Author Topic: If you had to be, what would you be?  (Read 14549 times)

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Re: If you had to be, what would you be?
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2016, 09:20:50 PM »
Spec bluff, work towards a hat of disguise, and live on the farthest western border. He didn't say where in Germany ya would live.

Offline Vladeshi

• Feel free to ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2016, 09:52:29 PM »
So I have a question for you all, if you had to be a D&D Class what one would you be?
The simple answer is the one you like right? Well feel free to mention that...

But what if I told you you'll be on Earth, and a Jew, in Germany, and it's February 1933.
You can pretty much replace the flavor with whatever but the point is most people around you won't be helpful and quite a few will even go so far as being harmful.
In the realm of Earth, even a 1st lvl artificer would have enough knowledge and applicable ability to make themselves valuable to some one who'll keep them alive.
I'd suggest re-reading the first post in this thread.

You are playing someone who starts off with an army built up for the express purpose of murdering you (and taking your stuff), right at 1st level.

You're not starting play in a peaceful, modern nation -- that would be a very different thread.

There were a fair number of higher ups in Nazi Germany that were perfectly willing to overlook such minor things as you being a Jew if you were useful enough and willing to work with for them.
Also remember that a good number of the Jews that escaped before the war broke out got away because someone 'looked the other way', in fact if you are starting in Feb '33 and you know what is about to happen you have decent odds of getting away.

same w/ spell to power erudite
Yeah learning Discipline Powers (aka spells) requires a world full of casters.

Warlock would be pretty helpful. But would you gestalt and what would you later employment? An army of undead Nazi's? :o
I know your secret! Do you like war? No, Alt, do you love war?

in the OP scenario a necromancer could have a lot of fun.

that necro keeps scratching at the back of my brain

This was my first thought, then I thought about the differences between pseudo-medieval setting and 30's tech, your skellies may slaughter infantry fine but that moment when the tank commander orders ramming speed is going to cost you a lot of onyx.
Made even worse by the lack of of amazing creatures to animate, animals and humans only(time to go bear hunting).
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2016, 11:12:52 PM »
It appears everyone is skipped the world is after you to focus on Germany so they can use their hindsight, and google, to find fun exploitations. So, no more Germany.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2016, 11:34:28 PM »
Hey, I totally didn't use hindsight and Google when I answered until after people started looking holes in my answer with said things!

In an Earth where DnD classes are a thing and magic roams about even at a low level of influence, the whole ww2 thing might not even go the same; it might not even happen. Or it'd be way worse because necromancers ;)

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2016, 11:44:36 PM »
Guns cars, planes exist but pre-Internet so information isn't globally shared in a split second.

So then information "technology" is going to be at a premium.
Anything that can simulate a computer, as well as anything relating to encryption, is going to be at a premium.

You're in a city under martial law that's declared it's hatred of your kind. Maybe your D&D powers violate laws, maybe a previous transplant raised an army of undead, who knows (or cares). The the vast majority of locals will turn you into the authorities who will imprison and study you assuming immediate off-the-record execution isn't an option.

That means alter self is going to be critical, probably why druid got banned. Other alteration abilities, up to outright shapechange are going to be similarly valuable.
The thing is, once you've escaped, they decrease in value; UNLESS . . .

But there is a win condition, if you take over a country with the military might and inbred hatred of your people like Nazi Germany, you can flip the local region back to friendly. In such a case you need to prove to them you're a productive member of society and not just built for war. So what would you offer to the job market?

This seems a bit confusing:

I have to take over the country I am in?
Why not just a neighboring country that is stronger?
Meanwhile, why exactly do I need to prove I'm of value other than in war? Don't they have other enemies that need destroying? Clearly I could help with that if I'm purely spec-ed for war.

Of course, that skips over the much simpler solution: remember those alteration, aka "shapechanging" powers that become obsolete when I escape?
Well . . .
I don't escape; that is not my plan.
Never mind killing Hitler, I will to "replace" Hitler, as "Hitler".
Or as Himmler or Goebbels or Bormann or Goering if I must settle for "inheriting" things. (Based on the usual factors and all that.)
Depending on how quickly I can manage that, I can switch "extermination" to ""subversion"/incorporation", or just "expulsion" (go Madagascar Plan!).
Well, unless I simply don't care about my people, in which case, whatever.
If it is too late for my people, then you can just call this the "Riddick Plan" - become Lord Marshal and retire to the battlefield.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a Beguiler here, with some telepathy based prestige class, and some shapeshifting feats.
You'll have your skill monkey for deception and subversion, your illusion powers as a fall back for your shapeshifting, and your telepathy for more subversion and communication.
Overall, just go at the whole thing sideways instead of frontal assault on the problem.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2016, 05:08:18 AM »
In the specific setting you spelled out, I would very much not want to be the super special snowflake they could never be and flaunt it unless I was the diplomancer that takes over that shit. ;)

Expert with ranks in diplomacy

Come up with your own damn ideas.
"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down."

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2016, 10:15:40 AM »
So then information "technology" is going to be at a premium.
It also means a cheap hand held device isn't ten times better than most Divinations :p

I have to take over the country I am in? Why not just a neighboring country that is stronger?
All counties are equal and if your plan is to rule the world then on a world scale your country must be able to compete with others. Specially considering you know there have been other D&D people, hiding in the center of the Earth using Scry and die as a Wizard may actually have been the last guy's plan and what happened to him hmm? On the global scale, you need followers and for that you need money.

The replacement idea is a very nice way to quickly secure resources. :)

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2016, 02:20:26 PM »
It also means a cheap hand held device isn't ten times better than most Divinations :p

That's why I used the quotation marks - Clarke's Law and Foglio's Corollary:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology

Set up a bunch of sending stones like in Eberron, based around networks of changelings (or reasonable facsimile thereof), and you've got your super spies plus enigma machines.
Throw in a bunch of mimir's (from Planescape), and you have your computer databases.
Make them intelligent magic items and you skip right to AI.

All counties are equal and if your plan is to rule the world then on a world scale your country must be able to compete with others.

So another factor - the countries being equal.
A bit of a stretch, but okay.
However . . . does that include equal in hatred for my people?

Further, I thought my plan was to survive, not to rule the world.
Is that another change I need to account for?

Specially considering you know there have been other D&D people, hiding in the center of the Earth using Scry and die as a Wizard may actually have been the last guy's plan and what happened to him hmm? On the global scale, you need followers and for that you need money.

Screw scry and die. I have always despised that concept, as it is predicated on "somehow" being left alone long enough to reach epic level without anyone else ever deciding to bother you. It sounds good, but indeed, what happened to the last guy?

As for followers, you excluded leadership, so of course, thrallherd suggests itself.
However, you do not need money for followers. It certainly helps, but as cynical Machiavelli noted, gold may not always get your good soldiers, but good soldiers will always get you gold. Give me the fanatics first and the phat lewt will take care of itself in due course.

The replacement idea is a very nice way to quickly secure resources. :)

Which of course is why it is my first choice.
Why bother building when you can simply annex?
Particularly if it means skipping the destruction and rebuilding part.
In particular, it saves money that can be immediately spent on more useful purposes.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2016, 02:28:18 PM »
hmm , can't go Omniscificer ... that's what late 1944-ish right?

Stathan the Promethean Transporter
Bamboo Spirit Folk --- for Trackless Step right away
Marshal 1 and 2 , perhaps Bard 1 for the semi-gestalt 1st level
level 1 ... go find Einstein
level 2 ... re-enact The Sound Of Music ending escape scene but with him
might need a retrain or a handwave to work

then Ardent 3 / UrPriest 2 / Dual X given what you + Ein'y yacked about, climbing ev'ry mountain.
Stick around afterward, with Motivate Intelligence on Ein'y and "the" gang, on out.

Wis = Con = Dex = Cha early, all Wis later.
"We stole Fire from the gawds, eh?"
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2016, 03:05:08 PM »
Here let me fix the order of you post for a second.
Further, I thought my plan was to survive, not to rule the world.
Is that another change I need to account for?
All counties are equal and if your plan is to rule the world then on a world scale your country must be able to compete with others.
Is that better?

And yeah they all hate you but luckily there are no nuclear weapons in this scenario. But if you wish to retire into the workforce once the country realizes you're a friend, or indispensable ally, or someone they cannot push around, you don't have to rule anything. You just need some kind of afterwards plan.

It sounds good, but indeed, what happened to the last guy?
Who knows, maybe they developed a way to counter it, maybe he didn't live long enough to make it to a secure enough location, maybe he is still alive and feeding propaganda to ensure the entire world was against the next one that shows up.

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2016, 08:41:28 PM »
Is that better?

Yep.
And . . .
That won't be my plan.
I don't need to rule everything to be happy. :D

And yeah they all hate you but luckily there are no nuclear weapons in this scenario. But if you wish to retire into the workforce once the country realizes you're a friend, or indispensable ally, or someone they cannot push around, you don't have to rule anything. You just need some kind of afterwards plan.

However, I may need to kill off a sizable portion of what I don't rule merely to be secure.

Who knows, maybe they developed a way to counter it, maybe he didn't live long enough to make it to a secure enough location, maybe he is still alive and feeding propaganda to ensure the entire world was against the next one that shows up.

That was intended as a rhetorical question to highlight how I dismiss the concept.
Well, if he is there, he can rest easy knowing I have no intention of replacing him.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2016, 08:50:07 PM »

So
altpersona: Warlock for all day EB.
Nifft: Druid, Binder/Wizard, Warblade/Psion.
Solo: Expert focused on Diplomacy.
Necrosnoop110: Psion/Monk to Thrallherd.
SorO: Bard, Sorcerer/Favored Soul.
ketaro: Artificer.
linklord231: Cleric/Crusader/RVK.
Vladeshi: N/A.
Samwise: Beguiler.
ADM: Ardent/Marshal/UrPriest.
Hmm, anyone else?

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2016, 11:17:10 PM »
linklord231: Cleric/Crusader/RVK.

More specifically:  Cloistered Cleric/Divine Oracle/Contemplative//Crusader.  Gives a more balanced development, where I don't have that weird pre-theurge gap for a couple levels.  Take Travel, Trickery, and Knowledge as my domains, then get Oracle and one more from PrC's later on.  Travel domain gives Freedom of Movement for when it matters, which means I basically can't be captured.  Trickery adds important skills to my class list, plus Disguise Self and Invisibility at low levels.  Having both Knowledge and Oracle means my Diviniation spells are at +3 caster level, and there's actually surprisingly little overlap in the spell list.  Detect Secret Doors probably won't see much use, but Detect Thoughts, Divination, and Commune sure will. 

I would act as the Next Great Prophet, working miracles and Smiting my enemies - when I choose to reveal myself, anyway.  I have Disguise Self and Disguise as a class skill, so I should be a slippery guy to track down. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Vizzerdrix

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2016, 08:56:53 PM »
My thoughs are a bit disjointed at the moment. Sorry if my post is a mess.

I could go commoner-1 and provide enough food to feed a nation AND get free lycanthropy. Id get a net gain of 2 extra starting feats too! But I think being a sheep part of the time could work against me. Hmm...

Artificer isnt going to cut it. Too rough of a start. I assume UA generic classes are out. Id just gestalt Arcane and Divine caster otherwise. That would provide minions to carve out a safe space and enough feats to make even me happy.

Early survival is key. I know a combo that can go a long way in the early levels, so that is what I will do.

Martial wilderness rogue-1
Feats/Flaws (5/2)-  Flaws-Noncombatant, Vulnerable. Feats- Toughness, Trollblooded, Aberant Dragonmark-Shield, Mark of Madness, Mark of Xoriat.

I have DR5 vs. something that does not exist in our world and Regeneration 1. Access to the survival skill and the 1/day ability to inflict temporary confusion on someone so I can get away. Light is a problem but if I am being hunted then moving at night is best anyways, plus it can be taken care of if I hit level 6. I dont think I have the stats for a caster, but if Im the only person leveling up then saves arent an issue. If I could get into Chamelion that would be great. Low stats wouldnt be such an issue then. Maybe human paragon for another stat boost? Lack of a spellbook would hurt though. StP Erudite for the gestalt would be handy, or just Psion.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2016, 09:23:19 PM »
I could go commoner-1 and provide enough food to feed a nation

Immediately thought you were going to say chicken-infested  :lmao

Offline Vizzerdrix

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2016, 07:12:12 AM »
I could go commoner-1 and provide enough food to feed a nation

Immediately thought you were going to say chicken-infested  :lmao

Didnt need to say it. How else would I feed everyone? Of course, with the right bard build after commoner1, I could turn those chickens into an unstopable killing force.

Commoner1 with chicken infested, weresheep, toughness, troll blooded, Skill Focus Know Religion and an open feat. Then I could set myself up as a living god.
Excerpts from the book of Donny-
"Come my children, eat of my flesh. Today I am best served lightly broiled with mint jelly and cranberry sauce."
"Lo, and he doth smote his enemies with a fowl rain of burning livestock that they may come to know his wrath in time, amen."
"And the people spoke unto him. Lord Dude on high, please reach deep into thy sack that we may feast not on the hormone infused meat of KFC, but on that wich is organic and tastey. And the lord sayith, Okay. And the thing was done. And in this way fried chicken was had by all. Amen."
"And he proclaimed to all. Oh yea who shiver in the night, or suffer the feel of poyester on thy supple skin, come. Shear my wool that you may make fine garments for yourselves. And the people did. And it was good."

All that and free lycanthropy. I could turn my priests into weresheep as well. Whats not to love.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2016, 08:01:25 AM »
That is one of the most inspirational builds I've ever seen hahaha.

The only thing I don't get is is there something special about weresheep over other lycanthropes here?

Edit: At the same time, because of the chicken-infested bard inspiration, I went and JUST learned (with over a decade playing this game) that you don't need to understand the bard to gain the bonuses of Inspire Courage, you simply need to not be mindless/immune to mind-affecting shit.

For all these years, I've been neglecting so many animal companions  :bigeyes
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 08:09:43 AM by ketaro »

Offline Vizzerdrix

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2016, 11:41:11 AM »
Weresheep is (1) granted by a flaw and (2) the only case of a hebivore lycanthrope. I would argue that as it adds a third flaw (tastey) it is meant to not add the LA.

But those are just joke flaws and not really useable. But it is fun to play around with them.

If you want something without the commoner level, try gnome DFI bard with the animal friend feat. Take a bunch of stuff with fractional hd (small birds or bats) and obtain familiar for something that can talk to them and lead the troops so to speak.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 11:51:23 AM by Vizzerdrix »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2016, 03:03:41 PM »
ooooh , you mean like the Jupiter Ascending bees scene :

(click to show/hide)
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Vizzerdrix

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2016, 06:09:32 PM »
ooooh , you mean like the Jupiter Ascending bees scene :

(click to show/hide)

I dont know what that is.