Author Topic: The Path of Chaos - The Red Gate  (Read 124075 times)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
The Path of Chaos - The Red Gate
« on: July 01, 2013, 12:45:12 AM »
The party arrives at the crossroads as the sun begins to set.  The Argos guardsmen that remain inform you that Captain Smith awaits you in one of the buildings.  The rain is lighter here, but more constant than the slow trickle of huge raindrops that you saw under the canopy on the road from the ferry. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 12:18:01 AM by Gnomeo »
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: The Path of Chaos - The Red Gate
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 10:43:33 PM »
Caerus sighs upon hearing the guard and heads off to see the Captain.  As he enters the building, the thought of a warm bed takes over for a second.

I really need to sleep.

Coming to his senses after a split second, he greets Captain Smith.

"Good evening, Captain.  I have good news. We found Toral."

As he stands, he shifts his weight and slumps to one side, trying to mitigate the aches in his feet.
Myrielle: "I think you're worth the trouble, even if the others don't."

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 11:22:13 PM »
Stomping his feet and walking with his chest puffed out, Nelio walks Toral up to the front of the group to present him to Captain Smith.

"Caerus was able to follow the tracks of the two half-orc rangers into the swamp. After a hard fought battle with several of the same "plant zombie" type creatures that I defeated in the barracks yesterday, we were able to save Toral. Amazingly, he had been able to avoid and hide from the creatures since he went missing. The gods were looking out for the young man. Unfortunately, the fate of the guardsmen and possibly the rangers is nothing but bad news. Something in the swamp had turned them into those vile creatures. We did not find any other survivors. The swamp best be avoided until the source of this scourge can be eradicated. Our primary concern, however, is to make sure the boy gets home safely. Is anyone in your group headed back to Argos?"

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 12:45:01 AM »
By the look on his face when you arrive, Smith is completely shocked that the boy had survived the ordeal.  "I'm sure you have quite a story to tell, but a warm fire and a hot meal are in order.  We still have plenty of bear meat that hasn't spoiled yet, so the stew is very hearty tonight."  He takes Toral under his arm and walks him to the common room where a few of the guards are eating.  Cheers and greetings meet Toral as he enters, and Smith ushers him in and closes the door behind him.

Without turning from the door, Smith says, "I've spent many nights alone in the dark in my time as a guardsman.  Warm food, warm bed, and warm faces are the only remedy.  Some only return in body, but not in spirit."  Turning now to face the group, he says, "I wanted to thank you before turning you loose on the stew.  You have my deepest gratitude for returning Toral to us.  I fear it has come at a great cost, but it would seem that we would have paid it regardless of Toral's disappearance.  Something is out in that swamp stealing the souls of men.  At the very least you have brought it to our attention and we will be better prepared in the future."

"For now, however, let's take every victory we can get.  Johnson even found Norah's ale stash.  As he won't be needing it any more, we'll use it to celebrate.  Come, let me make a toast to our honored guests."

The stew is quite good, and the ale doesn't hurt your spirits, but you find it isn't long before the call of the barracks becomes too great to ignore.  Everyone will be leaving for Norbal in the morning, where the guardsmen will leave you and return Toral to Argos.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 08:22:34 PM »
Caerus sits on the floor of the mess hall and leans with his back against the wall.  He finishes his second helping of the stew and extends his feet toward the hearth.  Setting his plate aside, he closes his eyes and folds his arms.
He had every intention of sleeping in a bed, but with his stomach satisfied, he nods off to the warmth of the fire.

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 01:02:40 AM »
Warm food and good ale serve to bring the evening to a close with good spirits and laughter.  Sleep comes swiftly and with a powerful grip.  Those who rise early are greeted with a sunrise.  A brief respite in the stormy weather brings the first glimpse of direct sunlight in days.  It rises slowly, brightening the dull blue of the evening to a bright crimson color before the clouds once again engulf it.

One by one the travelers board the cart for the last leg of their journey to Norbal.  The short ride is quiet and uneventful.  Even the rain has decided to hold back, though the clouds threaten to burst at any moment.  The cart comes to a stop in a forest clearing that buts up against the mountain.  Carved into the rock is an oddly-shaped archway.  The shape of the opening is six-sided, like a squat, inverted coffin.  Affixed to the archway is all manner of restraints: manacles, chains, hooks, and spikes.  The restraints, like the archway that holds them, are covered in a thick layer of dried blood.  Hand prints and claw marks mar the evenness of the coat, but this place has known violence, and lately.

The guards are visibly shaken by the sight.  A few of them, who have obviously been here to witness before, hide their horror behind their helmets rather well.  There are no doors remaining.  It appears that they were burst open from the inside quite a long time ago, as the layer of blood coats their remains just outside the archway.  Seeing the entrance is akin to the feeling of being exposed in public.  There is nothing holding back whatever monsters lay in wait beyond this arch.

As if reading your mind, Smith says, "We've tried to post guards, but they began to disappear with great frequency.  We found it was best to leave well enough alone."

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 04:30:52 PM »
Caerus hops off the cart and stares into the open passage.  It reminds him of some sort of demonic mouth with its rows and rows of metallic teeth; the kind you might describe to a small child to scare them.

Clearly the monster has recently fed.  Let's hope it's satisfied.

He gulps and turns back to the cart, letting out a quiet, morbid laugh.

"So, who's first?"

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 01:53:22 AM »
Caerus hops off the cart and stares into the open passage.  It reminds him of some sort of demonic mouth with its rows and rows of metallic teeth; the kind you might describe to a small child to scare them.

Clearly the monster has recently fed.  Let's hope it's satisfied.

He gulps and turns back to the cart, letting out a quiet, morbid laugh.

"So, who's first?"

Looking about the entrance, Korgan ponders to himself. 

What in the Nine Hells is he thinking coming to a place like this?!  What does he hope to prove??  We're outcasts of the family and there's nothing that'll ever change that.  Not our fault that the call to serve never touched our hearts.  No use trying to prove anything to those thick-headed, arrogant, self righteous "knights".  He just should've accepted that fact and enjoyed the humiliated looks on their faces when we defeated them in their petty challenges of honor.  Now I have to come into this crazed dungeon to find you and hope that you're still alive.

"I'm sure the gnome would be thrilled to lead us into this place," says Korgan in a flat matter-of-fact tone.  With a look of grim determination, he straps on his shield and carries his axe in hand, ready for the trek into the chaos dungeon.
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 10:35:36 AM »
Looking about the entrance, Korgan ponders to himself. 

What in the Nine Hells is he thinking coming to a place like this?!  What does he hope to prove??  We're outcasts of the family and there's nothing that'll ever change that.  Not our fault that the call to serve never touched our hearts.  No use trying to prove anything to those thick-headed, arrogant, self righteous "knights".  He just should've accepted that fact and enjoyed the humiliated looks on their faces when we defeated them in their petty challenges of honor.  Now I have to come into this crazed dungeon to find you and hope that you're still alive.

"I'm sure the gnome would be thrilled to lead us into this place," says Korgan in a flat matter-of-fact tone.  With a look of grim determination, he straps on his shield and carries his axe in hand, ready for the trek into the chaos dungeon.

Following Korgan’s lead,  Caerus  removes his bow from his shoulder and clutches it in his left hand.

“After you, Nelio.”

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 12:10:03 PM »
Hearing mention of his name, Nelio tries to move his way toward the front of the small crowd that has gathered in front of the archway. Being the first on the cart ends up making him the last off, so it takes him a bit to make his way through the group. Arriving at the gate, Nelio says a small prayer at the grotesque sight.  He then turns around to address the group.

“Thank you very much Captain Smith and fellow guardsmen for guiding us safely to Norbal. We must now sadly part ways as our duties now diverge. I will be heading into the dungeon to vanquish the evil within. I welcome those brave enough to join me in this noble task. Follow behind me as I lead the way.”

Nelio then turns back around, digs a torch out of his rucksack and lights it. Motioning toward the entrance with the torch, he begins a slow march forward into the darkness within.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 12:39:11 AM »
The party follows Nelio down the steep stone stairs.  The air is cool and damp.  Nelio counts exactly 200 steps to the bottom.  At the landing, there is a small alcove with a statue.  Two paths stand before you: one that continues straight ahead the direction the stairs have gone, and one to the right.  Both passages are 10-feet-wide and appear to be clear of contents.  There are sconces along the walls, but no torches inside them.  The two pasages extend beyond the range of your torchlight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 12:22:59 PM »
Curious, Caerus examines the statue and the alcove it sits in.

"Why would anyone bother to place a piece of art in a place like this?"

He speaks to no one in particular.  In fact, the outside observer might think that he is talking directly to the sculpture.  Caerus carefully goes over the statue and the alcove, looking for anything concealed within.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 01:09:23 PM »
Nelio stops at the intersection and turns to the party, whispering:
"The passageways are wide enough for us to walk two abreast. Everyone will partner up. Flip, come up to the front and follow alongside me. Flap, you and the human take up the rear guard. Caerus and Korgan, you take the middle. Protect each other at all cost."

After allowing time for Caerus to study the statue, Nelio points his torch down toward the right passage. "We'll start this way."

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 12:43:02 AM »
As Caerus inspects the statue, it occurs to him that this is a dedication.  Elves in the first age commonly dedicated the more important defensive positions to the warrior in charge of defending the area.  In this case, the warrior's name was Ecthendir.  The dedication is terribly worn with age, but Caerus can make out that he was a famous hunter whose bow skills were unmatched in his time.

The passage to the right continues for more than a hundred paces before arriving at a corner and turning left.  Along the way, those of you aware of such things notice that the craftsmanship of the tunnels is superb, and constantly changing.  One minute you see a Dwarven influence in the design, the next it appears Elven.  Peering around the corner, you can see the passage continues for a short stretch before a t-intersection heads left again and straight ahead.  The straight passage beyond the t-intersection turns right at the end of your torchlight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 12:55:10 AM »
Oh, right.  This was an outpost before it became the tenth hell.  I should've known the statue was older.  Mother would be quite disappointed.

Caerus, largely oblivious to the architecture, looks around slyly to make sure no one caught him in his error.  Satisfied that nobody cares enough to comment he turns his attention to the path in front of him.  With each step, he grows more wary and grips his bow a little tighter.

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 02:32:50 AM »
As Caerus inspects the statue, it occurs to him that this is a dedication.  Elves in the first age commonly dedicated the more important defensive positions to the warrior in charge of defending the area.  In this case, the warrior's name was Ecthendir.  The dedication is terribly worn with age, but Caerus can make out that he was a famous hunter whose bow skills were unmatched in his time.

The passage to the right continues for more than a hundred paces before arriving at a corner and turning left.  Along the way, those of you aware of such things notice that the craftsmanship of the tunnels is superb, and constantly changing.  One minute you see a Dwarven influence in the design, the next it appears Elven.  Peering around the corner, you can see the passage continues for a short stretch before a t-intersection heads left again and straight ahead.  The straight passage beyond the t-intersection turns right at the end of your torchlight.

(click to show/hide)

Strange that Dwarven and Elven craftsmanship would be mixed.  I've not seen that done before.
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 11:56:34 AM »
Strange that Dwarven and Elven craftsmanship would be mixed.  I've not seen that done before.

It's not that they're mixed.  There doesn't appear to be any design behind the structure.  Not only are there multiple racial motifs, but there are also empty cabinets, odd-looking protrusions, and short passages that lead nowhere.  Its almost as if someone took bits and pieces of other structures and cobbled them together here with no rhyme or reason as to placement.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 01:06:05 AM »
Not paying much attention to the disjointed nature of wall embellishments, Flip and Nelio make their way to the T-intersection. Nelio slowly inches over to the passageway on the left and peers around the corner.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 12:47:54 PM »
The left passage continues straight to the limit of your torchlight.  As Nelio arrives at this conclusion, the noise level in the area increases tenfold.  Most of you instinctively cover your ears from the sudden onrush of sound.  It sounds as if everything you do is somehow amplified to a large degree and simple soft sounds like arrows rattling in quivers are easily heard by everyone within earshot.  After a few moments of this, the noise levels return to normal, though normal now sounds deathly quiet by comparison.

The two Halflings appear to have received the worst of the sound increase.  Both dropped what they were carrying to cover their ears, and both shout loudly in unison: "There are snakes coming!"  As they say this, four slithering shapes appear out of the cover of darkness from the left passage.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 12:54:13 AM »
As the rest of the party begins to understand what is happening, the leading snake lunges at Flip, striking out with venomous fangs.  Fortunately, the padding of Flip's boot proves it is up to the task of preventing the attack.

(click to show/hide)