Author Topic: The Artisan Class  (Read 9767 times)

Offline valen0121

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
The Artisan Class
« on: August 27, 2015, 01:55:40 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Is their a handbook for Artisan Class? Has anyone played one or have any suggestions on how to optimized one? I'm still trying to decide on playing a gnome, half elf, and human. I will be starting off at 1st level. We will be using a 25 point buy for attributes.

The Artisan (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/3rd-party-publisher---drop-dead-studios---classes/the-artisan)

Thanks,
Valen
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 02:19:45 AM by valen0121 »

Offline TiaC

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Is this to be?
    • View Profile
Re: The Artisan Class
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 02:27:45 AM »
Well, you obviously want as many cost/time reducers as you can get. So, take things like the Efficient Enchanting and Expert Enchanting Craftsman Techniques, Hedge Magician, Spark of Creation and Eldritch Smith traits, Make sure to have a valet familiar to double crafting speed, the Amazing Tools of Manufacture might work as well, and an All Tools Vest so that you can work on the move.

You're Int-based, so I recommend the Pragmatic Activator trait to key UMD off Int.

Other good techniques include Improved Enhancement, Metamagic Rod Mastery, Scroll Mastery, Telekinesis(get big arrows), Wand Empowerment, and Wand Mastery.

One option I see is taking Consumables, making yourself some Bountiful Bottles or items of Alchemical Allocation, and enjoying all-day buffs.

If you can find some way to game a Droskar's Guiding Ring, it's awesome, otherwise it's worthless.

Offline valen0121

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 03:02:35 PM »
Hey TiaC,

Thanks for the info, this will help greatly.

Valen

Offline TiaC

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Is this to be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 06:10:16 PM »
Since you're playing with 3rd party material, see if you can get the Steelforge Playtest approved.

So, here's some build suggestions. At 10th level, your cumulative Magical Essence + WBL is 109,600gp.

Wand-Wielding Maniac:
(Note this text: "An artisan may create potions, spell completion items, magic device traps, or spell trigger items, even if he does not have access to the prerequisite spells. To do this, the artisan’s class level must equal or exceed the spell’s minimum caster level." Therefore, you can create items of higher caster level than your own.)
Human Artisan 10
Ability scores at level 10: Str 10, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 22, Wis 10, Cha 8
132 Skill points, Max whatever crafts you need and UMD.
Traits: Pragmatic Activator, Hedge Magician, and Spark of Creation. (Take a drawback for the third trait.)
Crafter's Art: Arcana
Feats:
Craft Wondrous Item
Scribe Scroll
Craft Wand
Craft Magic Arms and Armor
1: Quick Draw
Human:
3:
5: Two-Wand Technique
7:
9: Craft Rod
Craftsman techniques:
3: Efficient Enchanting
6: Wand Mastery
9: Metamagic Rod Mastery
For 22337gp, you can make two CL 11 wands of empowered Scorching ray. As a standard action, you can deal up to 136 damage. (or 156 with a different reading of Empower Damage)
Then, get a few lesser persistent metamagic rods and some low-level Save-or Lose wands that target all three saves, and you're in good shape offensively. Fill the rest of your WBL with defensive and utility items.

Offline valen0121

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 01:36:34 AM »
Hey TiaC,

The DM has decided for the 3 new players, including me will start off at 1st level. He will be running separate adventures for us. Do you recommend for the creation feat (scribe scroll) and crafter's art (arcana)?

Thanks,
Valen

Offline TiaC

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Is this to be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 02:32:11 AM »
At level 1, Scribe scroll and Brew Potion are the only Crafting feats you'll be able to afford. Scrolls are cheaper, but potions can be used in armor and have some very nice tricks at higher levels. Regardless, you won't be doing much crafting at level 1. At second level, you'll want Craft Wondrous Item, because it is the broadest crafting feat.

When it comes to crafter's art, most of them are decent.
Cloth allows you to have a high AC while avoiding arcane spell failure.
Mechanics is pretty bad all around.
Metal's level one ability doesn't last long enough to be worth it, the 9th level ability is worthless because enhancing it to be a +4 weapon will overcome all that DR anyways, and the 17th level isn't good enough to make up for the others.
Weapons helps if you want to use weapons. You can grab proficiency in a good melee and a good ranged weapon.
Armor lets you raise your AC a bit, but it's probably not worth it.
Leather has a pretty interesting 9th level ability, but a caster still does it better.
Stone gives you some defensive abilities, but like Armor, it's not that great.
Wood is OK at first level, but it just gets worse from there.
Jewelry doesn't really do anything worth caring about until 17th level.
Arcana isn't bad at higher levels, but I'd avoid it at 1st.
Consumables doesn't do anything at first level, but it's possibly the best art at higher levels.

So, it depends on what you want to do. I'd say Consumables, Cloth, and Weapons are probably the "most powerful" options, but not every build will want to use them. If you aren't using weapons, don't want to abuse potions, and want to wear heavier armor, then you should pick something else, such as leather or arcana.

Offline valen0121

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 06:10:07 PM »
What do you think about the feats: Apprentice - Craftsman (Dungeon Master's Guide II), Extraordinary Artisan (Eberron Campaign Setting)?

Or should I take the Alternate Racial Traits - Focused Study? Which will give me Skill Focus at level 1st, 8th, and 16th?

Valen
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:12:41 PM by valen0121 »

Offline TiaC

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Is this to be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 07:15:55 PM »
Only take Focused Study if you need Skill Focus as a prerequisite to something else. Just get a wand (or an eternal wand) of Crafter's Fortune or other skill-boosting spells if your skill checks are low.

If 3.5 material is allowed, things change. I suggest you look at this guide. Taking Extraordinary Artisan, Magical Artisan(Extraordinary Artisan), Efficient Enchanting and the two cost-reducing traits lets you craft things for 19.04% of their market value. Adding Exceptional Artisan and Magical Artisan(Exceptional Artisan) brings you down to 14.28% cost. This would allow you to craft a +10 weapon for 28556gp.

Another thing to look out for is spells that appear at a lower level on some lists or only appear on certain lists. They are often cheaper that way. For example, Suggestion is a 2nd level spell for bards, so a wand of suggestion would be cheaper if it was made with the bard version.

Offline valen0121

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 11:43:25 PM »
Unfortunately the DM is only allowing 2 traits and and can only get one from a category of traits.

Valen

Offline TiaC

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Is this to be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 02:24:59 AM »
Then you can take Clever Wordplay(Use magic Device) and Spark of Creation.

Offline valen0121

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 01:51:40 AM »
Should I keep or drop Apprentice (Craftsman)?

Valen

Offline TiaC

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Is this to be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 03:48:52 AM »
It's less effective than Extraordinary Artisan, Magical Artisan(Extraordinary Artisan) and Efficient Enchanting, so you should probably only take it if you want more cost reduction after taking those. You might need the feat for something else.

Offline valen0121

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 02:21:30 AM »
Hey TiaC,

Doesn't magical artisan require an item creation feat like scribe scroll, you have listed extraordinary artisan for it?

Thanks,

Valen

Offline TiaC

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Is this to be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 04:31:04 AM »
Extraordinary Artisan is an Item Creation Feat. You can tell because it has the [Item Creation] tag. Since you will be using it whenever you craft an item, Magical Artisan will apply to everything you make.

Offline valen0121

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 01:03:59 AM »
Hey TiaC thanks for the help, here's what I have come up with your help. the DM is letting me have the traits Pragmatic Activator and Spark of Creation. Still trying to decide on Crafter's Art.

Level - 01
Race - Human
Class - Artisan

Str - 10
Dex -14
Con - 14
Int - 20
Wis - 10
Cha - 08

Hit Points - 10

Feats (2): Extraordinary Artisan, Magical Artisan (Extraordinary Artisan)

Traits (2): Pragmatic Activator, Spark of Creation

Crafter's Art (1): Arcana
Creation Feat (1): Scribe Scroll
Master Craftsman - Craft (Calligraphy)

Skills
Appraise +9
Craft (Alchemy) +10
Craft (Armor) +10
Craft (Calligraphy) +12
Craft (Clockwork) +10
Craft (Jewelry) +10
Craft (Leatherworking) +10
Craft (Sculptures) +10
Craft (Sewing) +10
Craft (Traps) +10
Craft (Weapons) +10
Disable Device +6
Knowledge (Arcana) +9
Knowledge (Engineering) +9
Use Magic Device +10

I have 800 gp to spend on equipment and to make scrolls.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 02:16:08 AM by valen0121 »

Offline TiaC

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Is this to be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 02:29:23 AM »
Ok, that looks pretty good. If you see yourself in melee a lot, you could switch your strength and dexterity, or lower your charisma to 7 to raise a stat from 10 to 12, but if you don't see yourself in the think of things a lot then your current stats look great.

So, some of your equipment choices are going to depend on your crafter's art. For instance, if you picked Weapons, your choice of weapons would be rather different.

Now, with the feats you have, you can craft a CL 1 scroll of a 1st level spell for 6.68gp. Now, this means that you can make a lot of these basic scrolls. I suggest you take advantage of this by scribing a dozen or two utility spells so that you can be prepared for most things that come your way. Avoid spells with saves, they will have low DCs. Then, make a few more expensive scrolls; (Higher CL or higher level spells) these will be for when you really need some oomph. You're still 1st level, so like a 1st level caster, just using a weapon is often going to be a good idea.

Offline valen0121

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 01:00:05 AM »
Is my math correct for crafting a 1st level scroll at caster level 1?

Cost Reduction
Crafting it yourself instead of buying it .50
Efficient Enchanting   .75
Extraordinary Artisan .75
Magical Artisan .75
Spark of Life .95

.50 * .75 * .75 * .75 * .95 = .200390625

1st level scroll
25 * .200390625 = 5.01 gp

Offline TiaC

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Is this to be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 02:46:08 AM »
Yeah, that looks right to me. I hope you can see why Efficient Enchanting should be one of your first techniques.

Offline valen0121

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2015, 01:33:32 AM »
It will definitely be my 1st technique. Already working on an exel spread sheet for potions, scrolls, and wands. :)

Valen

Offline valen0121

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 01:02:04 AM »
Hey TiaC,

The DM is restricting me to spells from the Pathfinder books.  Any suggestions for choosing spells for scrolls?

Thanks,

Valen