Author Topic: General Q&A/Discussion Thread  (Read 4008 times)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Honorary Mod
  • Banned
    • View Profile
General Q&A/Discussion Thread
« on: March 15, 2018, 03:05:36 PM »
This thread is for discussion on the rest of my homebrew.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: General Q&A/Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 10:46:22 PM »
Magicka Mage Feedback

Shield Element says that "This effect lasts for ten minutes or until the mage snap casts another Magicka that involves usage of shield element."  So it lasts for ten minutes as long as you don't do any snap casting (such as using an actual Magicka for example)?  That's why I suggested the change to say that it lasts for ten minutes or until the mage uses the summoned elements for Magicka.

The element/area table doesn't have arcane or healing on it, they should be added since the only reason for a table is for quick reference.

Minor typos: Snap Casting Magicka second paragraph starts with "or" instead of "for".  Arcane/Healing elements says undead "as" still damaged instead of undead "are" still damaged (this one is my fault).

Edit by SorO - First day having a modify button next to your post and sure enough I hit it instead of quote. :(

Offline SorO_Lost

• Honorary Mod
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 10:40:22 AM »
Shield Element says that "This effect lasts for ten minutes or until the mage snap casts another Magicka that involves usage of shield element."  So it lasts for ten minutes as long as you don't do any snap casting (such as using an actual Magicka for example)?  That's why I suggested the change to say that it lasts for ten minutes or until the mage uses the summoned elements for Magicka.
Yeah I noticed how you changed it in the PM but the deal with the shield element is you cannot stack them. In example, spamming it every single round outside of combat to start combat with a tons of buffs. Instead you only get one effect and that's accomplished by removing the last one when you create a new effect.

This also intentionally written to wipe any defensive buff granted via snap-casting if you cast anything using the Shield element (but not inversely). So for example, I could make a nuke-style Magicka using Firex4+Shieldx1 and make it slightly more powerful than another option since the act of casting it will remove your Resistance to Fire 20 or DR 8/adamantine or similar effect.

I thought about totally not allowing you to combine them at all but when I got to Levitate I didn't want the Magicka it's self to grant you immunity to liquids since you'd just cast that and argue fogs are tiny droplets of water or something, so I had to include the ability to rebuff Resistance to Fire if you decided to run across lava. So right now the buff removal only works one way, casting anything wipes a snap-casted Shield-based buff. Depending on finalization I may simply change how Levitate works through and wipe anything anyway for simplicity.

Fixed the table and the typos through.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 11:38:34 AM »
The way it is written now you keep the shield bonus even if you expend the shield element, just as long as you don't summon a new one.  That is what is weird to me.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 08:12:24 PM »
Ragna-Mail Pilot Feeback

Why aren't the heritage ability score bonuses balanced between each other?

A bonus feat is almost always going to be better than a couple of cantrips, even with the discipline restriction.

Does this require referencing the D20 Future book?  It looks like it but I've never looked at the mecha rules so I don't know.  I didn't even remember that it had rules on them.  Yep, yep it does.  Just FYI I'd count that as an obscure book when expecting people to legally own it, and having to reference what is definitely a book from another system means that I wouldn't expect many people outside of you/your group to use the class..

Song - Blue - What counts as a regional shift?

I'm somewhat confused about what's going on so I'm going to stop with the class features.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Honorary Mod
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 03:21:37 PM »

1. Why aren't the heritage ability score bonuses balanced between each other?
They kind of are in a slightly complicated larger-picture sort of way. With the content being pretty ranged focus a Dex bonus would have been a prime pick. But Str/Cha are secondary scores that provide a little help with melee/maneuvers while Int/Wis are dump stats. So they were adjusted to +3 to make them more appealing and then Chaos refused to conform (because skill points are even less useful than will saves). I didn't really want the Feat to carry the weight of poor ability bonuses.

2. A bonus feat is almost always going to be better than a couple of cantrips, even with the discipline restriction.
Is it? Well, I suppose it's kind of a specific example but if you were a Warblade would you trade a bonus Feat to access Devoted Spirit?

3. Does this require referencing the D20 Future book?
Nope. It's technically modified Modern content, everything you need to know is in the chain of posts. Mech & Tech got a grammar update thanks to someone else but if you'll recall even Magitech said "This works similar to mecha as presented in d20 Modern's Future supplement with a few minor changes." & "[And unlike d20's normal mecha, it has an infinite number of equipment slots but cannot be equipped or modified by anything other mean than what is granted through this class." because I feel the connections are helpful if you happen to know them, not because it's necessary.

4. Song - Blue - What counts as a regional shift?
Ooop, meant Planar.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 06:28:27 PM »
Given that it's pretty easy to replace stats with other stats I don't really agree with that analysis.

I'd trade a bonus feat to access Devoted Spirit if I was going to be the main source of in combat healing to stop TPKs (which is all dependent on what other homebrew is used really).  Devoted Spirit is probably the best non-homebrew discipline worth trading out the bonus feat for.  It's fine as is, I just wanted you to be aware of my opinion.  I'm sure there's some sort of abuse out there that is made possible by having SLAs.

Your talking about equipment slots and whatnot is what lost me.  That was the only reference to them and I had no idea how important that information was.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Honorary Mod
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 07:01:52 PM »
Ability Scores: *Shrugs* It pretty much boils down to larger bonuses for dump stats.
Feat: Cantrips? Probably not. It has a CL based on Class-Level which opens more than anything, but it's not Arcane or Divine so for example it can't enter Mindbender without multiclassing for five levels anyway.
Equipment: The main takeaway of that sentence is "but cannot be equipped or modified by any means other than what is granted through this class." because it is fully intended not to benefit from trying to cast things like Magic Weapon or Shrink Item. Does it need reworded?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 08:08:07 PM »
As the author of the X stat to Y bonus guide, a stat is only a dump stat if you want it to be.  :P

Expect the larger bonuses to get abused.

As for the equipment, unsure. I'll have to look at the rest of it.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 08:37:29 AM »
Soro, do not edit other people's posts.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Honorary Mod
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 09:18:34 AM »
I don't, well not in a bad way.

What I did do was hit modify instead of quote so I ended posting my post in his. I simply pulled an older page, and restored it as it were. You can ask Nan him self on the accuracy.

It's not the first time either. I tend to open a dozen tabs with modify and sometimes I wipe my own stuff and panic. I probably need to figure out a better way to manage my tabs at some point.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Honorary Mod
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 09:38:47 AM »
As the author of the X stat to Y bonus guide, a stat is only a dump stat if you want it to be.  :P
As the guy that memorized half that list and abused it, then went on to say MAD is a bonus, I get that. :)

Quote from: Nanshork link=topic=18374.msg337339#msg337339 date=1539043687As for the equipment, unsure. I'll have to look at the rest of it.[/quote
Mostly they just get some SUs and the PL9's. Those SUs I suspect will be the hard part through since I'm trying to avoid being too wordy.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 03:58:49 PM »
In that case, do you even need to reference the D20 Modern mech rules since everything relevant is already in the post?

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 08:54:14 AM »
I don't, well not in a bad way.

What I did do was hit modify instead of quote so I ended posting my post in his. I simply pulled an older page, and restored it as it were. You can ask Nan him self on the accuracy.

It's not the first time either. I tend to open a dozen tabs with modify and sometimes I wipe my own stuff and panic. I probably need to figure out a better way to manage my tabs at some point.

I get it. I've done the same thing, too.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Honorary Mod
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 10:33:16 AM »
In that case, do you even need to reference the D20 Modern mech rules since everything relevant is already in the post?
I feel like I didn't ask you to do the first Class, give me a few days to revise the header since if you're confused someone else could be too.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2018, 01:43:28 PM »
The only other class of yours that you've asked me to review was the Magicka Mage. I haven't looked at any of the rest of your stuff.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 08:15:03 PM »
The first post makes a lot more sense now.  You're using the same terminology in some places as D20 Modern but not actually referencing that book for anything.