Author Topic: Interesting Title Here  (Read 16958 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Title Here
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2012, 11:39:03 PM »
Yes, everyone's toy is homebrew :)
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline ShadowViper

• Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 11:41:40 PM »
Oh and just for clarifaction. It pretty much makes him an Old(in his case) Dragon for One Minute? Attributes, spells, caster level, size etc. The whole schbang?
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2012, 07:33:39 AM »
Yes, it does.  I would suggest working out his stats as an Old dragon for easy reference.

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2012, 06:38:39 AM »
Aye was planning to do just that but wanted to check before starting.  :D

Awesome item! Thank you!
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2012, 12:33:07 AM »
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 12:40:24 AM by ShadowViper »

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2013, 09:28:10 PM »
I'll try to get to everything ASAP.

Need to make a few adjustments that I overlooked when initially building him(thanks again for okaying it SirP!)

Then I'll make my initiative roll.

Then do the leveling process for both Mature Adult and Old versions.

Fairly simple, one level of Fighter, one level of Wizard.

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2013, 10:59:01 PM »
How would the acquisition of familiars be handled?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2013, 11:01:08 PM »
How would the acquisition of familiars be handled?
Not sure I understand the question. Do you mean if he has a familiar now due to gestalt, does he get it since we're mid-encounter?

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2013, 11:08:18 PM »
I didn't think we were going with Gesalt, thought that was just Team Good?

One of his two levels is his first wizard level, which means he gets a familiar, yet he's imprisoned on a layer of the Abyss and I imagine it might take awhile to find our way out.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2013, 11:11:20 PM »
I didn't think we were going with Gesalt, thought that was just Team Good?

One of his two levels is his first wizard level, which means he gets a familiar, yet he's imprisoned on a layer of the Abyss and I imagine it might take awhile to find our way out.
You could choose either 2 levels or 1 level + gestalt.

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2013, 11:14:14 PM »
I don't even know how I'd go about building a gesalt dragon.  :twitch

So will probably just stick with the 2 levels. After all, bring your favorite character, he's not going to be gesalt in my campaign.

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2013, 05:45:20 AM »
Easy entry of the Familiar:

The Familiar was lurking around on the surface of Bral, looking for you, or spying for you and waiting for an opportunity to report in... the Mariliths restored it too, from the flotsam and jetsam, so now it's up-close and personally in person. Stapled to the wall like everyone else, right next to you.

Does that work? If not, but you'd like the Familiar to be present, we'll work out something else.

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2013, 11:40:07 PM »
Better idea, more consistent with the Story:

The Mariliths topped you off with a Wizard Level or two that were floating around from the explosion.

If it's two Levels, they could be left over from the same Wizard, or... two different ones! Advantage: Twice as many spells on your resulting list, two different casters. Maybe you have both of their Familiars! Also, the Familiar(s) could be much higher Level than a Familiar could be for a low Level Wizard, because these are Familiars left over from high level ones.

I don't have a problem with this, because you may have a hard time keeping a low level Familiar alive, which is always the challenge for a Wizard. So... go for it! And don't hesitate to be exotic - this IS Bral. Or was.

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2013, 03:59:46 AM »
The first idea wouldn't work because he didn't have a familiar before.

He was going to always be a wizard, what he was planning, the explosion and the new life-force energy just sped things up a bit.

As he gains experience he'll be taking the improved familiar feat and will most likely be an imp who is a servant of Tiamat sent to assist him.

But in the mean-time he needs a regular animal familiar, and I don't see them being too common in the abyss, but if we're not going to be in the abyss for awhile, then no issue.

As for the levels, I appreciate the offer but I think I'll stick to the plan of one fighter level & one wizard level(have his stats all done aside from wizard spell selection). As for spellbook, he already has one(off of an adventurer) I didn't really mention it before because it was mostly just fluff. Figure it'd be the spell book of a typical universalist wizard of about 15th level. So that solves the problem of where he's getting his spellbook with the new shiny wizard level.

As for familiar survivability, I think it'll be tougher than the average familiar even if it's low level.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 04:04:19 AM by ShadowViper »

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2013, 10:35:11 PM »
If you'd rather have a shiny new Wizard level 1 of your own, that's fine.

If you would like to have your level of Wizard 1 be a tarnished, well-used Wizard level from some other strange and wonderful caster on Bral, probably a spacefaring Wizard, whose spell knowledge can enhance the spellbook you've been toting around, that's fine too, if you'd like to tap into a few surprises... who knows what could have been in that Wizard's head? You won't lose anything from the spellbook you've been toting, only add.

And if you want to wait for a Familiar, also fine, but if you'd like to inherit a high-level Familiar, one you wouldn't qualify for till a much later level, but you could have RIGHT NOW, that's ok too. Comes with the tarnish.

So - either way you'd like to play it is fine.

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2013, 05:06:14 AM »
Well I'd still like it to be mostly "him" so to speak, the added life energy just speeding along his normal progression.

As for familiar, I wouldn't mind getting the Imp early, but how would we handle Improved Familiar? Have it just as a bonus feat?

I will hopefully be getting the info about Throisar's future sent along via PM soon.

As for spelljaming, Throisar's world is that of traditional fantasy(High Magic), and he honestly really wouldn't use the knowledge when returning(other than having contingency plans in-case spelljammers ever show up again and wish to interfere, he would not say, start immediately building spaceships). Honestly, I'm not really a fan of the whole mixing medieval fantasy with spaceships  :-\ And honestly I don't really know anything about spelljamming, so for now the plan is just to keep him "him"

And as for the spellbook, how is that working exactly? Since it is a new wizard level, I assumed he'd have to study his spellbook in order to fill his shiny new wizard spell slots.

So for example, with the upcoming battle, he'd have his sorcerer spell slots all renewed(along with everything else) but would only beable to cast Read Magic for the wizard spell slots.

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2013, 07:30:25 PM »
If the Wizard Level arrived squeaky clean simply by accelerating his progression, then yes, it would arrive mostly blank, like any L1 Wizard. However, he is in "start of day" condition so he technically is prepared to learn a Spell or two…

… and in fact to Throisar’s surprise he finds the Spells already in his memory.

Then Throisar recalls something that seemed like a vision just before awakening, but the truth of it has just been proved … a vision of an enormous cavern, the ceiling disappearing up into uncharted reaches above. The only light is that of a fire burning in a forge, and a flat rectangular object being hammered on a huge anvil, sparks flying.

The anvil grabs his attention: it seems to be made of adamantine, shot through with veins of deep emerald that flash in the ultraviolet whenever the hammer drops. Then he notices the smith, a gigantic male dwarf, over 6 feet tall, with a barrel chest and a beard of sculpted stone. The dwarf's skin is the same earthen brown as the rock around him, and his eyes are the deep silver of mithril.

The smith says nothing, instead continuing to hammer. Those silver eyes move to Throisar where he stands 20 yards away, and suddenly he realizes -- no, he knows, as if he has always known, that hammering away with all one's strength is not, cannot be enough to finish the job.

A hammer is a tool of power, capable of delivering tremendous force, of shaping and molding to the will of the smith. However, it is the hand holding the hammer, the subtle shifts of position and momentum, which determine what the final form will be.

The eyes, liquid pools of mithril, do not leave Throisar as the dwarf stops hammering. He stands like a statue, no heaving chest or quivering arms to betray the effort that has just ceased. The smith takes the object from the anvil and blows on it, cooling the sparks. He hands it to Throisar; it is a book full of pages – Throisar recognizes it; it’s his Spell Book, the one he had acquired some time ago.

The Spell Book is open to new pages that had not been there before, and new Spells are written there that had not been there before.

As the Dwarf locks eyes with Throisar, Spells from the book are burned into his memory, the nastiest, most useful Spells Throisar could possibly know right at this moment, from the book’s previous contents and the new pages the Dwarf has added.

Throisar knows with certainty that this reforged Spell Book is now indestructible and that the new Spells on these particular pages can never be Erased.

The Dwarf’s gaze bores into him deeper, deeper, as if probing for his heart’s desire, and then Throisar feels the connection to a Familiar forged within him, its mind open to his, and full knowledge of it within him, and of him within it, as if they had always known. Then Throisar awakes, with the Familiar – now very familiar – stapled to the wall right next to him.

So pick your Spells with full knowledge of the situation at hand, whichever ones from any D&D resource that seem like the Spells that would help you deal with the situation best. And they are permanently inscribed in your Spell Book.

An Imp is next to you, if that’s your heart’s desire; however, it could also be a creature of Earth that is not on the usual lists – a Xorn, for example, which could be very useful in certain situations, or any creature that could be obtained from the Summon Divine Familiar spell.

The relationship forged between you and the Familiar is stronger than usual. One of its features: ALL your Levels count for ALL purposes in determining the Familiar’s abilities and powers, not just your Wizard Levels – including the ones where RAW already say to count all Levels, and also the ones where RAW say to only count your Wizard levels – that restriction has been overridden.

Count this as a Bonus Feat more or less equivalent to Improved Familiar – mostly, more: Divinely Improved Familiar.

This Familiar is treated both as an Improved Familiar and as a Divine Familiar. Where the rules differ for the two types, such as for the Familiar’s abilities or the relationship between you and the Familiar, the best alternative applies, or both apply simultaneously, whichever is better. It counts as both a Familiar and a Divine Familiar; you cannot have both this Familiar and another Familiar of either type; you can only have this Familiar.

For simplicity, the Familiar has the same INIT as Throisar, at least for this battle.

When thinking about your choices for a Familiar, I’m letting you know in advance now that Epic rules will apply to the Familiar, when we get there. :D

EDITED here, to clarify, and anticipate some questions:

Q: What does “from any D&D resource” mean? A. In choosing the Spells you received in your Spell Book and memory, you can choose Spells of the appropriate Levels from *any* list at all, not just WIS/SOR. You can choose Spells that already are WIS/SOR of course, if you’d rather stick to that, but you don’t have to.

Q. If you pick Spells that aren’t WIS/SOR, does that mean you can cast, say, Cleric spells? A. If they aren’t, then you will find that the versions in your Spell Book have been transcribed into an Arcane power source (instead of, for example, a Divine power source) and count as WIS/SOR Arcane versions that otherwise work just like their Cleric/Paladin, Bard, or whatever, counterpart, as much as possible – and there’s a little more to it that I’ll get into if you decide to go in this direction.

Q. How many Spells? A. However many you can memorize today, including bonus spells – all of them can be new ones you didn’t have before.

Q. What if you elect to memorize the same Spell twice, or a Spell you already had; does that reduce the number of new Spells in your Spell Book? A. He’s not going to get cheap on you and go there. You get the full complement of especially nasty, new Spells hammered into your Spell Book equal to the number you can memorize today, whether you choose to use them or not – your choice.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 12:04:54 AM by MetroMagic »

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2013, 02:02:10 AM »
I appreciate all the work I really do, but sadly I don't really see the scenario working, I will try to get Throisar's info sent along ASAP.

Throisar is a future chosen of Tiamat, quite simply, he would refuse the aid of another deity most likely.

I also fear this is becoming a bit more complicated for my liking, he's really not supposed to be an uber optimized character. Right now his caster level would be Sorcerer 7th and Wizard 1st.

For example, His build(as far as 20 chracter levels go) is pretty simple. 2 Fighter/8 Wizard/10 Eldritch Knight. Nothing fancy. KISS

As for the spellbook, while he has been carrying it around since he acquired it, he hasn't really studied it as a full wizard would study it. He has been studying it as a wizard apprentice that has yet to take his first wizard level. So he has yet to even prepare wizard spells for the first time.

This just doesn't really seem to be fitting so far, I'm sorry.

I apologize, this is really my fault for taking so long to get my mental notes collected and transferred to a PM and sent to both you and SirP regarding Thriosar's info.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:23:03 AM by ShadowViper »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2013, 09:14:47 AM »
SV, I'm guessing you won't want to do this, based on what I've been reading, but I just had another idea for you. If "Chosen of Tiamat" is what you're going for, here's a possible rebuild:

Green Dragon Racial HD X / Dragonmage x (with True Draconic Power) / Queen's Head X

This campaign has been going on for long enough that none of the Ethos stuff had been written when it started, so it wasn't even really an option at the time of character creation. It certainly keeps the initial fluff of your character, while giving a significant boost to spellcasting power, AND definitely increases the Tiamat connection. (If you wanted, you could even gestalt without too much trouble: Green Dragon Racial HD 15 // True Draconic Power Dragonmage 10 / Queen's Head 5)

Offline ShadowViper

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2013, 09:34:37 AM »
Thank you for the suggestion, but the build I've been planning is pretty much set in stone. Don't really want to change it too much.