Author Topic: Cropping Video - Help?  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Even forever must end, I think. ...
    • View Profile
    • Legend RPG, Rule of Cool Gaming
Cropping Video - Help?
« on: November 08, 2011, 10:19:58 PM »
I want to edit a video to zoom in and crop the rest out for part of the video, and for that area to move - that is, within the whole of the video, say it's made of the following areas for simplicity:

A1,B1,C1,D1,E1
A2,B2,C2,D2,E2
A3,B3,C3,D3,E3
A4,B4,C4,D4,E4

For most of the video, I want to use the whole area from A1 to E4, but for part of it I want to use C2 to D3, and for part of it I want to use D3 to E4. I'd like, if possible, the transition to be smooth (as I said, zoom) rather than simply cutting between clips cropped differently. If, however, what I'm talking about is impossible (I doubt it, but maybe I have too much faith in software), then advice for the closest substitute would still help a lot.

I need advice for any freeware how to accomplish this.

Additionally, advice on how to scale the entire thing to a smaller size (in pixels) is appreciated.

Thanks, everyone!
"You had a tough day at the office. So you come home, make
yourself some dinner, smother your kids, pop in a movie, maybe
have a drink. It's fun, right? Wrong. Don't smother your kids."
- The More You Know

Offline Slaughterhouserock

• Hail to the king, baby.
    • View Profile
    • Horror Movie Fans
Re: Cropping Video - Help?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 05:57:09 AM »
I'm pretty sure Windows Movie Maker allows you to zoom in/out, but I haven't used it in years so I could be wrong.  I mostly use AVIdemux for simple editing, but it doesn't have that feature.  It can, however, scale it for you.  Just pop the video into the program, choose your video codec, click "Filters", and double click either "Resize" or "MPlayer Resize".  You'll have the option to set it to the size you want or use a sliding scale to adjust by percentage.
The DM giveth and the rogue taketh away.
I have a 5 in Charisma and Diplomacy is a cross-class skill.  Hopefully I don't piss off too many people.

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Even forever must end, I think. ...
    • View Profile
    • Legend RPG, Rule of Cool Gaming
Re: Cropping Video - Help?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 11:52:03 PM »
Thanks; the MPlayer Resize does help a lot, though I'll still look around a bit for something that can zoom for that part of the puzzle. Zwei Stein might work based on what I've heard, but I need to try it out.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 01:41:31 AM by Childe »
"You had a tough day at the office. So you come home, make
yourself some dinner, smother your kids, pop in a movie, maybe
have a drink. It's fun, right? Wrong. Don't smother your kids."
- The More You Know