Author Topic: Good paladin gestalt builds  (Read 3438 times)

Offline fulong

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Good paladin gestalt builds
« on: December 03, 2020, 08:26:58 PM »
We are doing core only and I am wondering what are some strong paladin gestalt builds? Paladin has to be level up at every gestalt level. I was thinking maybe an charger with access to 9th level spellcasting. Also I think the dm said ACFs for paladin are fine.

Offline Nanashi

• it means "he who has no name" in a foreign tongue.
    • View Profile
Re: Good paladin gestalt builds
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 12:25:51 PM »
Firstly, I'm assuming you're doing 3.5 since you said ACF instead of archetype?

Paladin is one of the stronger passive classes in gestalt. Ideally it would only be taken for two levels to get Divine Grace, but it's still a d10, full BAB, good fort save and has a scaling special mount. Any charisma based full caster (just Sorcerer and the much weaker Shugenja as far as I can recall are pure charisma, with several classes being MAD dependent upon charisma) is a potent combo on its own. The biggest strength you have is that while gestalt is typically simplified to two halves of a character, the actual rules say you combine two classes. This is actually to your advantage as a Paladin since, under that wording, Battle Blessing (Complete Champion) applies to spells from both halves as your one class that is named "Paladin".

If your GM doesn't bite on this, I note Shugenja is actually quite a bit better than normal under these circumstances since you get the proficiencies of Paladin, and its Turn Undead (which Shugenja desperately wants to qualify for prestige classes that expand its lackluster spell list). Sorcerer is still likely better (especially since shugenja are spontaneous and therefore unable to use Swift Spell and abuse Ruby Knight Vindicator even if it isn't barred from gestalt and deity restrictions), but it's absolutely an option.

Offline fulong

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 01:01:43 PM »
Unfortunately it's core only although dm would allow noncore stuff if I can get it approved but the dm said he's trying to reduce the power creep despite the campaign being gestalt. Yeah I did thought about getting a sorcadin gestalt and that wouldn't be too bad. I also thought about maybe doing druid so I could get a flying mount but I was wondering if flying mount would proc a charge every round with ride by attack.

Offline Nanashi

• it means "he who has no name" in a foreign tongue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 03:42:12 PM »
Sorcerer can just cast Overland Flight and grab fly-by attack. No need for a mount

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Rolling a boulder up a hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 05:50:19 PM »
If the GM wants to reduce power-creep he really shouldn't be doing Core. Generally if you want to have less crazy power levels you're better off banning Core and making people play stuff like Psionics + Tome of Battle classes.

If you're playing a Paladin the usual recommendation is that you combine it with a Cha-based class since most of its features synergize well with Cha-based classes, so that pretty much means either Sorcadin or Bardadin, but Bardadin is more likely to make you suffer the problems with following a Paladin Code of Conduct if you want to be the party face and the party rogue on top of doing Paladin things, and it's not a 9th level caster unless you prestige the Bard into Sublime Chord, which is not Core.  Sorcerers can also polymorph their mounts into all kinds of strange and devastating forms, especially if they use Share Spells for a double polymorph, whereas Bards are restricted towards Alter Self in that capacity.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 08:01:00 PM »
Paladins must be Lawful Good in Core, while Bards must be non-lawful so Bardadin won't work.  Sorcadin looks to be the best option.

See my signature for links to ACF compilations.

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Rolling a boulder up a hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 12:53:28 PM »
Ah, point.