Author Topic: Invisible Blade + Master Thrower  (Read 8517 times)

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
  • Chara did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
    • Kristof Imperator YouTube Channel
Invisible Blade + Master Thrower
« on: November 15, 2011, 07:19:22 PM »
I've read that those two PrCs were supposed to be one. I assume that it would then be 10 levels long.
But let us assume that it's not 10 levels long. IB and MT are one, 5 levels long PrC, will all class features and all requirements from both.
Is it overpowered? Too front-loaded?
Magic is for weaklings.

Alucard: "*snif snif* Huh? Suddenly it reeks of hypocrisy in here. Oh, if it isn't the Catholic Church. And what's this? No little Timmy glued to your crotch. Progress!"
My YT channel - LoL gameplay

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Invisible Blade + Master Thrower
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 11:04:35 PM »
No and no.

I'd just as soon ditch the IB half completely though, MT is a pretty cool class slightly hindered by the weapon focus requirement to use its tricks (Warblade's weapon aptitude helps, but you still can't use a variety of weapons the same day).  IB just...sucks. 

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 09:18:46 AM »
I'd like IB more if the feint were modified to be either:

Swift action, make one check for all attacks that round, or

As the original, pre-errata version, with a limit of one feint attempt per attack.

The errata killed that class... right in the face.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 02:38:54 PM »
Definitely, but I played it before the eratta (or before our group knew of the eratta, perhaps) and still found it made of suck and fail and ditched out after 3 levels for Master Thrower, and ended up a much better character for it, even though I wanted to melee and considered the throwing thing something "to open up combat with" or "plan B."

Feinting sucks in 3E, and IB is basically just full of traps ("Hey, if you fight without armor, you can get your int to AC!  Up to +1 per class level, max 5....  But still, that's like...your 3rd or 4th highest stat!  Pretty sweet!")

Offline JaronK

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 04:48:28 PM »
Note that the Surprising Reposte feat makes it work like Robby wants.  It's still not exactly spectacular, but it at least works.

JaronK

Offline Shadowhunter

• E6/E8 fanboy.
    • View Profile
    • The additional vestige collection for all you Binder players out there.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 04:29:34 PM »
http://web.archive.org/web/20080416112623/forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-139190

Quote from: Sonofapreacherman
I just posted this explanation in another thread, but I thought it might be better served here, as per the title of this thread.

The 5-level invisible blade that first appeared in Dragon (and then recently in The Complete Warrior) was edited down from my original 10-level progression. The abilities and text are the same, but there were some additional dagger throwing abilities built into the prestige class (to round it out).

The editors at Dragon had asked me to change the invisible blade prerequisites to reflect their ranged-based abilities, but when they later changed the invisible blade into a 5-level prestige class (and removed the dagger throwing abilities), they likely forgot to change the prerequisites as well.

To use the printed version of the invisible blade as is, simply change the prerequisites feats to:

Weapon Focus (dagger, kukri, or punching dagger) and Weapon Finesse.

I hope that helps.

I suspect there are some kind DMs who will look at your feinting abilities and your Combat Expertise and tell you you can pick up Surprising Riposte without the Improved Feint requirement. At least I would.

As for your original question:
No and no. Just make a PrC called "Daggermaster" and be done with it :)

Offline X-Codes

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • White, Fuzzy, Sniper Rifle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 07:17:08 PM »
Note that the Surprising Reposte feat makes it work like Robby wants.  It's still not exactly spectacular, but it at least works.

JaronK
I love WotC's solutions to their fuckups that adversely impact non-magicals.  "Oops, we made something suck, let's add a feat tax to give them an ability they should have had all along!"