Author Topic: Character thread: Ror  (Read 6568 times)

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
Character thread: Ror
« on: December 08, 2011, 10:46:11 PM »
Character thread for Ror

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
Re: Character thread: Ror
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 01:35:05 AM »
The sheet in this spoiler is Level 16. For level 17, see the next post.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:42:23 AM by FireInTheSky »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 01:45:32 AM »
Ror Fatefist
AL: ???
Concordant Opposition Planetouched Fire Hemopyrrhic Dwarf
Ritualist 16 / Saint 1 // Bloodfire Seeker 7 / Bloodfire Transcendant 5 / Ritual Prophet 5

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 04:17:30 AM by FireInTheSky »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 06:01:38 PM »
Current Ritual Load
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 05:25:01 AM by FireInTheSky »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 06:02:20 PM »
Ror’s SHAREABLE Ritual List – Part 1
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:29:45 AM by FireInTheSky »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 06:05:56 PM »
Ror’s SHAREABLE Ritual List – Part 2
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:29:24 AM by FireInTheSky »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 06:07:26 PM »
Valid Uses of Spell Ritual, Least
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:28:59 AM by FireInTheSky »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 06:08:12 PM »
Valid Uses of Spell Ritual, Lesser
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:28:36 AM by FireInTheSky »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 07:49:11 PM »
Valid Uses of Spell Ritual, Greater
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:28:13 AM by FireInTheSky »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 09:28:51 PM »
Of the Rituals charged, these are the ones Rors discharged immediately upon entering Bral.  Others will be discharged at the appropriate time.

Original:
Circle of Good Hope, Greater with Ritual of Emptiness, Greater

Copies:
Circle of Good Hope, Greater with Ritual of the Mind's Edge, Greater
Ritual of Emptiness, Greater
Ritual of Versatility: Ritual of Detection, Greater

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 12:49:48 PM »
Meanwhile, more than a year later, I finally got around to posting a background for Ror...

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 09:56:33 AM »
After some talk with MM, I have decided that I'm definitely going to do Saint 1 // Bloodfire Seeker 7, taking Fair Fight as my Virtue.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 11:49:26 PM »
In the process of doing this, I re-figured my BAB and Saves. Instead of counting each increase at each level across ALL classes (which is what I did originally cause I didn't really know better :blush), I just added up each side and took the larger total for each individual stat (simpler than Fractional, while not as broken as going per level per class across both sides). Ok, I took the time to do it properly (fractional). All told (including level-up):
  • BAB went from +16 to +14
  • Base Fort save went from +14 to +10 +13
  • Base Ref save went from +6 to +7
  • Base Will save went from +14 to +12 stayed at +14

EDIT: Sheet now has a table showing Gestalt Fractional BAB and Saves.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 10:11:59 PM by FireInTheSky »

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 01:10:53 AM »
As Ror focuses on the situation before him with Mariliths, Witchlight Marauders, Uruk-Hai, and chaos, and contemplates his options, head clearing from what feels like a tremendous smash all over his body, memory floods back into his mind, as fresh as if it just happened – which perhaps is just what did happen.

Ror remembers… he is in an enormous emerald cavern, the ceiling disappearing up into uncharted reaches above. The only light is that of a fire burning in a forge, and an object being hammered on a huge anvil by the poll of a single bladed axehead held blade up. Green sparks fly. The anvil seems to be made of adamantine, shot through with veins of deep emerald that flash in the ultraviolet when the poll of the axehead strikes.

But Ror’s attention is torn from the anvil by that tremendous strike; he feels as if the hammering axehead has just smashed into… him. His senses reel, settle, come back into focus.

Ror notices the smith, a gigantic male dwarf, over 6 feet tall, with a barrel chest and a beard of sculpted stone. The dwarf's skin is the same earthen brown as the rock around him, and his eyes are the deep silver of mithril.

Father Dumathoin.

The smith says nothing; his silver eyes move to Ror where he stands twenty yards away, and suddenly Ror realizes -- no, Ror knows, recalls, a lesson taught long ago, that hammering away with all one's strength is not, cannot be enough to finish the job.

An axe is a tool of power, capable of delivering tremendous force, of shaping and molding to the will of the smith. However, it is the hand holding the axe, the subtle shifts of position and momentum, which determine what the final form will be, whether hammered or cleaved.

The eyes, liquid pools of mithril, do not leave Ror as the dwarf stops hammering. He stands like a statue, no heaving chest or quivering arms to betray the effort that has just ceased. The smith beckons to Ror, and… offers him the haft of the axe, blade up, poll down. Dumathoin stands back from the anvil, arms folded... Ror finds himself standing next to the anvil now, looking down on the object. It is himself.

Subtle shifts of position to determine the form… the axe is in his hands now, even heavier than he thought it would be. He can barely lift it straining with both arms. Dumathoin has given him the next blow. What shall Ror become? What has Dumathoin given him, what does Dumathoin want of him, to place the axe in his hands? Ror feels the certainty of yet another test.

Ror’s blow cannot be careless; he smashes himself into a new form with this blow. Responsibility lays heavy on him, heavier than the axe he holds. What is expected of me? Then the answer comes clear, suddenly obvious. I am now given… the freedom to act on Dumathoin’s behalf, in his name, with his tools. I am his tool, and I wield myself, with subtle shifts to determine my form. Ror’s certainty of service, that he is Dumathoin’s tool, but a tool charged to wield himself in Dumathoin’s name, instantly makes the axe light. He raises it overhead and smashes down the poll with tremendous power but delicately, delicately all the same, forming himself into the most perfect tool in Dumathoin’s holy name that he can manage with his skill in this instant. I am acting in Dumathoin’s holy name as perfectly as I can… I am Saint Ror.

Ror’s senses reel again with the smash, but clear instantly as sparks burst from him in incandescent emerald…

The Dwarf is still motionless, arms folded, but by the inclination of his head Ror recognizes the familiar sign of approval as the cavern fades… it’s not fading. Ror anticipated it would. Something more is to be done. Dumathoin puts out his hand for the axe haft, but in his other hand he offers Ror… a stick of chalk. As Ror grasps the chalk, knowledge floods into his mind:

The Dwarf’s silver eyes missed nothing seeable. Mariliths combing the flotsam moments after the explosion, gathering bits. Numbed Dwarves channeling Dumathoin’s True Resurrections into creatures under Demogorgon’s control. A LifeJammer moored to the outer surface of the only remaining inhabited remnant of Dumathoin’s proud temple. Witchlight Marauders, scourges of the First Age, their Second Age TimeLines all but incinerated but their few First Age threads unsevered, and now being packed full of life force and restored to destroy again. The scheming laid bare before him, Demogorgon’s foolhardiness to think he can burn Witchlight Marauders revealed in tortured detail.

Will a spiritual energy source finally power the godling into the Phlogiston, a place with no connection to the godling’s Plane? This, Dumathoin does not reveal, but it shall have no consequence when Demogorgon’s plans are sundered by Saint Ror, the Axe of Dumathoin.

The Smith still cannot see into the temple directly from outside, his own scheme of natural warding by Bral’s miraculous rock giving Demogorgon’s Will purchase to shut all out, even the Smith himself. But Dumathoin’s clerics’ eyes are open, they are inside, and controlled or not, they are his.

Dumathoin has put forth his Will. Saint Ror and his party shall be restored to even greater strength than they had before. If Demogorgon’s Mariliths serve their master best while they also serve as Dumathoin’s tools, the Smith cares not. His Will shall be done. And Saint Ror himself will be sent back as prepared as he needs to be. Dumathoin sets down his axe, and takes a stick of chalk from his belt.

Saint Ror now knows without being told why this cavern did not fade. It will be a long teaching session with the Master of Secret Runes.

Choose the best, nastiest, most effective combinations of Rituals you can, for yourself, for the party, as your wisdom decides. You know what you will be facing in the other cavern. You are entering that cavern as if “start of day” with everything refreshed, but before you leave this cavern you will have the opportunity to discharge Rituals as you desire, including long-running Rituals so that they are in play when you arrive, their Time starting in that moment.

You may add Rituals according to your increase in Levels; you may also trade out Rituals you know for others you don’t – or even whole Ritualist Classes – with Dumathoin’s tutelage.

Beyond these increases and changes, you also gain one bonus Ritual of any Level from any list, and one Ritual-related Feat of your choosing from the teaching, any Feat for which you qualify after all the other teaching is taken into account.

But alas, Dumathoin himself does not know what the secret Ritual was that Thrash used; you can’t take that. Dumathoin is not the only master of secret runes; Thrash’s secret apparently must be protected by a very powerful Deity who instructed him… it’s not much of a guess as to who that might be.

After a Timeless Time, the teaching and strategizing and charging of Rituals come to an end and it is the moment for discharging what is to be done in this final preparation.

Dumathoin regards Saint Ror gravely with those silver eyes, and stretches out his hand one more time.

In it is a familiar, finely woven bracelet, and Ror knows without any godly instruction whose this is, and what he should do with it – one Hand will not begrudge another Hand’s use of it a little longer. As Dumathoin passes it to Ror, the bracelet vanishes from all sight though Ror can feel it securely in his palm.

Apparently the Mariliths were not quicker than the Keeper of Secrets.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 02:09:35 AM by MetroMagic »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 03:10:47 AM »
You may add Rituals according to your increase in Levels; you may also trade out Rituals you know for others you don’t – or even whole Ritualist Classes – with Dumathoin’s tutelage.

Beyond these increases and changes, you also gain one bonus Ritual of any Level from any list, and one Ritual-related Feat of your choosing from the teaching, any Feat for which you qualify after all the other teaching is taken into account.

After a Timeless Time, the teaching and strategizing and charging of Rituals come to an end and it is the moment for discharging what is to be done in this final preparation.

Dumathoin regards Saint Ror gravely with those silver eyes, and stretches out his hand one more time.

In it is a familiar, finely woven bracelet, and Ror knows without any godly instruction whose this is, and what he should do with it – one Hand will not begrudge another Hand’s use of it a little longer. As Dumathoin passes it to Ror, the bracelet vanishes from all sight though Ror can feel it securely in his palm.

Apparently the Mariliths were not quicker than the Keeper of Secrets.

First of all: SWEET!!!!  :jumping

Second, re: the highlighted section: what exactly does that mean?

Offline Debatra

• Kaedanis Pyran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 03:22:24 AM »

I would assume it works similarly to how a Sorcerer can change his Spells Known at certain levels.
Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 09:47:23 AM »

I would assume it works similarly to how a Sorcerer can change his Spells Known at certain levels.

Except that I already know all rituals on my class lists. Does this mean that I can swap known rituals from my class lists for unknown rituals from other class lists?