Author Topic: Munchkin!  (Read 9982 times)

Offline kurashu

• Tinker Mechanic Programmer Player
    • View Profile
Munchkin!
« on: November 16, 2011, 11:15:29 AM »
And also Munchkin Quest.

How does everyone feel about this game made to poke fun at our craft of finding the best combination to layout the competition?

Munchkin doesn't get played too often in my group of friends due to some overzealous Munchkins (he takes trash talk to a whole new level and mock masturbated on everyone once), but Munchkin Quest gets regular requests (mostly when I don't have it with me...).

Offline Shadowhunter

• E6/E8 fanboy.
    • View Profile
    • The additional vestige collection for all you Binder players out there.
Re: Munchkin!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 11:40:30 AM »
I love Munchkin, it's so much fun  :)

Offline weenog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 03:27:52 PM »
I play Munchkin and variants now and then, I like it.  At my household we interpret the Cheat card rather liberally (items you can't normally use which Cheat will enable include other players' items, items dug out of the discard pile or the deck, item-like door cards such as ships in Munchkin Booty, even items from other games, but so far nobody has dared pull out a yugioh card or anything like that).

Zombie Munchkin is one we only really play when company comes over, thanks to one game that amused the hell out of me and pissed off my roommates something fierce.  That juju zombie's ability to recycle curses is hideously unfair when you're playing with only 3 players.
"Whoops, forgot to roll my fire and holy damage."
"I doubt she's going to make a DC 111 Fort save, anyway."

Offline Shadowhunter

• E6/E8 fanboy.
    • View Profile
    • The additional vestige collection for all you Binder players out there.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 05:21:06 PM »
I hope you all play with the official unofficial rule that you can cheat as much as you like as long as you get away with it?
It makes the games a lot more interesting.
I don't know if that's an actual rule or if it's just the way everyone around here have played the game for the 10-odd years it's been around.

Offline weenog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 05:30:45 PM »
I think that's an actual rule, and I do play with it.  The cheating doesn't get too rampant, though.  Soon enough folks fall into cheating patterns and we wind up checking for it.

"Hold it, how many cards in your hand?"
"Five."
"That's a pretty thick five, lemme see that." *spreads cards apart* "Looks more like 12 to me."

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 11:05:09 PM »
"I'll help you for two treasures"
"Nah, I'm good."
"Ok, +5 to the monster, you're losing. I'll help you for three treasures."

Fun times.

Offline kurashu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 10:54:38 AM »
I play Munchkin and variants now and then, I like it.  At my household we interpret the Cheat card rather liberally (items you can't normally use which Cheat will enable include other players' items, items dug out of the discard pile or the deck, item-like door cards such as ships in Munchkin Booty, even items from other games, but so far nobody has dared pull out a yugioh card or anything like that).

This I like. Next munchkin game, I'm pulling this.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 01:06:28 PM »
I like Munchkin, and my wife's non-D&D-playing cousins love it. The only card in there I really hate is the Kneepads of Alluring, or you-win-the-game-forever.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline weenog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 03:01:09 PM »
I like Munchkin, and my wife's non-D&D-playing cousins love it. The only card in there I really hate is the Kneepads of Alluring, or you-win-the-game-forever.

Me too.  Good target for Annihilation, though if you can get your hands on Annihilation and make it clear both that you have it and that the kneepads are going away if they ever target you, you can avoid them without even having to spend Annihilation, in my experience.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 07:04:28 PM »
Half the game is spent in bargains and threats and you can do it with stuff you may not even have. It's great if you're the power house of the group. Not so much when you play with the same people and they all end up ganging up on you - at least until you can weasily one of them to your side since their buddy as at lv8 already and you're "just at 2" (with a handful of GUAL cards).

Offline Arturick

• Ascended Fatbeard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 11:25:52 AM »
Wizard class = win.  You can just keep charming monsters for loot until you don't need anyone else's help.

Offline kurashu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 12:58:02 PM »
Half the game is spent in bargains and threats and you can do it with stuff you may not even have. It's great if you're the power house of the group. Not so much when you play with the same people and they all end up ganging up on you - at least until you can weasily one of them to your side since their buddy as at lv8 already and you're "just at 2" (with a handful of GUAL cards).

Only half? That's the bulk of our games. It's like Risk, except without having to block off eight hours to play. Then again, most of us are diabolic bastards.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 02:42:16 PM »
Wizard class = win.  You can just keep charming monsters for loot until you don't need anyone else's help.
I discovered that, too. If I'm not lucky, I'll run into nothing but high level monsters for the first five or more turns. As a wizard, that becomes a good thing, and not a bad thing.  :plotting

Cleric is also nice, but it's really situational. Drawing from the top of the discards can be great, although the player to your left might have a bit of control in what ends up there.

I like how even in Munchkin, casters are still better than everyone else.  :fu
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Satori

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 04:22:32 PM »

naturally.  Swinging a sword < Bending reality.

Offline Bloody Initiate

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 08:58:18 AM »
My group hasn't played Munchkin in a long time, which is a bit weird really because we actually used to play it a LOT. I suppose phases like that wax and wane. In games where you build yourself up and win I tend to prefer just to accumulate as much power as possible and revel in it rather than go ahead and win the game. I remember in one game I got the cards to effectively defeat any challenge a few times over, and I deliberately avoided scoring the winning point for as long as possible because having the power to win any time at will was more entertaining. I liked holding on to a bunch of "gnome" cards because as a warrior I liked imagining that I actually had several gnomes shackled to me and any time I needed a boost I'd immolate one.
(click to show/hide)

Offline CKorfmann

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 04:24:40 PM »
My love of Munchkin led me to become a MIB for SJGames.  My collection is expanding.  Now to get someone to play with me...

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 06:44:24 PM »
I'm'n'a have to try Munchkin sometime soon.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 09:14:13 PM »
Played it, liked it.

( I am not nearly as good at cheating as my sister though. I swear she sometimes does sleight of hand tricks while rolling dice)

My favourite is probably Munchkin Cthulhu, since the extra win condition gives everyone a  new thing to look out for. We once had a game where a  player won before anyone killed a monster (going up to level 2 for being the last normal human and then becoming a cultist to end the game prematurely)

Offline Braininthejar

• Legendary Member
  • I'm old...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2016, 06:48:38 PM »
The Cthulu expansion is probably the best - the alternative way of winnin g the game changes the game dynamics significantly.

on the bad side - I tend to remove Chairman Mao from the deck when playing Munchkin Fu - it's just too mean.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 02:47:01 PM »
I like the Bard better, recycle the lower level treasure into forcing people to help you get more and you get a level for winning (or the perk of trying to kill someone if not).