Author Topic: Savage Worlds advice  (Read 3195 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Savage Worlds advice
« on: December 27, 2011, 10:39:10 PM »
I'm going to play in my first game of Savage Worlds soon, the Weird World II setting.  Any character creation necessities/traps I should be aware of?

Offline xaotiq1

• I don't always play D&D. But when I do, it's 3.X!
    • View Profile
Re: Savage Worlds advice
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 10:59:35 PM »
Hmm, well, I'm not too familiar with Weird War II, but I'm pretty sure the guts skill will be helpful. If it's available, the "Veteran" edge is almost never bad. Can't argue with extra XP. A high Notice skill and the Quick edge will save your bacon, a lot. Nerves of Steel might do you well also. Most of the "professional" edges aren't really worth it IMHO. Oh, and tests of will can ruin your day, so I suggest a rank in all of the skills like Intimidate and Taunt. That's all Ive got for now. Have fun!
"Love doesn't share itself with the world. Love is suspicious, love is needy. Love is fearful, love is greedy. My friends, there is no great love without great jealousy!"  Bender Bending Rodriguez

Offline Dragon Snack

• Lurker
  • Game Store Owner
    • View Profile
    • Dragon Snack Games
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 05:03:42 AM »
I've only played Weird Wars in a Convention game with a pre-gen character (while I ran the table for my store, it was in the room behind me)...

Definitely a high Guts skill.  Marksman (a seasoned level Edge) may not be as advantageous as it looks, since you will want mobility in this setting (most 'things' seemed to run at you).  At least one character needs decent Knowledge skills.  Taunt and Intim at d6 so you can take Strong Willed could work well, you shake the creature then your buddies have an easier time wounding it - assuing it doesn't have Hardy (the +2 helps for resisting as well).

Make sure you are aware of combat tricks and other tips - cover, crouching, double tap, those situational modifiers can save your bacon...

Other than that more info on the actual setting (European/Pacific theater, raid/espionage/grunts) could give us a better idea (I'm assuming ground forces in my suggestions above, but I think they had info for air and naval units in the book as well).
If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 12:46:11 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  My character has already been created and solidified, but I'll remember the situational modifiers.