Author Topic: The Crown's Callers-Team Mexilhoeira OOC  (Read 21546 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
The Crown's Callers-Team Mexilhoeira OOC
« on: March 08, 2019, 11:33:20 PM »
Hey osle - just sorting out my followers and finally (sorry) starting work on my backstory. Are my followers able to have any class levels other than vermin/plant ones? ie could I have a follower with 1 crab level then 2 wizard or similar..
Yes.

Hi Os,

I've filled out pretty much all of the rest of my character - it's mostly been adding enchantments etc. With that in mind, I'm going to re-sim and post my relevant stats here, as there's been some discussion as to whether I may have overdone it.

HP: 141
Initiative: 7
AC: 37 normal 8 Touch (41/12 with mage armour) - I've dropped heavy fortification in favour of regeneration and limbripper
Saves: 20/10/13
Size: Gargantuan
Special abilities: Delicious crab: 10+1/2HD+con will save if they can see me, on fail they must hit me with bite, if they have bite. Darkvision, immunity to mind-affecting
Magical protections: death ward, gleaming, styptic (immune to bleed, 25% chance to be unaffected by blood drain that affects con (vampires, stirges etc), Proof against Transmutation
Attacks: +15, 6d6+14 claw (19-20x3), +15, 4d6+14 claw(19-20x3), +15/+10, 4d8+9 unarmed // enchantments on claw: warning, ghost touch, valorous (x2 dmg on charge attack)
Grapple: +41
I also have flurry, rage (a variant of), and imp bull rush+pounce+shock trooper, plus sandals of the tiger's leap, which allows me an extra unarmed strike at x2 dmg after a charge
Other abilities: improved shield bash (to use crab claw as shield + weapon), battle clarity (+3 ref whilst not flat footed), battle ardor (add INT to crit confirmation rolls), INA
In terms of other active magic items, I have a healing belt, dimension stride boots, and my third eye clarity. I also have my 1/day teleport to Hoard/teleport back to where I teleported to hoard from item.
Passive magic items/things: monks belt, vest of resistance +4, otyugh hole

I have a couple things to help saves (IHS, IHF), the other of my maneuvers are by and large to help enhance my combat capabilities.

Re-simulation:
Trolls: I'd easily beat them into negative hp before they got me, even if they do have regeneration - they need a 20 to hit me.
Bebelith: pretty much the same with the bebelith, only it doesnt have regen. I'm immune to its rend armor and I need less than a 4 on my fort save to get poisoned, at which point IHF/IHS come in handy. High AC, but I'd hit more often than not - this is a pretty much guaranteed win.
Fire giant: these dont have a bite, so delicious crab does nothing, they would need a 20 to hit me (or 19 if mage armour isnt up). If one managed to hit me with a firey rock I'd become more delicious. Same ac as bebilith.
Vrock: I now have regeneration, so its plinking me with rocks from 800ft away against my ac wont really do much, and coming into range to spores me is probably bad for it. Also, with its piddling +9 will save, delicious crab will mean it will eventually want to come and bite me, at which point I'll rip its limbs off.
Cleric: wildcard - totally depends what spells it has. Could beat me, the skeletons wont do anything though. Delicious crab wont do much here - clerics dont have a bite attack, and their will save is usually decent anyway.
Blue dragon: this is now more interesting. It's able to hit me on an 18+, and with its 26 AC I'll miss more than I'll hit, and delicious crab wont work if I retract into my shell. Does the shell require a sunder to break? The wording is unclear. If it doesnt, it can just strafe me until I die. If it does, then I might actually be able to win when it comes down by un-retracting and grappling it to death due to having +13 extra grapple than it does. I'm not sure about the mechanics and numbers here, but this isn't looking like a straight victory for the dragon every time.

Shadows: I think this kinda depends how many of them there are. They'd only need a 5+ to hit me with my 8 touch ac. I now have ghost-touch crab claw for one claw, so I'd be able to dispatch them a bit more readily, and I do now have regen which at lvl 10 is 3 points drain per round regained, but they are draining on a d6, which is 3.5 strength on average drained. Given that I'm gargantuan, a huge number of them can surround me and probably kill me with relative ease. tl;dr I'm fscked and would probably need to teleport out and never go back.

Questions:
  • Am I now too much? Do let me know if I need to scale back. I've gotten significantly better against the Vrock, and somewhat better against the dragon - maybe it's just a case of scaling back my ac so other sorts of monsters have a chance? Even scaling it back by 5 or so would mean that the bebilith (+19), fire giant (+20), dragon(+18) and vrock (+15) would have more of a chance to hit me. Up to you, let me know.

Cheers.
Yes, if you're packing regeneration and the ability to draw enemies from afar then your super AC is a problem (do notice that delicious works even against enemies that don't have a bite attack, just that they can choose what to hit you with in melee). Something where  you can beat one fire giant but not two should be fine.

My AC is still woefully inadequate, so I have pondered what I could do:
- Drop Sohei 1, get 4th level in Wilder instead
- Drop Wolf Berserker feat (no longer qualify without Ki-Frenzy), get Ascetic Mage instead (do qualify after gaining 2nd level powers)
- Drop Call to Mind power (the Factotum dwarves me on knowledge checks anyway), get Inertial Armor power instead
- Drop Armor
- Change Vulnerable flaw to Inattentive flaw

That improves my base AC from 22 to 27 (-5 Breastplate, +1 no more Vulnerable, +4 Charisma from Monk+Ascetic Mage, +1 from combined Monk/Wilder/Swordsage levels, +4 Inertial Armor).

Question:
1. Can Ascetic Mage (intended for CHA Sorcerer) be adapted to CHA Wilder Psionics?
(Suggestion for spell to attack/damage bonus ratio under psionics: Spell level = 2PP/level -1, so 1PP = lvl1, 3PP = lvl2, 5PP = lvl3, and so on.)

You really sure you need more AC? Weren't you already able to beat least 4 of the basic battles?

If you do need more AC, then ok to Ascetic Wilder and that conversion.

Os, I'm a Maid created to server monsters as well as humans.  What would be an appropriate language?  I get one extra.
Hmmm, an infernal one? Fey?

New question on top of the language question: I have arsenal weapons that do 3d10, 2d10, and 2d12 2d10 damage.  Those aren't on the normal scale charts so I'm not sure how to bring them down two sizes.
Make them 2d6.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The Crown's Callers-Team Mexilhoeira OOC
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 11:42:52 PM »
Arsenal done, Sylvan makes sense to me so that is done too.

I still need to pick what my Craft skill is, figure out what my Machine Mistress choices are, and do gear.

Also write a backstory.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 11:46:58 PM »
Os, just fyi instead of throwing knives I have an unlimited supply of missiles that I shoot instead with the same range.   :lol
Also built-in knives because I wanted a melee weapon with no energy cost and can't get a second Integrated Weapon.

Fellow party members, is there anything that we're lacking?  I have a minion class feature that I haven't specced out yet so it can fill any gaps we might have.

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 09:35:38 AM »
You really sure you need more AC? Weren't you already able to beat least 4 of the basic battles?

If you do need more AC, then ok to Ascetic Wilder and that conversion.
Yes, but barely so using Combat Expertise against the Fire Giant. AC22 & HP74 is pretty vulnerable for a melee type.

I have done the change.

Fellow party members, is there anything that we're lacking?  I have a minion class feature that I haven't specced out yet so it can fill any gaps we might have.
I plan to make my Cohort a basic cleric staying out of the action, for long-term buffs and out-of-combat problem solution coupons like Remove Curse.

The one monster that gave everyone else on Team Mexilhoeira trouble in the test gauntlet was the Vrock, thanks to its at-will Teleport and 880ft range Telekinesis that no one had the speed and ranged capabilities to deal with. Long range attacks and/or high mobility would definitively patch a huge gap.

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 12:47:31 PM »
Noticed new fluff, is this Scott Pilgrim?

Biggest thing I need to decide one is last God Characteristic, my Red Magic spells, and inventory. Also what exactly my cohort is gonna be. Probably some sort of mage. It's supposed to be a girl that only speaks for spells that's human with a devilish heritage.

Anyone want to be in my band?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 01:02:03 PM »
I can do long range with my minion, at least up to a point.

I also do out of combat debuff removals (like remove curse) but me doing it has a cost so I'm okay with overlap there.

Offline Jarob22

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 02:42:52 PM »
Right. I've managed to code a basic simulator up (half because I didn't want to sim manually, and half because I enjoy coding anyways). I reduced my armor down to a base 19 (23 with mage armour, I simmed with 23). Simulating over 10,000 battles each:
Bebilith: 100% winrate
Fire giant: 70-80% winrate vs 1, 0% winrate vs 2
6 Trolls: 56% winrate. With 5 trolls, its 92%.
Mind flayers: This is incredibly dependent on who wins the initiative and if I fail or make the will save vs mind blast. I do have third eye and IHF to reroll 2 failed saves, so I think it's likely even if I go last, and fail both saves, that I can charge one and one-shot it with limbripper vs its terrible fort save. Then it's DC17 vs my 13+dice roll for the second flayer, and with 3d4 averaging about 7, if I fail, I'll still eventually die as at some point it's going to either hit me enough to slowly kill me, or it will get lucky and hit me with all 4 tentacles and insta-gib me. However, I should win about 75% of the time here.
Vrock: Eventually it's going to fail its will save and have to teleport over to bite me, at which point I'll grapple it and kill it. Even if it manages to succeed for a number of rounds, I think eventually I could catch up to it using charge + double move, and seeing as you need a move action to pick up a new weapon (rock) and a SA to telekinesis it at me, you'll either have to start running or stand and throw, at which point my (40 * 2 (due to charge) standard action + 40 * 2 move action) = 160 means it'll take me 5 rounds to close. I think I should make it, but I'm not 100% sure, and simulating this is kinda hard.
Shadows: nope, ghosts are spoopy, crab no like (I lose).
Blue dragon: This guy would need on average about 6-7 passes to kill me with its breath weapon (average 45 damage, say I save a couple times), which would be about 12-21 rounds. During this time, it would need to make a will save vs my delicious crab, which it would make on about a 50/50 chance (dc 23, YA dragon = +13), and will only be able to bite me. At this point it's going to get grappled and I'll probably start yanking its wings off, so I think I could probably take it. Two I dont think I could take - they'd both need to fail their saves really quick, and I'd need to grapple both. My sim says if they both just came down and started biting me, I have a 50% chance to win, and if I add in me taking a breath attack or two, its 0%.
Cleric: Again, this depends on spells used. The skeletons still dont bother me, but the cleric could if he had the right spells.

I seem a little bit on the edge here - moving my ac down this low means I'm quite vulnerable to a lot of things. If I bring it up to about 31 (say I have a +8 hermit crab shell) the 6 trolls become 100%, the vrock becomes even easier to catch, 1x fire giant is 100%. It changes nothing about the mindflayers or shadows, and little against the cleric if he's winning on spells. I'm a little better against the blue dragon, but it's still really about the will saves.

I'm almost 0% chance against 2x bebilith, 12 trolls I can beat handily, 2x fire giant is about 54%, 2x vrock is probably not possible due to them able to be on either side - attrition will kill me first probably, 2x blue dragon is probably not happening unless I get lucky, and 4 mindflayers is absolutely not happening. I already lose vs the shadows, and again the cleric is a wildcard.

I may have gone slightly off on one - I like programming, sue me. :P Now I need to go spec out my followers...

Oh yeah, I made a backstory, Os.

P.S. I'm going to be carrying around my only 6th level follower I have who will probably be crab1/wizard5 to help with buffing/support, but he will not be offensive as a) i dont wanna lose him and b) his dc will be awful anyway.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 02:55:07 PM by Jarob22 »

Offline Jarob22

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 02:59:19 PM »

Biggest thing I need to decide one is last God Characteristic, my Red Magic spells, and inventory. Also what exactly my cohort is gonna be. Probably some sort of mage. It's supposed to be a girl that only speaks for spells that's human with a devilish heritage.

I could be the uh...drummer? You're gonna need really big drums.

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 03:06:54 PM »

I could be the uh...drummer? You're gonna need really big drums.

My only issue with that is needing a really big stage for our gigs.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 03:27:56 PM »
Just make the crab your stage.

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 03:29:57 PM »
Half already planned for outside affairs lol.

Also never thought I'd have to seriously plan out the performance side of this character lol.

Offline Jarob22

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 03:39:40 PM »
Just make the crab your stage.
This works too. I probably wouldn't make a great drummer. Hell, I have prestidigitation and stuff, I can make fireworks too.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 06:58:35 PM »
Os, how is minion HP calculated?  All average?

Offline Jarob22

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 06:59:37 PM »
Os, how is minion HP calculated?  All average?

I kinda assumed this - if this isn't the case I guess I need to know too :P

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 07:13:36 PM »
I now have a flying robot horse that spits acid.  Super long range isn't in the cards, but if my horse ends up not being useful I can spend a day changing it up.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 07:38:36 PM »
So far I'm providing:
- Out of combat healing
- Crowd control via solid fog/roots
- All the knowledge scores as well as some other skillmonkey stuff
- General scouting with flight/invisibility
- Surprise immunity to targeted magic to try to function as a lightning rod for some of the more nasty stuff (since spellfire is really obscure, I doubt they are going to assume the random firbolg can eat magic)
- 1/encounter 12d6 ranged touch at 400' range.
- 1/day Iajutsu trick that can clear a 60' line of mooks in one shot.
- Single Target no-check Dispels
- UN-Dispels.
- No-cost Identify
- Access to the entire Sorc/Wiz spell list 4 and under given a day to prep.

Do we need anything else from the "assorted support" role, or am I good now?

Offline Jarob22

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 07:42:37 PM »
Sounds great Nyte. Ive just finished nailing down spells for my wizard follower - he's gonna have haste, fly, invisibility, rope trick, detect thoughts, bulls strength, mage armour, detect secret door, comprehend languages, burning rage, some detect magics and flare/message (4 level0, 4 level1, 3 level 2 and 2 level 3 spells). Some useful party buffs, buffs for myself and helpful out of combat stuff.

Who's the party face, by the way?

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 07:46:03 PM »
Who's the party face, by the way?

I have a positive reputation with one of the Dragon Knights and Kasha in general, my diplomacy score is decent, and I'm a known figure among mercenaries with a relatively positive reputation. I'm not assuming I'm the face, I'm just putting my qualifications out there in case we don't have one already.

Offline Jarob22

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2019, 07:48:02 PM »
I'm probably the last person to be the party face - my backstory will help attest to that. :P

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2019, 07:51:26 PM »
my backstory will help attest to that. :P

My backstory paints me as an amoral scholar with a severe antisocial streak. I just recognize that socializing is a required job skill, regardless of my distaste for "petty" stuff.