Author Topic: Beetlejuice the Murderhobo  (Read 4791 times)

Offline Prak

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Beetlejuice the Murderhobo
« on: September 17, 2016, 02:02:04 AM »
Ok, lets say I wanted to play a character based on Beetlejuice.

What would people suggest build-wise? I'm kind of torn between whether to focus on illusion, necromancy or transmutation. If I went wizard I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to ban any of those three schools, but I'm not sure if Wizard is the best way to go.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Re: Beetlejuice the Murderhobo
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 05:54:01 AM »
I googled d&d Beetlejuice and get lots of results for Pazuzu. And when I think on it enough, Beetlejuice IS practically Pazuzu.

The only other take on him I found was Warlock.

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 10:36:12 AM »
Consider being a ghost with the haunt abilities from Libris Mortis (p151). TK, Illusion and Suggestion are close to bj's abil's. Take the ghostly grasp feat (LM, p27) for kicks. Beguiler could finish things off.
Apathy is ...ah screw it.
My Homebrew

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 10:41:00 AM »
this is bumming me out..

beets is just a ghost illusionist? :(
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 12:02:54 PM »
He's a dead guy AP.

Ketaro's finding him as a warlock is probably because of Nightmares Made Real (nightmare terrain with a kick). I'd forgotten that part of his abils. ScM could suit him... or as OP said, Wizard.

In D&D, I don't see an easy way for him to be granting Lydia or anyone else powers.
My Homebrew

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 12:58:51 PM »
Well, at least the majority of what you see him do in the movie can be replicated by an invocation.

Maybe running the Fiend of Blasphemy PrC from Fiend Folio. For the granting of power to others part (in form of granting cleric casting). Fiend of Corruption could also fit the flavor of Beetlejuice pretty well, and can grant Wishes *shrugs*

Beetlejuice I could see being far worse than just a corpse refusing the joys of the afterlife :p

Offline Prak

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 05:23:16 PM »
I actually entirely forgot about Beetlejuice granting powers. I'm thinking more about the transformation, fright and haunting stuff.

It occurs to me that one could animate a bunch of one HD humans as skeletons and then cast Haunt Shift and command them one way or another, shoving them all into one object. Then command them later to do stuff.

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 08:40:17 PM »
Necropolitan Changeling Wizard (Sub)/Nightmare spinner/Dread Witch?
My Homebrew

Offline Prak

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 03:55:55 AM »
Ok, if I read Dread Witch correctly... technically I could use Fearful Empowerment on a Detect Magic that I cast on myself and then make permanent. Thus I would be perpetually subject to a fear effect, albeit just one that could make me shakened, and benefit from +1 CL or cast a free cantrip every turn, right? Or I could make a choker of Fear that constantly targets the wearer with the spell, and get +3 CL or a free 2nd spell every round...

Holy crap, Dread Witch is awesome.

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 11:30:10 AM »
The effect exposing you to a fear effect condition counts as one exposure, so that choker would have to be casting fear every round in order for you to get a new 2nd level spell every round. The option to gain +3 CL for your spells would be perpetual though.
My Homebrew