Author Topic: Armoring Up  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
Armoring Up
« on: August 05, 2014, 07:20:02 PM »
Is there any way other than Deflective Armor (apologies for no link/ source, on mobile) to apply your armor's AC bonus to your touch AC?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Armoring Up
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 07:25:57 PM »
Ghost Ward sort of does that. It's only the enhancement bonus, but if you're wearing light armour it could be worth it.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 07:37:28 PM »
I'm in heavy armor, just not psionic and a bit stretched for feats so I was hoping there was another way. Thank you though, Raineh.

Offline Kasz

• The God-Emperor protects, the Omnissiah provides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 05:44:15 AM »
Doesn't Riverine work for this? At least the deflection portion.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 06:01:19 PM »
Doesn't Riverine work for this? At least the deflection portion.
That does get half the AC bonus applied... though it then wouldn't stack with a Ring. Thank you, though!

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Haters gonna hate. Dragons gonna drag.
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 11:38:37 PM »
Good old fashioned AC 1 Bracers of Armor (+5 EB, w/ghost touch)

Since the Bracers are force, the EB already applies to your touch AC. When you add ghost touch, the EB adds twice. So for . 37,000 gp, you have +6 base armor, +11 touch attack. Wacky, huh? If you wear then over other armor, it won't help your base armor (chances are if you got heavy armor, the base AC is already over 6), but the +11 to touch attack is more then likely WAY above whatever you got on your base armor (ie, a big fat ZERO).
If you have questions about 3.5 D&D, you might want to look at the:
Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis

Currently: Podcasting

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 01:45:52 AM »
Force effects apply against incorporeal touch attacks, not touch attacks in general.  There are lots of touch attacks that are not sub-categorized as incorporeal touch attacks, notably boatloads of spells. 

I'm pretty sure there's no way to give bracers of armor an enhancement bonus, but I'll hear you out on that one. 

I'll assume you meant "ghost ward," not "ghost touch."  Your armor's enhancement bonus is normally treated as part of the armor bonus for purposes of stacking.  I don't see why ghost ward would change that. 

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 02:19:54 AM »
AH. Correct. Ghost Ward, Not Touch.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Ah, that's what I get for not checking the source. Cost is 49,000 gp, not 37,000 gp. Still, As it reads, I can add any Enhancement Bonus I want to the armor bracers, meaning I can have bracers of Armor AC 1, +5 EB, and then tack on up to +7 ASAs as I see fit. not that you would, mind you. I can't think of a total of +5 ASAs I'd want, much less +7. But Ghost Ward is a +1 Bonus, so AC 1 +5, Ghost Ward is +11 to to your touch attack.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

So, Bracers of Armor are force Armor, like mage armor, thus applies to touch attacks.
Enhancement Bonus adds to the base AC, so it increases the base Armor and thus increases against touch attacks.
Ghost ward adds your EB against your touch attacks.
Ergo, You get +11 to touch attacks, which does not stack with any touch attack AC granted by your base armor.

Or you could simply get Bracers of Armor AC 1, Ghost Ward for 4,000 gp then cast Magic Vestment on your bracers to boost the EB, thus granting the double bonus to your touch attack on the cheap, but that requires someone casting magic vestment on you. Now, it lasts 1 hour a level, so if you buy a 9,000 gp pearl of power and loan it to the cleric to cast this for you, you only get a +4 at 8th level, +6 at 12, +8 at 16, and +10 at 20th. It might be worth the WBL at higher levels to just buy the bracers to wear all the time.

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 02:42:36 AM »
AH, I see where the issue is. You think that force armor ONLY applies against incorporeal touch attacks. I can see how you might read it that way. However, while poorly worded, the way it ACTUALLY reads as RAW is:

All armor fails to add to touch attacks.
EXCEPTION: Force Armor
Which apply against incorporeal touch attacks.

They needed to include an ONLY in there for it to only apply against incorporeal touch attacks. Because it's an exception in the same sentence as the rule, it applies against the rule in all cases, and the "incorporeal touch attack" section counts as an example. If they had a period instead of a comma, then it would be a separate sentence and thus only be an exception in that one situation.

Now, you could argue the RAI is that it should only apply against touch attacks for incorporeal only, which may or may not be the case. I will not argue RAI here. However, in a court of law, if anyone was stupid enough to have something like this in a contract, I'd hang them with it. RAW is, Force armor is an exception to touch attacks, btw, that includes incorporeal touch attacks as well.

Ironically, when directly asked to answer this question in the FAQ, they skirt the issue. They never actually come and flat out say "Force Armor ONLY applies to Incorporeal Touch Attack." It's implied, but never clarified. They say that the two things are different, but All incorporeal touch attacks are touch attacks, not all touch attacks are incorporeal. To simply state that Force armor applies against incorporeal touch attack is obvious. We already know that. We need clarification if it only applies against it or ALL touch attacks.

So by RAW, All Force Armor is an exception to ALL touch attacks, and incorporeal touch attacks are an example, not a limiter.

Addendum: If they had not included the "such as that of a shadow" at the end of the sentence, It would be easier to argue that the which means that everything after it is a qualifier. But once they include an example phrase in the rule itself, then any hope of arguing that the intent is Incorporeal Touch Attacks ONLY goes right out the window.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 02:53:29 AM by Captnq »

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 02:06:08 PM »
I can sort of see how you'd parse that sentence to support your view. 

You're fundamentally wrong about what adding the word "only" would have meant.  That would actually have changed the sentence to mean that force effects don't apply against normal attacks (e.g. being stabbed with a sword). 

Everything after the "which" is defining the capacity in which force effects are an exception to the general rule.  That is to say, force effects represent an exception to the general rule of armor bonuses not applying against touch attacks in the sense that force effects apply against incorporeal touch attacks. 

Even if you were right, this would be a rule preventing armor bonuses from applying to touch AC with a clause saying the rule doesn't apply to force effects.  It would not be a rule saying force effects apply to touch AC.  If it were the latter, it could (in certain specific cases) potentially override some other rule that prevents a bonus to AC from applying.  Since it is the former, it has no interaction with any other rule that prevents a bonus to AC from applying. 

There are, in many locations, rules saying that armor bonuses don't apply against touch attacks with no text anywhere in the area that could possibly be construed as meaning that force effects are an exception.  RAW, these rules and the one you quoted are separate conditions that prevent a bonus from applying to AC.  Even if we suppose that the rule you quoted doesn't prevent bracers of armor from applying against normal (non-incorporeal) touch attacks, these other rules do.  Since the rules don't interact with each other, running afoul of any one of them is sufficient to keep the AC bonus from applying. 

But let's suppose that each place where armor bonus against touch attacks is discussed is actually a different version of the same rule.  In this case, we don't apply each one individually.  We instead figure out which version takes precedence.  The version you quoted is from the glossary of the Player's Handbook.  I'd say the rules for AC and touch attacks in the Combat section of the Player's Handbook supersede anything in the glossary, which is sufficient to invalidate your quotation.  The text of the Rules Compendium definitely supersedes everything in the Player's Handbook. 

So, have I just proven that force effects don't apply to touch attacks, not even incorporeal touch attacks?  Not quite.  There are rules saying that force effects apply against incorporeal touch attacks which override the general rule of armor bonuses not applying against touch attacks.  The difference between these rules and what you quoted from the glossary is that there's no possible torturing of the wordings of these rules that could be supposed to imply that force effects apply against touch attacks other that incorporeal touch attacks.