Author Topic: WE're Discussing SCIENCE here, friends! [Discussion Thread]  (Read 17243 times)

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
Re: WE're Discussing SCIENCE here, friends! [Discussion Thread]
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 02:42:36 AM »
To be honest I was partially inspired by Hemalurgy, which has some aspects in common(effects dependent upon the material and placement of the spikes),though Gramarie should do it quite differently.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 11:50:51 AM »
Transcholar is up.  I'm sure it will need editing, so feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline ScionoftheVoid

• Lurker
  • I'm new, please don't hurt me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 05:00:10 PM »
I've just started re-reading the system, so I can't really offer many thoughts on the Transcholar. I do like the Transcendence capstone working in all the required principles, but on the other hand it seems like a lot of required principles - at least at first glance. You only get five principles that are freely chosen if you obtain all of the Applied Focus ones, and while there aren't that many principles to begin with (and so five is still rather a lot) that's still an awful lot of choices to be locked in.
I also think you meant to say in Transcendence that if you used IMCH388 you can spend uses of Minor Virtuality to become fully corporeal, since you're already incorporeal at that point. Unless I'm really missing something, which is entirely possible.

However, mostly posting to give an idea for a GEOC/IMCH combination prestige class with a capstone which allows it to trick Geoccultic Poles into thinking they have more mass than they actually do (for the purpose of critical mass, expending mass for upkeep and such) - probably called World of Pure Imachination. Partially putting this here so that I remember it if I take up making such a prestige class once I've finished re-reading, and partially to put the idea out there if anyone else would like to use it (I don't mind).

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 05:46:35 PM »
I've just started re-reading the system, so I can't really offer many thoughts on the Transcholar. I do like the Transcendence capstone working in all the required principles, but on the other hand it seems like a lot of required principles - at least at first glance. You only get five principles that are freely chosen if you obtain all of the Applied Focus ones, and while there aren't that many principles to begin with (and so five is still rather a lot) that's still an awful lot of choices to be locked in.
I also think you meant to say in Transcendence that if you used IMCH388 you can spend uses of Minor Virtuality to become fully corporeal, since you're already incorporeal at that point. Unless I'm really missing something, which is entirely possible.

Good catch on the typo, fixed.  Definitely corporeal.

As for the required principles... Honestly, those are some of the most generally useful principles in the system (maybe except for BIOY101 if you're not into that sort of thing), so most people are probably going to learn them anyway.  Then, the HEUR and IMCH stuff is really the problem, in that you're forced to take stuff from both disciplines... and yeah, I understand that that may be a bit much.  Honestly, I have no idea if anyone is going to like or want this prc... I just had the inspiration and thought it was a cool premise.

Offline ScionoftheVoid

• Lurker
  • I'm new, please don't hurt me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 06:04:41 PM »

Good catch on the typo, fixed.  Definitely corporeal.

As for the required principles... Honestly, those are some of the most generally useful principles in the system (maybe except for BIOY101 if you're not into that sort of thing), so most people are probably going to learn them anyway.  Then, the HEUR and IMCH stuff is really the problem, in that you're forced to take stuff from both disciplines... and yeah, I understand that that may be a bit much.  Honestly, I have no idea if anyone is going to like or want this prc... I just had the inspiration and thought it was a cool premise.
Yeah, it's just... More than half your principles locked in seems excessive, even if they are likely to be chosen anyway.

It would be less overwhelming to have some kind of powered-down version of Transcendence, or some other benefit to fifth level, and have the full power version only usable by getting all the components.

I think it's reasonable to require some HEUR and IMCH principles to get into the class, since it's a prestige class about blending them, but having a class feature make you take principles from other disciplines is a bit off - thematically, if nothing else. If nothing can be done, nothing can be done, but it's really weird seeing a class combining two disciplines that makes you take principles from others.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 06:27:10 PM »
Yeah, I totally understand where you're coming from... I'm not sure what a "powered down version of Transcendance" would look like, though.

Gah, any suggestions here on how to avoid this crap, folks?

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
I took out two of the required principles (HEUR302 and IMCH388), since I already have them as optional in the Essence Vault description.  They give you extra functionality, but aren't required for the concept like the rest of them are.  Does that help?

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 09:25:58 PM »
Have most of the principles be optional; then, give benefits for them.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Arcanist

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Dreaming the Red Wizard's Dream...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 09:54:30 PM »

Also make note of what happens if the Gramarist has access to making a fully functioning Demiplane as opposed to creating a small Semi-space.

Offline Omnicrat

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 09:56:36 PM »
Alternatively, you could let other gramarists prepare the non-IMCH/HEUR principles required.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 10:00:40 PM »
Seconding, have a very bare bones core(enough to actually transcend yourself and generate an avatar), then further Gramaritical stuff grants benefits as you customize your pocket dimension.

I'm admittedly a little iffy about the idea of having your main existence offsite for an adventurer though. Is signal loss possible?
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 10:39:04 PM »
What would you consider the bare bones stuff?

YGGD101 I guess you could do without if you don't mind having your stuff out in the open... ELDK101 if you don't mind staying in one place... anything else you can strip down?

Offline kellus

• Honorary Mod
  • 'SUP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2012, 04:22:35 AM »
Hey everybody, sorry for the inactivity, really busy with christmas shenanigans. I promise that once things settle down I'll be right back to making more stuff for this! :tongue

Offline Arcanist

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2012, 08:05:41 PM »
I'd like some help developing a defined campaign setting for Gramarie. It takes a special kind of world to actually let the players perform to their absolute creative limit. Most of the time when I think about a from scratch Gramarie campaign setting I think of a featureless background with a lot of constructs of Gramarie (Buildings, chassis inhabiting the streets, Yellow Screens connected to a heuristic circuit for a traffic system, Orthogonal Engine powered cars, etc) and what disappoints me the most is that I don't see people in this world. The world has no story and is ultimately boring...  :-\

SO! I want to create an entire world similar to the realm that encourages the use of Gramarical principles and Psionics, but shuns the use of Arcane/Divine Magic. It would include Vestiges being bound to Soulless Chassis, Druids living in Geoccultic Biomes, Cities elevated by powerful Eldrikinetic Ascending Engines, Fighters wielding Golden Blades harder then Adamantine, Rogues hidden behind Imachination empowered cloaks.

...So... Who wants to write a story with me? :)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2012, 01:19:57 PM »
I'm in!  :D

Offline Arcanist

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2012, 02:44:59 PM »
I'm in!  :D

YAY!  :D

This weekend I'll start work on the adjustments for the casters to make them fairly interact with the world. Does anyone have a good map making program? :)

EDIT: The Chrononaut is ready for review :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 07:20:59 PM by Arcanist »

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2012, 06:37:53 PM »
I'll help; I've got a campaign that's going to be run in and around a grammarie Factory-Citadel that existed before the engineer gods turned science off.

Only for a bit, though; part of the whole thing is going to be the players finding old grammarie artifacts, and using them to bring SCIENCE! back to the world.

So, all I'm saying is that I already have some stuff I can donate...

Also, I'm working on a few things, that I might end up posting tonight if all works out well (I need something to block my cold...)

- Software for EIs! Because I needed them to be able to do some things for my setting that aren't currently rules supported.

- Alternate Silver transformers! This version will convert emotions to ebbs and vice versa. Because we already have godless machines, so why not have some inhuman ones as well.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Arcanist

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2012, 10:37:04 PM »
I'll help; I've got a campaign that's going to be run in and around a grammarie Factory-Citadel that existed before the engineer gods turned science off.

Hmm... Do tell me the name of this Engineer God :smirk

Only for a bit, though; part of the whole thing is going to be the players finding old grammarie artifacts, and using them to bring SCIENCE! back to the world.

So, all I'm saying is that I already have some stuff I can donate...

I'd also like to see these Artifacts :D donate anything you can, I must admit I like your additions to Gramarie. I might be working on something with Sunmetal and a Lead Transformer to allow it to be used to cure diseases :p

Also, I'm working on a few things, that I might end up posting tonight if all works out well (I need something to block my cold...)

Please do, hope you feel better :(

• Software for EIs! Because I needed them to be able to do some things for my setting that aren't currently rules supported.
  • Alternate Silver transformers! This version will convert emotions to ebbs and vice versa. Because we already have godless machines, so why not have some inhuman ones as well.

Fascinating :clap eager to see them

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2013, 05:21:34 PM »
Kellus, when are you going to port over the xenoalchemy prestige classes you put on gitp?

Offline Arcanist

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2013, 11:21:20 PM »
Eager to see the new content  :bigeyes