Author Topic: Unearthed Arcana: Feeling Mystical!  (Read 7549 times)

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
Re: Unearthed Arcana: Feeling Mystical!
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 09:57:00 PM »
Are you taking Psionic Mastery into account? That's an extra 9PP at 11th/12th, 18PP at 13th/14th, 33PP at 15th/16th and 44PP at 17th-20th.

Yes, it still scales a bit weirdly, but if you were to assign spells from normal full casters to PP (minus a bit due to flexibility), they make a bit of sense. Kind of.......

Yeah, I am. That doesn't help matters.

I'm a bit... neurotic about this kind of thing.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 01:05:17 AM »
I haven't done the math yet, but I almost wonder if Warlock would be a better comparison.  Caps out at 5th level spell-equivalents, with Psionic Mastery filling the role of the slotless higher level Warlock spells. 

How many Short Rests would a Warlock have to take in order to have an comparable number of PP per day?
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 01:06:59 AM »
Just because this is minmax, I figured some combos are in order. Just assume anything from outside the class is given by another party member. Or that you don't listen to TenJ about anything.

It's good to find the busted stuff.  I gave that kind of feedback on the previous two mystic iterations, and it would seem enough people did the same to push a feature like Strength of Mind from level 1 to level 4 on versions 2 and 3.  Figure out what's ridiculously powerful and report it if you want the final version to be balanced (or don't if you like unbalanced stuff).  Don't be shocked there's powerful multiclass interactions because they've outright told everyone they don't think about that until the end of the design process.

Visions of Disgust and Conjure Animals. Those itty bitty beasts don't look so weak now that they're causing an auto-d6 of psychic damage each turn. A 1min long placable AoE is pretty nice. Especially if you stack tiny creatures or swarms on the BBEG. 8d6 to begin with, but can scale all the way to 32d6 as a lvl9 conjure for massive DoT. No attacks, barely anything resists it, one failed Wis save and the mental pain occurs. Why did it have to be snakes?

There's no way for players to get swarms without some real stretches of RAW, and RAI is that swarms aren't legal for just about anything players do involving beasts.  Cows are the highest damage CR 1/4 beast one could summon with Conjure Animals iirc, but there's a case for Velociraptors with their Pack Tactics.  Flying Snakes are pretty good for CR 1/8 but you don't want to keep them close to an enemy.  Cows are the toughest things to just leave next to a bad guy unless he can use fireball or something equivalent while excluding himself from the effect.

Iron Durability focus and Bestial Transformation (Thick Hide). A lazy, casual +3 AC for an hour that stacks with most things, no concentration needed. Completely worth dipping the class for, just for two hours a day of this (despite what TenJ says about dipping UAs). Damn nice for a mono-mystic anyway for 2pp. Combining this with Cloak of Air makes you incredibly difficult to hit with attacks for ten minutes, though it'll use your concentration and 5pp at mystic (3) to run it.

Those are more relevant at higher levels, since nonmagical AC scales against CR-appropriate attack rolls about as well as a non-proficient saving throw scales against save DCs.

There's limited scry and die available in the class, or rather, scry and teleport and kill. Nomadic Mind has a couple of powers that aren't too bad for the finding or seeing part of that (they're good because you can "mentally see" with the sensor, while still retaining your normal vision). Then just Phantom Caravan the whole party in on top of them if they're within a mile of you. Or an entire army eventually with Nomad's Gate cubes. It's not that much different from a high-end mage, but it's there in Mystic as well. At a relatively early level and at a cheap price too.
(The whole Nomad discipline set is what keeps the class really relevant at higher levels imo, though Awakened is nice too. There's lots of nice control/damage/buff spells available elsewhere, but some of the Nomad stuff is quite hard or expensive to do with other classes).

Some of the blasting is decent, but agreed, those disciplines you mentioned are the gems.  The blasts are alright because a lot of the capstone blasts have conditions attached.

Nomad's Gate is essentially a Portal gun, but only for creatures. Which is a pity. There's a lot of stupid stuff to do with it though. Everything from creating the exit cube 1 mile up in the air and having someone push the BBEG through it (splat!), to dropping them to the bottom of the ocean and ceasing concentration (Bond villain villain death). Watch some youtube vids and see if you can recreate them in DnD.

It's comparable to Arcane Gate, though it lacks some of the in-combat shenanigans of Arcane Gate since Arcane Gate can be made invisible from one side.  Nomad's Gate is far superior for range though.

Not actually a combo (because I haven't worked out anything to combo it with yet), but Cloud Stairs doesn't have a range noted. Which means it's "anywhere you have LoS to" I guess. Good for instant siege towers while you command from the rear, but there's gotta be more to do with it than that.

It also doesn't say it must be an unoccupied square.  If that's intended, it's potentially a superior Levitate if the staircase forms from the ground up or you put the stairs on top of or around a target to keep them from moving.  The ability says they're solid.

Blind Spot = very nice.  Single target Invis as a ++ version of True Strike and Hide.  Dip target for sneaks.  Expect some muted cries of borkny.
Delusion = single target Minor Illusion = classic from previous editions.  Very nice anyway, especially since it shouldn't be obvious you "cast" it.  No wonder I rolled 20 earlier.

Considering you give off 0 indication to anyone watching that you're making these things happen with no limitation on how often they can be used, it would be amusing to RP a mystic as the biggest douchebag in the world, or the most enlightened 5 year-old prankster.

"I've tapped into the deepest powers of the mind to give people surprise wedgies and to make them hear fart sounds whenever they try to listen to someone else talk."
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:08:35 AM by TenaciousJ »
Make Eberron Great Again! #MEGA

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 04:18:52 PM »
You're a naughty boy aren't you?

They could or ought to allow Smell based delusion in there too (hey do you smell that ... oh was that me?).
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2017, 09:19:59 PM »
Strange question: Bestial Claws from the Bestial Form discipline doesn't list any casting time or action used, and states that it occurs instantly in the use-of text.

Does this mean you can make an extra 27 d10 damage slashing attacks in one turn at Mystic lvl5 for 27 PP if you really want to? They're individually worth 1PP, so you haven't broken that limit, and they don't require any "action", you just make a melee weapon attack within 5' instantly with each use of the discipline. There's no limit stated on how many times you can use a discipline on each turn either.

It's only on your own turn assumedly, because it'd need a reaction to be used otherwise, but it's able to be used to an amount only limited by remaining PP at 1PP an attack. No action needed.

Because it reads like that......

(Berserker Barrage!)

(every other thing states the action to be used. This doesn't, so it seems to be intended. Broken as hell, but intentionally so?)

(it's a "normal" melee weapon attack. So you add your basic melee attack modifier to that attack's damage (and to-hit), Strength in this case. Ouch!

As well as being able to use anything that triggers off "melee weapon attacks". Nice. This means you can use: BM superiority die, pally Smites, and can give druid wildshape actual "melee weapon attack". Probably other stuff too. But no monk or dex finesse stuff like Sneak Attack)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 12:14:12 AM by sambojin »

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2017, 12:25:44 AM »
Claw, claw, claw, claw, claw, claw, move a bit, claw, claw, claw, claw, move a bit more, claw claw claw claw claw, move, claw claw claw, move, claw claw claw claw.

Ok, we go invisible now :D

I very much doubt that was what was intended, but whether you cap it at psi-limit per turn, or even one use per turn, it's still a good ability in an already useful discipline. Who doesn't want an extra 1d10 melee weapon attack, on call, for 1PP? Well, non-melee people don't, but just another reason to look at it as dip-bait for totally non-magical or melee based classes, whilst still being a fairly good discipline for proper casters, or even on its own as a mono-mystic.

(if Mystic was a class level, at around level 6-7, and you read it as: "You get +1AC because you think you're Durably Ironclad, and can choose to have an extra +2AC for an hour twice a day, or an extra 1d10 slashing melee weapon attack four times a day", you'd think it was the greatest melee class level ever. Except a Mystic level is way better than that)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 01:35:25 AM by sambojin »