Author Topic: Oni Brawler base class and Drunken Demon school-bring the house down tonight!  (Read 24146 times)

Offline Geigan

• View Profile
(click to show/hide)

Anyway, I'll be moving onto Dream Battle next as that's the other discipline my Oni Brawler picked up aside from the Drunken Demon and Marvelous Mt. Ooe (through feat of course).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 05:55:57 PM by Geigan »
Developer for Rule of Cool Games. Try our game system, Legend. We hope you enjoy.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
(click to show/hide)

Anyway, I'll be moving onto Dream Battle next as that's the other discipline my Oni Brawler picked up aside from the Drunken Demon and Marvelous Mt. Ooe (through feat of course).
I await your opinion.

In particular since I made Dream Battle years ago and I hope there's not been too much power creep since then.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Oni Spirit Bomb
Drunken Demon (Strike)
Level: Oni Brawler 2
Initiation Action: Standard Action
Range: See text
Duration: See text
Save DC:12+Str mod.

You must ask everybody to lend you their strength to initiate this maneuver.

When you use this maneuver you create a ball of energy in any position adjacent to you. It starts with a diameter of 5 feet per IL you have. Anyone caught inside the ball takes Profane damage equal to a Climb check from you and is tripped. A reflex save halves this damage and negates the trip. The ball also shields you from attacks, granting you total cover from attacks from the opposite direction and cover from attacks from its sides.
At the start of your turn you can choose to either throw the ball or charge it up, either takes another standard action.
If you throw it, the ball moves 60 feet in a straight line, affecting those it passes through and damaging terrain on its path,  then disappears.  You cannot make the ball move upward.
If you charge it, it doubles its diameter, it deals an extra 1d12 damage, lasts one extra turn before dissipating and increase its DC by 1d6. You can only charge the ball up to two times before running out of patience and throwing it.
If you move while charging the ball, it follows your movements.

This is a 2nd level Strike that isn't even a fullround action. Even your forbidden schools don't have a 2nd level maneuver this powerful -_-'
At the least the damage should be half a Climb check rather than a full one; you can already break 30s by 3rd level when you acquire this. As well there is no clause saying you can't affect the same creature multiple times in a single turn (or just once per use of this maneuver either) so you can just spin in circles and do like 5 to 10d20+Climb bonus in damage to one creature in a single turn or more if the enemies happened to be bunched together conveniently (it happens).
The tripping effect seems randomly placed as well. Why does Spirit Bomb trip people?
The extra damage from charging it I feel should be somewhere closer to +1d6 a round and the DC totally shouldn't be getting raised by 1d6 each turn after the first; probably just bring it down to +1 or +2 per charged turn to the DC.

This is a 2nd level maneuver. I don't even think any of your other touhou schools get half this much at 2nd level without being a school with modifiable maneuvers like Septeppe (Blood Charges), or Lunar Dial (timey-whimey stuff) or Mysterious Millennium (Drugs).

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Good points, reduced base damage to half climb check, and now just +1d6 damage and +1 DC per turn charging up.

As for the trip, because it's supposed to knock people down from sheer raw power.

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
Dish of Fantastic Drinking says they gain shield proficiency, but they already have it.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Fixed!

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Re: Drunken Demon
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2020, 07:58:01 PM »
Oni Spirit Bomb (2nd Level Strike)

How does the cover & sight limitations function for the maneuver for creatures caught inside the sphere?