Author Topic: Angels?  (Read 2678 times)

Offline Ithamar

• I'm not new!
    • View Profile
Angels?
« on: October 22, 2018, 06:05:47 PM »
So I'm playing a planar shepherd tied to Syrania.  The inhabitants of that plane are "All Angels".  Well beyond the 3 angels listed in MMI, are there any other true angels printed in any other source?

I'm spending most of my time wild shaped as a planetar at the moment, but it is a long way to go to reach the solar level.  Just curious if there are other angels that may have some utility to them.

Offline Ithamar

• I'm not new!
    • View Profile
Re: Angels?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 06:41:09 PM »
So no angels, huh?  :huh

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 11:45:40 PM »
More like your post got buried so I missed it.

One way to look at is is what's an angel?
Quote from: MotP162
The Outer planes that celestials call home foster an astounding variety of good creatures. Despite their great diversity, all celestials unite to battle fiends from the infernal realms or to assist lost travelers. Guardinals (neutral good) and eladrins (chaotic good) are invariably creatures of great beauty, though their appearances vary. Creatures they've helped on the Material Plane sometimes refer to them simply as “angels.”
Quote from: BoED124
As with the evil planes (as discussed in the Book of Vile Darkness), you can create your own cosmology of the good planes. You might prefer not to deal with the in-between planes of Arcadia, Bytopia, the Beastlands, and Ysgard, sticking with the planes that directly correlate to alignments. Conversely, you could have just a single plane of good, called Heaven, where archons, guardinals, eladrins, and angels coexist with little distinction among them (perhaps they are all called angels).
And if you include them, the Celestial breakdown is Archon (LG), Guardinal (NG), & Eladrins (CG). Sort of like Devils (LE), Yugoloth (NE), & Demons (CE).
But if you want actual Angels, as in the subtype, there are a few. The Solar is the highest ranking one while the Planetar operates as a general of forces. And Deva is actually broken down into three types & ranks. Movanic Devas are the weakest and they oversee the the Positive, Negative, and Material Planes. Monadic Devas oversee the Ethereal Plane and the Elemental Planes. And Astral Devas used to oversee the Lower Planes and would attempt to rescue Good-aligned allies stuck in the lower planes. But in the Third Edition update they were moved to overseeing interplanar travelers. There was also a "Agathion" Angel and it appears they were 1st Edition & Planescape limited but otherwise function as Guardinals do in 3rd. PFSRD also seems to think this as their Agathion list is composed of Guardinals.

The Movanic and Monadic Devas can be found under Deva in the 3.0 supplement Fiend Folio.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 11:50:15 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Ithamar

• I'm not new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 03:49:11 PM »
I was presuming it was only stuff with the actual [Angel] subtype, though perhaps the DM will let it apply to all of those goodly, winged types.  And I had completed overlooked the 2 in Fiend Folio!

Thanks for the help.

Offline Nanashi

• it means "he who has no name" in a foreign tongue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 11:40:28 PM »
Monster Manual 4 explicitly calls the Justice Archon an angel, though it doesn't have the subtype and Eberron Archons belong in Shavarath.

You also have Prismatic Golems of Monster Manual 3 who are said in their entry to be from Syrania.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 11:45:50 PM by Nanashi »

Offline Ithamar

• I'm not new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 07:19:28 PM »
Interesting about the justice archon, I'll check it out.  Thanks!

While prismatic golems are cool, Planar Shepherd never gets the ability to wild shape into constructs.  Outside of the old 3.0 Shaper, I don't think that's even possible.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 10:31:27 PM »
Planar Shepherd never gets the ability to wild shape into constructs.  Outside of the old 3.0 Shaper, I don't think that's even possible.
True but City Soul does let you become an animated object common in the city.

Imagine the counter intuitive idea of a Druid-ran city with this. They bury long adamantine shackles under the streets and hide them in walls to make them common and giving them a Hardness 20 form for law enforcement measons.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 11:46:22 PM »
This thread might help with Planar Shepherd forms.

Offline Ithamar

• I'm not new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 02:57:13 PM »
Thanks!  I hadn't seen that handbook before.  :)