Author Topic: Palette - Add or ban ingredients  (Read 7726 times)

Offline midnight_v

• It is good and fitting to die for the dice...
    • View Profile
Re: Palette - Add or ban ingredients
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 12:32:39 AM »
Yes:
- Behind-the-scenes political and cultural influence by outer-planar creatures. (sirp)
- at least 2 non-traditional Psionic Races (M_v)

No:
- Gods exist, but they represent abstract ideas (like Justice, Power, Peace, etc), they are not intelligent beings. (Dictum Mortuum)
- Ancient civilizations exist, but were no more advanced than the pre-war civilization.(SDK)
- Predictive & extrasensory divinations more powerful than augury and similar (including scrying). (sirp)
- Elvish awesome. Keeping that the ancient civilizations aren't more powerful, elves will not have high magic, okay, but to ensure that they are NOT the LOTR elves. We get wild nature elves only. . .
"Disentegrate...gust of wind. Can we please get back to saving the world now?"

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 08:09:28 AM »
I'll pass!

I feel that trope is overused, and doesn't particularly add anything to this game. I like the R&D side of warfare and don't like it being overshadowed/sidetracked by a philosophy of "you know, we can dig up better ones than that."

What are you referring to?

I'll give an example. Take Eberron and Warforged. They're presented as a recent innovation that changed the face of warfare and one of the pinnacles of modern technology in the ECS. Then Secrets of Xen'drik comes out and we find out they're just copycat clones of ancient technology. Now ancient civilizations are nice for dungeon delving games - they explain the great loot - but since we're talking a power struggle here I want any advancements to come from the merit of the nation/organization rather than "plot device: we found an airship! let's make more."

Anyway...

Yes:
- Behind-the-scenes political and cultural influence by outer-planar creatures. (sirp)
- at least 2 non-traditional Psionic Races (M_v)

No:
- Gods exist, but they represent abstract ideas (like Justice, Power, Peace, etc), they are not intelligent beings. (Dictum Mortuum)
- Ancient civilizations exist, but were no more advanced than the pre-war civilization.(SDK)
- Predictive & extrasensory divinations more powerful than augury and similar (including scrying). (sirp)
- Elvish awesome. Keeping that the ancient civilizations aren't more powerful, elves will not have high magic, okay, but to ensure that they are NOT the LOTR elves. We get wild nature elves only. . .
- "Auto-counter" spells like Death Ward, Mind Blank, Wind Wall(vs. arrows), etc. do not work 100%. (SDK)

Auto-counter fix (open to suggestions if you have fix of your own): works normal against foes 4 or more levels beneath you. Others must make a level check DC your caster level+11. Success means they ignore the automatic failure for the duration, while failure means the auto-counter works against them as written for the duration.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 10:13:44 AM by skydragonknight »
Hmm.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 08:20:15 AM »
Love that ban, SDK.  You picked up on where I was going with the divination stuff.

I thought about banning planar travel/teleportation... but didn't want to go there entirely.

Anyway, since DM passed, I think that's it for the Palette.  DM, when you create the next thread, post in here to let us know.  Also, do you want to add the big picture and palette into the timeline thread for easy reference?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.