Author Topic: Discussion and Suggestion Thread  (Read 200080 times)

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
    • View Profile
    • The Spellshaping Codices (Homebrew Board)
Re: Discussion and Suggestion Thread
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2012, 03:23:57 PM »
Been moving slowly this week, as I suddenly had way too many readings to do.  Sleep, what's that?

Anyway, Screeching Roc is still sitting at "figured out, just not ready for posting."  I hope to have it ready soon, but that all depends on how quickly I ease into my new workload.

In addition, my friends and I are gearing up for new campaigns with the beginning of another semester, which means that people have been building spellshapers!  As a part of this process, I've come to see a few raggedy bits, which I plan to clean up in a large errata push at some point after I get Screeching Roc posted.  Current plans are as follows.

Quote from: Codex I
  • Elemental Adept - Elemental Companion - Add an enhancement bonus to AC equal to 1/4 master's shaper level to "Devotion" ability.
  • Elemental Adept - Elemental Companion - Add an enhancement bonus on attack rolls equal to 1/4 master's shaper level to "Elemental Strike" ability.
  • Spellshape Champion - Break up "Armor Mastery" ability, splitting its benefits over several levels.
  • Corrosive Blade - Remove "Skirmishing Shaper" ability
  • Darkened One - Change duration of "Dominate Soul" ability to five rounds, with a save each round to end the effect.
  • Edgewalker Knight - Change "Knight's Oath" ability to just let you shape all formulae in armor.  It's just easier that way.
  • Edgewalker Knight and Flamedancer - Add "Sublime Shaping" ability
  • Elemental Channeler - Increase daily uses of "Elemental Shape" ability to equal your class level.
  • Flamedancer - Change enhancement bonus on fire blade to 1/4 shaper level (rather than 1/2 class level)
  • Hand of Death's Chill - Clean up wording on "Touch of Chill Death" ability
  • Unseen Master - Put a limit on "Concealed Stride" and "Unfettered Sight" abilities.  Why did you think that was a good idea, again?
  • Unseen Master - Remove Mindsight feat from "Telepathy" ability.
  • Unseen Master - Change daily uses of "Alter Memory" ability to once per day.
  • Woodspeaker - Add a paragraph break in "Nature's Rejuvenation" ability.
  • Woodspeaker - Change "Call Brambles" ability to have no daily limit, add dismissal, make move action.
  • Woodspeaker - Change "Call Healing Spore" ability to once per encounter.
  • Woodspeaker - Change "Body of the Forest" ability to give you traits and change your type, rather than giving you a template.

Quote from: Codex II
  • Spellshape Paragon - Clarify that, because you do not learn a new formula at 2nd level, the number of formulae you know at all higher levels is reduced by 1 (to a maximum number of formulae known of 21)
  • Spellshape Paragon - Change "rebuke spell" ability to immediate action.
  • Heighten Formula - Add: "In addition, major formulae that add damage to your spellshape attacks add an extra two dice of damage for each level by which you heighten the formula."
  • Spellforge Warsmith - Change enhancement bonuses to 1/4 shaper level (rather than 1/2 class level)
  • Spellforge Warsmith - Change the "Spellforge Armor" ability to grant immunity to the appropriate damage type (as by Spellshape Paragon), rather than dealing retributive damage.
  • Wildheart Mage - Add to "Fey Transformation" ability, making the tenth level in the class more compelling (especially for caymir)

Quote from: Web Enhancements
  • Sublime Shaper - Change "rebuke spell" ability to immediate action
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:02:30 PM by DonQuixote »
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2012, 06:12:34 PM »
Screeching Roc is up.

Update: You see all that errata up there?  Well, it's all been completed in my Word documents.  I'll start working on the PDFs and updating the online versions tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:12:11 PM by DonQuixote »
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2012, 01:14:35 PM »
PDFs have been updated with errata and new versions are online.  Similarly, the forum posts of all the errata-ed material have been updated with the errata.

Next phase of new material: options for elemental adepts.  You'll be able to choose different secondary circles--Unseen Impetus for Air, Screeching Roc for Earth, Shocking Current for Fire, and Deteriorating Corrosion for Water--if you so desire.  Additionally, since elemental companions gain feats as they gain Hit Dice, I'm planning on "Companion" feats that make them better companions, at the cost of the normal combat feats they would take.  Finally, I'm toying with the idea of an alternative "Paraelemental" Adept, letting you choose Ice, Magma, Ooze, or Smoke.  Not sure about that last one--but we'll see.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2012, 01:22:55 PM »
Random logistical question.  How do you go about making the PDFs?  Do you copy/paste into Word from the site, or do you have some other method?  I want to turn all the Magipunk stuff into PDFs...
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2012, 01:50:14 PM »
Aghghghg, the PDFs.

Long Version:
(click to show/hide)

Short Version:
To answer your actual question, I add the text to a Word document, print it to a PDF, then clean it up and optimize it with Adobe Acrobat.  Within the confines of Word, I format all of the text with text boxes, rather than typing directly on the document itself.  This allows me to move the text easily, change its size and shape, and easily adjust for tables.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2012, 01:53:59 PM »
Ack! That's a lot of work... I was thinking about making all my tables in an Excel spreadsheet for easy formatting & copy/paste, and then porting them into Word.  I don't think I'm going to bother with multiple columns, it's just too annoying (as you've found out).  Since I'm doing all my workthroughs on this site, all the stuff gets built and posted here first...

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2012, 06:37:08 PM »
Yeah, sounds like a much more sane option.

Some Web Enhancement options for the elemental adept are up.

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2012, 02:57:31 PM »
Hi! I am reading through your material, very good stuff!

I am noticing the distinct lack of any sneaky classes, with the exception of corrosive blade. Will you introduce any? Maybe a spellshaping/initiating/sneak attacking class.....please?  :)

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2012, 09:52:14 AM »
Not actually sure how anything could possibly be sneakier than the unseen master, what with its incredible sneakiness.

I'm also pretty sure that a base class with formulae, maneuvers, and sneak attack would be a little too much, but another sneak attack prestige class wouldn't necessarily be out of line.  I'll toy with the idea.  I don't really want to be so trite as to write a Devouring Shadow/Shadow Hand prestige class, but making an unarmed strike that also carried your withering hand attack would be an amusing interpretation of "Shadow Hand."

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2012, 10:05:32 AM »
Maybe a Setting Sun/Brilliant Dawn PrC, if only just for the imagery? The two do have a shared theme of debilitating foes that could be interesting.

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2012, 10:28:52 AM »
Well the Unseen Master isn't really sneaky. It hasn't got Hide or Move silently, and doesn't advance sneak attack. And I was thinking more in the lines of a Base Class. Something to marry rogue wth spellshaping. There is classes that bring to mind, sorcerer, wizard, warblade, Dragonfire Adept, crusader, dragon shaman...but nothing that says rogue.

Plus I don't realy concider shadow hand/devouring shadow combination trite. It seems a natural combination. An awesome combination. Maybe a swordsage shaper who can channel withering touch through his blades?

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2012, 12:33:30 PM »
Maybe a Setting Sun/Brilliant Dawn PrC, if only just for the imagery? The two do have a shared theme of debilitating foes that could be interesting.

Mmm, interesting.  This is being added to my to-do list.  I already have a pun ready and everything.

Well the Unseen Master isn't really sneaky. It hasn't got Hide or Move silently, and doesn't advance sneak attack.

See, I consider the ability to turn invisible and remove yourself from people's memories to be "sneaky."  Sneak attack, to me, is not a particularly sneaky thing--it's just a damage boost slapped onto sneaky things that would otherwise not be particularly stellar in combat.

And I was thinking more in the lines of a Base Class. Something to marry rogue wth spellshaping. There is classes that bring to mind, sorcerer, wizard, warblade, Dragonfire Adept, crusader, dragon shaman...but nothing that says rogue.

The difference is that all of these classes--with the exception of warblade and crusader--are actually based somewhat on magic.  The rogue isn't.  And, as far as warblade and crusader go, I'm assuming you're talking about the spellshape champion and the sublime shaper.  The spellshape champion was written in order to allow a basic gish class, and is more based on the duskblade than anything else.  Meanwhile, the sublime shaper exists wholly for the purpose of a spellshaping/initiating gish, not to mimic a particular class's feel.

Basically, a spellshaping base class should be based on magic use.  Moreover, I'm leery of doing too many melee-based spellshapers--the spellshape champion serves the generic melee purpose, the sublime shaper serves the purpose of combining two very similar systems, and the dragonheart adept exists as one giant reference to the first piece of homebrew that I ever wrote.  If we get too far beyond that, we start treading on the toes of the Tome of Battle.  We already have a melee system that functions more or less identically to spellshaping, so why not use that instead?

Finally, I'm just going to officially note that I am intentionally not replacing every archetype ever with spellshaping.  A large part of why I love 3.5 is that classes all work differently.  If I then offer an alternative to every single class, all of which function in exactly the same way...well, that just feels silly to me.  Doubly so if I'm just tacking on magic to something that is, at heart, not a magic-using archetype.

Plus I don't realy concider shadow hand/devouring shadow combination trite. It seems a natural combination. An awesome combination. Maybe a swordsage shaper who can channel withering touch through his blades?

Thing is, the two shadow-based ability pools, plus sneak attack, is just...it feels overdone.  Moreover, if I did end up writing a Devouring Shadow/Shadow Hand base class with sneak attack, there's probably no way that it would feel like rogue.  Because I don't like the idea of another class that just channels magic through its weapon.  We already have one of those, and she's doing quite well.

Instead, it would probably be based on unarmed strikes, which would be its only means of delivering a withering hand attack.  As extra damage, though, not channeled like a spellshape champion.  The problem then is sneak attack damage, so that would be cut to half progression--ending up at a maximum of 5d6.  After that, though, it still needs a handful of token class features, so I'd probably end up stealing some wuxia-style movement ideas--stuff like letting you run along tree branches, across water, and up walls, as well as being able to jump in straight lines.  Then, to appease the "sneaky" aspect, it'd probably receive Hide in Plain Sight and Trapfinding.

This is just me spitting into the wind, you understand.  As I've said, I'm not actually particularly attached to the idea of writing another meleeshaper base class.  That's what Tome of Battle is for.  In fact, the more that I look at the above paragraph, the more that I realize that it would be pretty much unambiguously better if we cut spellshaping entirely, changed it to a full sneak attack progression, and added the Diamond Mind and Setting Sun disciplines.

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2012, 01:12:26 PM »
Wow, that was quite an indepth response  :)

As I read it, I find myself agreeing with you. Although I do like the mental image of a shadow hand/devouring darkness rogue, I can't think of a way to make it really stand out.

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2012, 08:12:44 PM »
Well, with Screeching Roc and the new elemental adept options done, looks like I'm going to begin trying to throw together Fleeting Image, the illusion circle.

Now, I want to preface this one, since I have absolutely no idea if I'll be able to complete it.  We're talking about twenty-one single target, weaponized illusion effects.  If anyone has any suggestions of spells for me to look at, that would surely help.  As it is, I'm about to base a circle of formulae on a school of magic that I've never been particularly drawn to.  Should be interesting.

Also, because pretty much everyone I know is playing an Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil, it looks like there's going to be a prismatic circle at some point in the future.  God help me.

Offline radmelon

• Ashbless ftw!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2012, 02:33:59 AM »
Blasting with illusion effects. Now I've seen everything. Sounds like that and the prismatic circle are going to be fairly unique.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 02:41:48 AM by radmelon »

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2012, 02:44:17 AM »
Not many damaging spells come to mind. The only thing I can suggest is Indigo Trickster http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12244. His invocation are mainly illusion-y.

I would like to also make a suggestion about a probability harnessing circle.
Focusing on  buffs and debuffs.
Spellshaping Attack:
Probability blast; Ranged touch attack; Untyped Damage; Hits creature and causes freak incidents (burst blood vessels or something similar) tha cause it damage.
Higher level Formulas enable you to bring two or more possibilities into reality at the same time. Maybe giving you extra actions or your allies extra attacks, as ghostly duplicates of their hands come into being from a reality that could have been.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2012, 07:23:20 AM »
Here you go: Holomancer Lens Mage

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2012, 10:41:22 AM »
Blasting with illusion effects. Now I've seen everything. Sounds like that and the prismatic circle are going to be fairly unique.

Yeah...as I've said several times, I'm far from certain I'll succeed at writing an illusion-based circle.  We'll see, though!

I've actually figured out the base mechanic for the prismatic circle, and I'm suspecting that many of its effects are going to be taken from existing formulae.  If only because I don't want to write 147 new effects.  Given the random nature of the circle, though, I feel that it will be interesting enough in spite of this.

Not many damaging spells come to mind. The only thing I can suggest is Indigo Trickster http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12244. His invocation are mainly illusion-y.

I would like to also make a suggestion about a probability harnessing circle.
Focusing on  buffs and debuffs.
Spellshaping Attack:
Probability blast; Ranged touch attack; Untyped Damage; Hits creature and causes freak incidents (burst blood vessels or something similar) tha cause it damage.
Higher level Formulas enable you to bring two or more possibilities into reality at the same time. Maybe giving you extra actions or your allies extra attacks, as ghostly duplicates of their hands come into being from a reality that could have been.

Good point about indigo trickster--definitely something to keep my eye on.  In terms of the probability circle, I'll think about it.  The problem is that, if I do a probability circle (which will be law-aligned), I also have to do a chance circle (which will be chaos-aligned).  Not sure if I'm ready to commit to two circles until I've waded through the two that I have on my plate right now.

Here you go: Holomancer Lens Mage

Thank ye kindly!  I'll get to looking at them this afternoon.

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2012, 04:32:14 PM »
Wildfire
Searing Flames (Major) [Fire]
Level: Elemental adept 3, impulse mage 3, spellsage 3, spellshape champion 3
Prerequisite: One Searing Flame formula
Shaping Action: 1 standard action
Range: Fireblast attack
Target: One creature
Effect: 10-ft.-radius spread of fire
Duration: 5 rounds
Saving Throw: Reflex half; see text
Spell Resistance: No

The flames of your attack burst against your foe, then ignite the ground at his feet in a fierce blaze.

As a part of shaping this formula, you make a single fireblast attack that deals an extra 3d6 points of damage.  If it hits, your attack creates a 10-foot spread of fire, centered on your target.  The fire deals 1d6 points of fire damage per two shaper levels to any creature standing in an affected square at the beginning of its turn, with a Reflex save for half damage.  In addition, the flame deals damage to any creature entering or passing through an affected square.
   As a move action, you can command the spread of flame increase or decrease its radius by up to 10 feet, up to a maximum radius of 20 feet and a minimum radius of 5 feet.  You can also use a move action to command the flame to move along the ground at a speed of 30 feet.  Finally, if you so choose, you can command the fire to increase or decrease its radius by 5 feet and move 15 feet with a single move action.

I have a question about this formula.
It does spellshaping attack damage+3d6
Then I use move ation to increase its radius by 10ft

Now the enemys turn.
He start his round in the wild fire so ref for half damage.
He then tries to get out passing through 6 affected squares. Does he suffer damage again? The description says you roll a reflex save if you pass an affected square. He passed 6.

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2012, 11:59:11 PM »
He only takes damage from moving through the fire once.