Author Topic: [Discussion] Brute Squad discussion thread  (Read 61941 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: [Discussion] Brute Squad discussion thread
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2012, 04:48:34 PM »
love the link to the down GITTP site...

Not my fault it's down :D

It's for the halloween prc contest.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline bobthe6th

• Not sure what to put here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2012, 04:53:08 PM »
sure, thats what they all say... ;)

also, I was reading through that...  very nice.  was not entierly clear on the whole shadow cloak thing though.  still, kinda cool. 
avatar by Szilard, thank you sir for the fine work!

my home brew.  you should PEACH them...
Telekineticist
Razor

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2012, 04:57:27 PM »
SirP two questions:

1) How would you judge this ability from the Mind Flayer class functions with spellshaping, if it does at all?
A mind flayer who multiclasses for an arcane/psionic class can count his Mind Flayer levels as levels of that class for purposes of CL/ML and for the purposes of learning new spells/powers and getting new spell slots/power points. So for example, a Mind Flayer 3 who took 1 level of sorcerer could choose to have CL 4, get 3 2nd level spell slots, 1 1st level spell slot, 1 2nd level spell known and 1 0th level spell known. He wouldn't get the spell knowns and spell slots of a sorcerer 3 however.  He would get the familiar ability, but mind flayer levels wouldn't count for it.

and 2) would you judge that the mind flayer's abilities that function with his tentacles such us

Battle of Minds:The Mind Flayer fights smarter not harder. It may use either his Int or Cha modifier instead of strength in his to hit roll attacks with tentacles.

would function with Darkened ones tendrils since they are "A shadow tendril is a conjured tentacle"?

My guess is NO but i thought I should ask  :D

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2012, 05:01:20 PM »
I don't think we really need mooks like that in any case.

As for samnemath, I've considered that combination myself before. Though I also had the two levels of Oslecamo's Choker monster class, which not only grants two tentacle attacks with reach (and which synergize well with Darkened One), but grappling bonuses and an extra standard or move action every round; combined with impulse mage, you shouldn't run out of formulae even using two each round.

Also, if I were to go with the pseudonatural creature route, both characters would be thematically-linked. :D

Well it depends. It only gains +4 from improved grab but it loses 4 for being small. Also the quickness ability cannot be used with spells or powers. Do spell-like abilities count?

I'm pretty sure that both Oslecamo and SirP marked it as ok. SLA's don't take any concentration for creatures to use (and thus don't require somatic or verbal components to use), and thus don't tax the choker's mind so much that it can't use them. I suppose that makes Chokers the best Warlocks there are, since they can just double-blast all day long. Heck, with their reach, they're also pretty damn good with eldritch glaive, since they don't need pounce or anything to be able to move and cast it. Also good Dragonfire Adepts, of course, for much the same reason, and largely the reason my other character in the other group went with Dragonheart Adept rather than impulse mage. Besides the fantastic fluff accompanying the choice. :)

Still, I'm not trying to convince you to do this. Just marking down my thoughts, really. :)

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2012, 05:09:47 PM »
Don't worry you are not pressuring me :). I also thought about (as it would also allow him to both spellshape and intimidate each round) it but I was unsure if it would work with spellshaping.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2012, 05:12:05 PM »
sure, thats what they all say... ;)

also, I was reading through that...  very nice.  was not entierly clear on the whole shadow cloak thing though.  still, kinda cool.
  Thank you!  What's confusing about it?

SirP two questions:

1) How would you judge this ability from the Mind Flayer class functions with spellshaping, if it does at all?
A mind flayer who multiclasses for an arcane/psionic class can count his Mind Flayer levels as levels of that class for purposes of CL/ML and for the purposes of learning new spells/powers and getting new spell slots/power points. So for example, a Mind Flayer 3 who took 1 level of sorcerer could choose to have CL 4, get 3 2nd level spell slots, 1 1st level spell slot, 1 2nd level spell known and 1 0th level spell known. He wouldn't get the spell knowns and spell slots of a sorcerer 3 however.  He would get the familiar ability, but mind flayer levels wouldn't count for it.
You'd count as full IL, and you'd learn new formulae at the appropriate levels.

and 2) would you judge that the mind flayer's abilities that function with his tentacles such us

Battle of Minds:The Mind Flayer fights smarter not harder. It may use either his Int or Cha modifier instead of strength in his to hit roll attacks with tentacles.

would function with Darkened ones tendrils since they are "A shadow tendril is a conjured tentacle"?

My guess is NO but i thought I should ask  :D
I have to check Darkened One & get back to you.

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2012, 05:21:07 PM »
You'd count as full IL, and you'd learn new formulae at the appropriate levels.

But the number of formulae prepared would not rise?

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2012, 05:29:45 PM »
I'm pretty sure all formulae implementing abilities increase as though you gained another level in the class, but you don't gain other class features. That's how most casting-progression classes work. Formulae-granting ones give their own progression for formulae known/prepared, so they aren't the proper source to look at I imagine.

It's kind of like how a Prestige class that advances casting would advance the damage of a warlock's eldritch blast, and grants new invocations and the level of invocation learnable, but doesn't necessarily increase their energy resistance or damage reduction (unless the specific PrC grants those things, of course).

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2012, 05:33:04 PM »
If it works like that it isn't bad. Imagine a Mindflayer with 30 ft long shadow tentacles sprouting from around his mouth  :cool

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2012, 05:39:59 PM »
a couple questions here too, while i finish up my buddies...

1- assuming not, but is the Symbiotic template (savage species) allowed?

2- 1st-level followers get maximum gp for their class level? or do i have to roll?

3- animal companions get which elite array? what about 2 flaws +1 trait?
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2012, 06:47:53 PM »
a couple questions here too, while i finish up my buddies...

1- assuming not, but is the Symbiotic template (savage species) allowed?
Nope.  Tauric is in, using osle's version only. (Actually technically it's Venn's version.)

2- 1st-level followers get maximum gp for their class level? or do i have to roll?
Max gp is fine.

3- animal companions get which elite array? what about 2 flaws +1 trait?
Is there more than one?  Also, no flaws or traits for the cohorts.  (Sohala, did I tell you differently? If so, we'll go with what I told you, instead.)

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2012, 07:14:28 PM »
Well multiple followers... Do the companions get elite array? Or just standard?
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Sohala

• A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2012, 07:30:26 PM »
Is there more than one?  Also, no flaws or traits for the cohorts.  (Sohala, did I tell you differently? If so, we'll go with what I told you, instead.)
I will have to do some digging, but he presently has two flaws. This could be from you or it could be not.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2012, 07:31:13 PM »
Actually, I think cohorts get the elite array, but followers get the standard array. At least, that was how it was handled the last (and only, I think) time I used Leadership.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2012, 07:33:29 PM »
Well multiple followers... Do the companions get elite array? Or just standard?
Companions get the normal one since they're not cohorts.  (Wild cohorts act like companions.)

Offline bobthe6th

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2012, 07:36:17 PM »
urge to have an ice devil cohort rising...  would be so silly and so much fun.  admittedly it would remove the divine buff angle...  still, a DVMM caster might do the job better then a cohort.

Telekineticist
Razor

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2012, 08:10:59 PM »
Devil of some sort makes more sense for your character anyway. With your backstory of being summoned and immediately shoved into the games, it would be a little odd if you had a random human (or similar race) following you around.

Don't worry about the buff angle either. I'm leaning towards something Ritualistic (possibly even Ritualtastic) and should be able to cover our buffing needs.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2012, 08:19:41 PM »
Devil of some sort makes more sense for your character anyway. With your backstory of being summoned and immediately shoved into the games, it would be a little odd if you had a random human (or similar race) following you around.

Don't worry about the buff angle either. I'm leaning towards something Ritualistic (possibly even Ritualtastic) and should be able to cover our buffing needs.

Ooh, this makes me very happy.  What sort of ritualism were you feeling?  Straightforward ritualist?  Perplexing glyphwalker? Sinister witchblood?  Destructive bloodfire seeker?

Offline bobthe6th

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2012, 08:22:05 PM »
heh, then we can get a proper army of hell vibe going.  small crowd of lemures, an ice devil, and bearded devils summoned with some frequency(or just more lemures, the real things are nasty.)

also...  wondering if the lemures can also get the inocent form feat...  as people tend to complain if we get rotting molten flesh every were. 

Telekineticist
Razor

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2012, 08:41:07 PM »
Quote from: sirpercival
Ooh, this makes me very happy.  What sort of ritualism were you feeling?  Straightforward ritualist?  Perplexing glyphwalker? Sinister witchblood?  Destructive bloodfire seeker?

I'm currently hovering between Glyphwalker and Witchblood. The latter is perhaps more in line with the team theme but the former is better at buffing and appeals to me a bit more right now.

And with Glyphwalker we can add crawling scribbles of arcane text to our army.

Incidently, how is a spell ritual different from an ordinary ritual (other than the obvious)? Are there different rules for learning, casting, or discharging them? Specifically, can a Glyphwalker learn spell rituals since it is stated to be able to learn "any" rituals?

Sorry if this is covered in the ritual rules. I looked but I couldn't find anything explaining exactly what a spell ritual was.