Author Topic: Races  (Read 28135 times)

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Re: Races
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2016, 02:41:05 AM »
Even outside Core books, unless you're picking up the healing options yourself, it'd be pretty unreliable to expect a party member to be playing something that doesn't get Cure spells but still has some sort of equal healing abilities.

And cutting yourself off from Cure Wands is absolutely horrifying!  :lmao

Offline CrazyYanmega

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2016, 03:45:06 AM »
Healing Belts, Healing Salves, Lay on Hands, Magic Bedrolls, the Vigor line of spells. Speaking of, I ought to get one of those belts for my character. (I'm gonna be playtesting in a solo campaign: 28 point buy, 2 flaws, 5000 Gp)

Offline Vladeshi

• Feel free to ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2016, 12:53:04 AM »
Type: Shinigami are Outsiders (native).

A Shinigami treats the Scythe as a Simple weapon. If they get proficiency in martial weapons, they automatically gain Weapon Focus(Scythe) as a bonus feat.

Quote from: SRD
An outsider possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).
Proficient with all simple and martial weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry.

...So, free Weapon Focus?  :D
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2016, 04:35:16 AM »
Screw that noise, Shinigami now are explicitly not automatically proficient with any kind of weapon.

Healing Belts, Healing Salves, Lay on Hands, Magic Bedrolls, the Vigor line of spells. Speaking of, I ought to get one of those belts for my character. (I'm gonna be playtesting in a solo campaign: 28 point buy, 2 flaws, 5000 Gp)
Step 1: Get a box.
Step 2: Have the meatbag body hide inside the box all the time.
Step 3: Have the virtually invulnerable not-familiar do all the dangerous/hard work (it's ethereal and immune to turning to boot, 99,99% of low level challenges will not even slow it down).
Step 4: Wonder what the hell the Ancient Temple reference is doing there since at best there's no interaction whatsoever as none of the soul temple stances grant invulnerable murder familiar channelers and at worst you're punished if the ancient temple stances overwrite your uber avatar of self, depending on how you read it.
Step 5: ???
Step 6: profit.

Then there's your obsession with magic missile. Why do you keep adding a no-dodge ability on your homebrew based on a bullet dodging game? :psyduck

Offline CrazyYanmega

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2016, 07:36:31 PM »
Then there's your obsession with magic missile. Why do you keep adding a no-dodge ability on your homebrew based on a bullet dodging game? :psyduck

I don't know why, but when I think of Danmaku I think Magic Missile. Also, homing amulets.  :p

Main body is still vulnerable to suffocation, so a box or bag of holding isn't a good idea. However, you make good points.

After taking an action mentioned before, the Phantom Half is now considered corporeal for 1 round.

Soul Darts can now be countered.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
Youkai Tanuki
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2016, 03:44:51 AM »
Youkai Tanuki

Tricksters extraordinaire, the Youkai Tanuki are a race of shapeshifters who delight in impersonating humans for fun. They are known to transform into objects and plants to play pranks and even live among the humans inconspicuously. They drink hard, party hard and fight hard.

They are believed to be lucky, are often associated with precious metals and are known to be a bit heavy on the booze. As such, they often take levels in Oni Brawler.
These youkai tend to live in large clans, working together and getting influence their for kind in whichever nation they hide in. Often, they manage to occupy positions of power in human societies and then work hard to protect the humans and their own from rival youkai races.

Youkai Tanuki are social creatures. They go out of their way to mingle with other races and even create friendships among many different races.
They are largely friendly to humans and so, although onlookers rarely realize that what looks to be a totally cute raccoon dog is actually a youkai, those aware of the existence of the Youkai Tanuki usually consider it to be an omen of good fortune.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 12:33:04 PM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2016, 04:35:32 AM »

I don't know why, but when I think of Danmaku I think Magic Missile. Also, homing amulets.  :p

Main body is still vulnerable to suffocation, so a box or bag of holding isn't a good idea. However, you make good points.

After taking an action mentioned before, the Phantom Half is now considered corporeal for 1 round.

Soul Darts can now be countered.

Nice, although the counter may be more complicated than needed, needing to check all ability scores. Why not simply base it on HD?

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2016, 04:17:21 PM »
I recently read the Oni, Inchling, and Shinigami and, having liked them, figured I'd make one for the Tanuki. Considering limiting the gain of new natural weapons as well though with the Alter Self already being much better, so far its highlight is a super Disguise Self effect. Its normal body being animal-shaped (which I think should be the normal body for the Kasha as well instead of the cat-shape being the optional one) gives it a glaring weakness as far as gear and equipment is concerned, since they translate badly from one form to another. AMF and everything's on the floor.

I just read this as well:
Altough that's one character I don't know much about besides that she solo-ed Reimu and two stage 6 bosses triple custom card. Hmm, 17 cards with fancy names, could make for an interesting Forbidden School. For  Dream battle perhaps with the skill of sense motive to represent balancing emotions and also mocking religions... But I'm already working on Sakuya's schools and a bunch of other stuff, so into the backburner it goes. Gah, too dispersed...
I think if anything it could be a Forbidden School to True Administrator, especially considering the background of the character itself. In implementation it would probably work well to set (though maybe not all 66 noh masks) if, like the base discipline, it could have a single stance those benefit change depending on the last linked maneuver initiated, which is represented by the initiator changing  the mask worn. Forbidden sign would be having great difficulty expressing any emotion, forcing the user to swap masks to express her emotions. With 18 titles now, it splits well for a Forbidden School. I'd do it myself if I was comfortable with that kind of martial discipline. I can imagine how it would all branch out along with a general idea of what he would do based on what is done in the game though I wouldn't like to put the numbers.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 09:15:05 PM by Anomander »

Offline CrazyYanmega

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2016, 01:28:45 PM »
Nice, although the counter may be more complicated than needed, needing to check all ability scores. Why not simply base it on HD?

I hadn't thought of that. Change implemented.,

Offline Dragonexx

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2017, 09:03:23 PM »
So, if you're willing to accept some ideas, I have my two cents to offer.  On the issue of fairy flight you don't have to give the full benefits of flying right away, or level gate flying itself. Say, a fairy has a fly speed equal to it's land speed, but flying takes a full round action until 5th level. I did a similar thing with tengu in an oriental setting that drew from touhou.

The stuff is here.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:08:03 PM by Dragonexx »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2017, 02:03:08 PM »
Sorry for the late reply here, had to take care of my other projects and ended up forgetting to answer you.

I'm personally quite satisfied with my rules for fairy flight, but your idea has merits too. When I get to writing the tengu race I may just use it. Although it's not clear whetever is a fullround action for a move-equivalent flight action or whetever you can charge from the skies or not.

Mind if I steal borrow other stuff from that thread of yours?  :D

Offline Dragonexx

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2017, 12:35:30 AM »
Go ahead.  :D

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2017, 01:45:52 AM »
Reserved.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2017, 01:46:00 AM »
Reserved.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2017, 01:46:08 AM »
Reserved.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2017, 01:46:16 AM »
Reserved.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2017, 01:46:24 AM »
Reserved.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2017, 01:46:33 AM »
Reserved.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2017, 01:46:40 AM »
Reserved.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2017, 01:46:48 AM »
Reserved.