Author Topic: Patch/Update Logs  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Childe

• Honorary Mod
  • Even forever must end, I think. ...
    • View Profile
    • Legend RPG, Rule of Cool Gaming
Patch/Update Logs
« on: November 23, 2011, 12:38:11 PM »
PATCH 1.1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Patch notes (Classes):
  • Gave the Barbarian a substantial boost: provided Greater Rage at 5th-level, increased damage reduction to 2/-- (from 1/--), increased trap sense to +3 (from +1).
       The Barbarian was the first class I converted for T5. As the class conversions went on, I started to give the classes more and more to power them up; not only did I want them to be able to keep up (at least moderately well) with spellcasters (up to level 5, of course), but I also wanted them to be exciting or feel powerful. The Barbarian at first pass was hardly improved at all. This second revision gives it some real staying power in combat through Greater Rage, providing incentive to stay with the class for the last level. The Barbarian is an example of a class that, while having only one real central mechanic – rage to do more damage –, has a lot of concentrated power in that focus and can build outward through feats, alternative class features, or other means to add variety or more power.
       … And, yes, I apologize for the Healer and a few others.
  • Added 11 new classes from Dragon Compendium Vol 1, Dragon Magazine #336, and Warcraft: the Roleplaying Game (73 total classes): the Battle Dancer, Death Master, Healer (WC), Jester, Mountebank, Mystic Ranger*, Savant, Scout (WC), Sha'ir, Tinkerer, and Urban Druid.
  • Foreseeable issues (welcome feedback for solutions or supporting or contrary opinions):
    • The Mountebank's “Alter Self” ability has been removed as a precautionary measure, stripping the class of some of its value. Nerfing Alter Self itself would allow it to be added to the class again to add a bit more vaiety.
    • The Death Master has two dead levels. These may be replaced with minor immunities taken from its normal level-15 feature.
    • The Sha'ir has two dead levels. None of the leftover abilities are suitable for levels 1-5 as they replicate spells of level 4 and higher.
*While the Mystic Ranger is a variant ranger, it is not a matter of alternative class features or substitution levels. The two classes are mutually exclusive of one another. As such, they have been converted separately, though any options for the Ranger are available for the Mystic Ranger unless their ability differences would preclude the Mystic Ranger from taking those options. At a future point I will subdivide the classes section with "variant" classes grouped by their parent classes.
  • Revised the spell lists section to include exception for the Mystic Ranger to gain access to 2nd- and 3rd-level Ranger spells.
See the updated class information here: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1386.0

Patch Notes (Rules):
  • Anti-feats are banned. They are largely imbalanced (in many cases moreso than flaws), and when decided non-randomly (such as in private character-building) can be far too abusive.
See the updated rules revisions here: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1385.0

Next Patch Previews:
  • The 5 Core NPC classes – Adept, Aristocrat, Commoner, Expert, Warrior – and the Magewright (total classes 79: 73 PC base classes; 6 NPC base classes). I won't deny a few of the Dragonlance classes seem a bit like NPCs to me too (I'm looking at you, Mariner and Master).
  • HP values for characters – PCs and NPCs, with some interesting twists!
  • Dragonspawn (especially white and abomination) get addressed.
  • Class revisions based on testing and feedback.
    • What do people think of merging the two Healer classes – all the features of both (as they appear in T5), combined spell list, full spell list known, the better casting progression of the two (Miniatures)? Notably the WC Healer has some offensive capabilities (okay, not great ones, but at least it has them; unicorn companion doesn't count); and the spontaneous conversion is at least something for the Healer. I'd probably distribute it like this: Healing/Evil Touch at level 1, Brew Potion at level 2, spontaneous conversion at level 3, and the bonus feat at level 4.
    • I may list the Scout (WC) as an NPC class. While it's certainly far more useful than some NPC classes as they exist in 3.5, its total focus is on a non-combat element of gameplay; while combat should not be the only solution, it is perhaps the most tangible. The class's full base attack bonus does not make it competitive with even such mundane options as the Fighter when comparing the plethora of bonus feats the Fighter acquires to the Scout's narrow specialization in tracking, healing, and generally performing 'survival' skills.
    • For the Jester, I omitted the Calming Performance ability in the progression of perform uses. Maybe I'm over-valuing it, but it seemed that turning any creature you had fascinated to Friendly, especially without specification that the effect breaks when the creature is attacked or the fascination otherwise ends, was a bit like a rather potent save-or-lose.
  • Other requests?
"You had a tough day at the office. So you come home, make
yourself some dinner, smother your kids, pop in a movie, maybe
have a drink. It's fun, right? Wrong. Don't smother your kids."
- The More You Know