Author Topic: Southpaw OOC  (Read 45595 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Southpaw OOC
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
What, are there no other astronomers? Does it never get observed beforehand? :P

Or do they just reset? Is this some sort of cosmic cat-resurrecting box?  @_@

Quantum mechanics: seemingly there just to mess with everyone's heads. Like light. As a quantum object, it somehow manages to go everywhere in the universe at once... and then probability dictates it ends up where everyone expects. Most of the time. Probability is... amplitude squared? Something like that. Or probability squared is amplitude. Too lazy to remember at this time of day. Was too busy playing with how mirrors work when doing that... XD

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2013, 08:36:44 PM »
What, are there no other astronomers? Does it never get observed beforehand? :P

Or do they just reset? Is this some sort of cosmic cat-resurrecting box?  @_@
Lol!  No, astronomical phenomena are not unique, they happen all over the place and all the time.  So, you're just observing one that's happening right now.

Quantum mechanics: seemingly there just to mess with everyone's heads. Like light. As a quantum object, it somehow manages to go everywhere in the universe at once... and then probability dictates it ends up where everyone expects. Most of the time. Probability is... amplitude squared? Something like that. Or probability squared is amplitude. Too lazy to remember at this time of day. Was too busy playing with how mirrors work when doing that... XD
Yeah, it's pretty damn confusing :)
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2013, 08:40:03 PM »
The universe must be pretty phenomenal for this to be happening all the time. :O

I don't think it's so bad on its own. But when you have to go from those uniform motion equations to the nature of light... now that's confusing. And tunnelling is just rude, even if it does make awesome microscopes. Borrowing energy from the universe? For shame. D<

Thought experiments are fun, though. Even if Schrodinger did choose a cat.

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2013, 08:46:41 PM »
If you take the "Einstein's Experiments" Astrolabe Technique you turn all your phenomena into thought experiments. Instead of looking at it with a spyglass, you think about it and it happens!

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2013, 08:49:15 PM »
That just seems like cheating (in the in-universe sense). XD

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2013, 01:10:24 AM »
FitS, are you following the Astronomer's expanding phenomena list?

I've been without internet since Thursday afternoon, and finally just took a look at the updated Constellations and Phenomena, and they look AWESOME!  I'm definitely going to need to figure out some common tactical paths, though.

EDIT:  SirP, don't forget to finish the Astronomer fluff as well.  It wouldn't do for you to get DQ'd...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:13:00 AM by FireInTheSky »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2013, 10:49:59 PM »
What kind of feats would be useful for an Astronomer? 

Also, SirP, any plans for specific Astronomer feats?  Maybe something like Extra (Astrolabe) Technique or Increased Orrey Use?

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2013, 06:34:29 AM »
Can you be a Fire Lesser Tielfling? The bonus to int would be useful :)

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2013, 07:03:47 AM »
He's a Rite Born. They get an Int bonus and they're the Ritualist race.

Rite Born don't actually get serious mechanical bonuses from using rituals (DR 1/ - is cool but not all that powerful) so a lesser planetouched, Arcane Gnome, Aleithian Dwarf, or Beguiler might be marginally better stat wise but Rite Born has much more flavor potential and adding the Fire subrace to a race that's already pushing the power envelope might edge into the near T0 territory we're supposed to be avoiding.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:16:17 AM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2013, 10:29:13 AM »
What kind of feats would be useful for an Astronomer? 

Also, SirP, any plans for specific Astronomer feats?  Maybe something like Extra (Astrolabe) Technique or Increased Orrey Use?

I'm not sure... I think not on the Extra Technique, since they're kinda character-defining.  Extra Orrey Use... maybe.  I may or may not write feats for the class, it's a lower priority.

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2013, 02:35:38 AM »
Okay, I know i have to put up my history, but how are the rest of us doing?
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2013, 02:54:34 AM »
I'm completely finished mechanically. My backstory is sorta stalled. I may scrap what I've got so far and rewrite it in summary form. In any case, nothing that couldn't be done quickly if it needed to be.

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2013, 03:04:49 AM »
I am also finished mechanically. I am kinda swamped right now and didn't have the time to write the background, but if everyone finishes I can write a really condensed  one covering the main points.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2013, 08:36:06 PM »
Sirp, what would you think of Lord Reginald Kensington, VII being Lesser Carceri Planetouched?

Highlights are:
  +4 Int, -2 Cha,
  Jailbreaker (Su): IntMod/day, teleport a distance up to your base land speed as a move action. You must be able to see where you're teleporting, and the space to be teleported to must be vacant. By expending two uses of this ability, it may be executed as a swift action. By expending three uses, it may be used as an immediate action, resolving before everything else (like damage).

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2013, 08:40:48 PM »
Sirp, what would you think of Lord Reginald Kensington, VII being Lesser Carceri Planetouched?

Highlights are:
  +4 Int, -2 Cha,
  Jailbreaker (Su): IntMod/day, teleport a distance up to your base land speed as a move action. You must be able to see where you're teleporting, and the space to be teleported to must be vacant. By expending two uses of this ability, it may be executed as a swift action. By expending three uses, it may be used as an immediate action, resolving before everything else (like damage).
I've already said no lesser version of these planetouched... You can soak the LA on one side of the gestalt, if you want.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2013, 09:05:30 PM »

Would you use that instead of Fire Riteborn or as well as? Personally, I think Fire Rite Born is awesome flavor for your character (esp if you refluff the Fire aspect as a Sun or Star type thing) and easily powerful enough for this game.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2013, 09:32:25 PM »

Highlights are:
  +4 Int, -2 Cha,
I've already said no lesser version of these planetouched... You can soak the LA on one side of the gestalt, if you want.
Oh right, I forgot about that.  Forget it then.  It's not worth losing Lesser Rituals or a 4th Conjunction & Star Chart (Star)

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2013, 06:00:33 PM »
{drifts silently into scene} {then announces presence from behind a large potted palm near the rear curtain}

So I was in a side conversation with SirP about this game as he told me about its amazingness, and of course I said “I have to bring a character into this!!” – What else?!?

I PMed him a bunch of possibilities. He liked the weirdest one, of course, a smalljammer turned astronomer – what could be more natural? Besides, it was an excuse for SirP to write another monster class… irresistible.

So then I was in a side conversation with FITS about astronomer, and while he was initially disappointed not to be the singular party astronomer, he got into the idea of having an assistant who would help him push the question already raised in this thread: What happens when two astronomers observe simultaneously? Holy Quantum, Batman, it has to be weirder. He’s still by far the lead party astronomer: he's got 8 levels of Astronomer, and he’s Lord someone, while she’s a low-profile unknown, definitely with fewer levels of Astronomer… at most Smalljammer 1, Astronomer 7 and maybe more like Smalljammer 3, Astronomer 5. Or some other two levels that make sense (1,2,5 instead of 3,5).

Now SirP has another challenge: Rules for coordinated observation!

Not only that – glutton for punishment – he also has the ancestor side to deal with in my “weirdest on the list” idea. Radiance Elemental 1, Time Elemental 1, Crystal{Photo} Mage 6 (Magipunk) – or maybe Crystal Mage 5 or 4 and Tome Thief-Acrobat 1 or 2. Woo hoo! Two more monster classes to write!

There you have it. Mechanics, when? Who knows (actually only SirP knows). But I posted some backstory, probably enough to get by for roleplay purposes. So I’m ready to role, even with a complex name. I had some ideas I liked and at last one fully settled in: CaraVela. She’s used a lot of names in the past anyway, not just one.

Here’s the briefest recent backstory, as posted:

I have both my public place and my private quarters at the Academy, the last bungalow on the outskirts since I don’t need to keep much (I’m my own storage) and hardly stay in it. Helping the Royal Academy with research as Lord Reginald’s laboratory assistant by day, fly out to the stars in person by night. Or is it the other way around? That astronomer has turned my life upside down… or right side up. Either way, I love the work. And he loves having an assistant so we can combine constellations, conjunctions, phenomena… two simultaneous observers make even stranger things happen!

Hi, all!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 06:05:38 PM by MetroMagic »

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2013, 06:08:40 PM »
Sounds totally awesome, only... what is a Smalljammer? Your link in the sheet goes nowhere, and I've never heard the term before.

Still, definite awesomeness. More magicky types is something the party could definitely use.

Now we just have to confirm whether Drammor is still planning on playing. Anyone have any idea on that one?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2013, 06:23:56 PM »
I think Drammor dropped...

I sent MM a PM -- I don't think I can do the smalljammer.  It's just too weird to convert it to a monster class.  If someone else would like to give it a go, you're welcome to...

(CNC: Smalljammer is a type of spelljammer.  As in, a magic space ship.)