Author Topic: Anime & Manga 5: HISSATSU OUGI!  (Read 46691 times)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Anime & Manga 5: HISSATSU OUGI!
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2015, 10:43:27 PM »
So, has anybody seen DBZ: the Revival of Frieza yet?  What did people think of it?
Of course. It's honestly up there as far as DB animation goes. Probably the best way to think of things is Hollywood Sequalitis. More characters, more fighting, less plot. Just turn off your brain and enjoy.

Goku as you probably know unlocked a new Super Cyan mode. DB:S is just a anima-filler+commercial version of the films, at least for the first two of the three arcs. Oh, and the GT fans have linked DB:S into the GT timeline much to the dismay of the GT haters.

Edit - So DB:S's quality went to the dogs.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 05:12:54 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2015, 05:46:55 PM »
Anyone here watch Familiar of Zero?

I watched a bit on Youtube and *sigh*
I need a good protagonist-is-competent show. Instead of dealing with a 14 year old kid handed the keys to the universe and a dozen girls panties but all he can do is blush and fail at life. Kind of something where someone who knows what the heck they are doing, but maybe not so far as the only plot element is how badassed the hero can appear (ie no Guts-like shows).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 08:32:58 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2015, 06:07:49 PM »
I heard that the plot took a dive into fanservice at the expense of everything else post Season-1.  I did watch the first season; it was an alright show with some neat ideas.  I did like the whole modern guy getting summoned into a fantasy world, plus a magic-using nobility and the hints of other modern folk having been teleported there.

Anyway, Space Dandy expires from Hulu in 4 days; it's by the same creators of Cowboy Bebop, but more of a comedy show.  It's quite funny, with some heartwarming moments like Episode 5.

Also, I'm on Ep 14 of Kill La Kill.  This show is awesome and dumb in equal measures.  Don't Lose Your Way makes for fantastic music to listen to while writing.

Edit: 3,000th post!  Hell yeah!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 06:33:03 PM by Libertad »

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2015, 07:41:11 PM »
SPOILER ALERT: The awesome escalates past the dumb quite sharply past a certain point of the plot.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2015, 07:42:05 PM »
Edit: 3,000th post!  Hell yeah!
Grats, now you only have 1x10^65536 more posts to catch up to Prime.

SPOILER ALERT: The awesome escalates past the dumb quite sharply past a certain point of the plot.
Which one?

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2015, 08:04:54 PM »
That'd be Kill La Kill, SorO.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2015, 09:48:11 PM »
I didn't get all the HYPE behind Kill La Kill, to be honest. Yes, it's a good anime. Not stellar, not AMAZING, but good. It has its awesome moments, yes, but some episodes i was just... Uh, why am i watching this anyway? Then something incredible or incredibly stupid happened, and i was like "WOW!" or laughed, then it'd go meh again... Normally when i really like an Anime i binge watch the shit out of it, but it took me nearly two weeks to get through Kill la Kill because sometimes i couldn't watch more than two episodes in a row without thinking i could be doing something better with my time. It wasn't bad enough that i didn't want to know what happened afterwards, but it wasn't good enough either, that i wanted to know what happened afterwards RIGHT NOW.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2015, 01:22:58 AM »
Like any Gainax anime worth its salt, Kill la Kill is something you either love or hate - or you hate the hype behind it.  :p

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2015, 09:51:41 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2015, 10:09:18 PM »

I need a good protagonist-is-competent show. Instead of dealing with a 14 year old kid handed the keys to the universe and a dozen girls panties but all he can do is blush and fail at life. Kind of something where someone who knows what the heck they are doing, but maybe not so far as the only plot element is how badassed the hero can appear (ie no Guts-like shows).

The light novel is much better. It takes a while for Saito to grow balls, though.

Sad thing is Noboru Yamaguchi (the author) died in 2013...

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2015, 10:06:13 AM »

The protagonist in Aldnoah Zero is competent, despite being like 14.  You've probably already seen Code Geass, but that's got a competent protagonist, too.  Both take a bit of a dive after the first season, but still decent.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2015, 11:35:59 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2015, 04:46:41 PM »
I tried Kill La Kill (it's on netflix btw) but not so much. Thanks for the suggestion through.

Seen, read, attempted to get an IV drip of, Code Geass. Amazing show. And yeah I've seen Death Note and such too. Aldnoah Zero is new, Wikipedia says the guys that worked on Fate/Zero (the only one I've read, then watched) did it too so I'll check that out here in a bit.

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2015, 12:01:51 AM »
Let me know what you think.  If you liked Fate/Zero, Fate/Stay Night (Unlimited Blade Works) is probably even a little better.

But, man, do I fucking hate that series' titling convention. 

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2015, 11:13:03 AM »
So I just finished reading Franken Fran.

It's a great ride (in a morbid curiosity sort of way) but it's a shame it's so freakin' short. I find myself wanting to read more of it, or more of its like, and I just can't find it.  :bigeyes

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2015, 12:22:01 AM »
Caught up to Overlord, and have to say - enjoying it greatly. I could do with less fanservice, but it's not ridiculous levels, so I'm fine with it.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2015, 12:30:01 AM »
Finished watching Kill La Kill today.  It was a fun ride.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2015, 12:53:33 AM »
Finished watching Kill La Kill today.  It was a fun ride.

Just a year late. Good job. :P

Now go watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann if you want something by the exact same people but a different genre. :lmao

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2015, 02:13:43 PM »
If Kill la Kill was done by the Gurren Lagann team as a fanservice anime, and Gurren Lagann was done as a mecha anime...

...I wonder what they'do do as a martial arts anime.

Or, Cthulhu forbid, A SPORTS ANIME.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2015, 04:27:47 PM »
MURDER BALL: Super-sayan-strength soccer players who go on barren planets to play their matches because every kick is so strong it causes localized nuclear explosions where the player's feet meet the soccer ball (which is made of a super-dense-super-strong material only found on stellar cores of neutron stars). The lead is bringing the sport to a whole new level, where entire solar systems and eventually even galaxies need to be evacuated for the matches to occur.

MARTIAL ARTS ANIME: PUNCHES SO HARD IT GOES BACK IN TIME AND KILLS THE BAD GUY WHILE HE'S STILL IN HIS MOTHER'S UTERUS ERASING HIS ENTIRE EXISTANCE! BLACK HOLES ARE CREATED AND ANNIHILATED, ULTIMATE BLOW RESETS THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE SAVING IT FROM EXTINCTION FROM AN EVIL GOD.

"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life