Author Topic: Oberoni (Rule 0) Fallacy  (Read 1134 times)

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Honorary Mod
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
Oberoni (Rule 0) Fallacy
« on: March 22, 2018, 01:55:09 PM »
Originally posted by Oberoni on the (now dead, WotC) D&D general board July 23, 2002:

This my my take on the issue
Let’s say Bob the board member makes the assertion:

-“There is an inconsistency/loophole/mechanics issue with Rule X.”Several correct replies can be given:
-“I agree, there is an inconsistency/loophole/mechanics issue with Rule X.”
-“I agree, and it is easily solvable by changing the following part of Rule X.”
-“I disagree, you’ve merely misinterpreted part of Rule X. If you reread this part of Rule X, you will see there is no inconsistency/loophole/mechanics issue.”

Okay, I hope you’re with me so far.
There is, however, an incorrect reply:

-“There is no inconsistency/loophole/mechanics issue with Rule X, because you can always Rule 0 the inconsistency/loophole/mechanics issue.“

Now, this incorrect reply does not in truth agree with or dispute the original statement in any way, shape, or form.

It actually contradicts itself–the first part of the statement says there is no problem, while the last part proposes a generic fix to the “non-problem.”
It doesn’t follow the rules of debate and discussion, and thus should never be used.
Simple enough.

So for clarity the summary statement is:

It is a fallacy to state that: “There is no inconsistency/loophole/mechanics issue with Rule X, because you can always Rule 0 the inconsistency/loophole/mechanics issue.“