Author Topic: Bloodfire Transcendant [PrC]  (Read 6374 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Bloodfire Transcendant [PrC]
« on: December 02, 2011, 12:10:10 PM »
Bloodfire Transcendant

Requirements
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks
Special: Bloodfire class feature

HD: d8

Level   BAB   Fort   Ref   Will   Special
1+1+2+0+0Bloodfire, elemental companion (Medium)
2+2+3+0+0Bloodfusion 2/day
3+3+3+1+1Elemental companion (Large)
4+4+4+1+1Elemental infusion
5+5+4+1+1Elemental companion (Huge), improved bloodfire
6+6+5+2+2Bloodfusion 4/day (move)
7+7+5+2+2Elemental companion (greater)
8+8+6+2+2Dispel vulnerability, elemental infusion
9+9+6+3+3Elemental companion (elder)
10+10+7+3+3Bloodfusion 6/day, elemental transcendence

Class Skills (4+Int modifier per level): Balance, Climb, Craft, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (arcana), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Spot, and Tumble.

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: You gain no new proficiency with weapons or armor.

Bloodfire (Su): You add your Bloodfire Transcendant class levels to your levels in the class that grants you the Bloodfire ability for determining the die size, number of damage dice, and DC.

Elemental Companion: At 1st level, you call a Medium bloodfire elemental to become your companion.  It gains abilities based on your class level, as described below.  Your elemental companion also grows in size as you increase in level, becoming Large at 3rd level, and Huge at 5th.  At 7th level, the companion becomes a greater elemental, and at 9th it becomes an elder elemental.
   If the elemental companion dies, you take hit point damage equal to the elemental’s Hit Dice, as well as 1d4 points of damage to each ability score.  You can summon a new bloodfire elemental 24 hours later; you can dismiss your elemental at any time without taking this damage, but you must still wait 24 hours before summoning another elemental.

Bloodfusion (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, you learn to fuse your bloodfire elemental companion into your own body, becoming one creature.  Your skin bursts into incandescent purple-white flames (which do not damage you or your equipment), and your arms form wings of the same substance.  You gain bonuses based on the size and strength of your companion, as described below.  The bloodfusion lasts for 1 minute per class level; you can use this ability twice per day at 2nd level, four times per day at 6th level, and 6 times per day at 10th level.  Activating this ability is a standard action which does not provoke attacks of opportunity; at 6th level, you may instead activate this ability as a move action.

Elemental Infusion:  At 4th level, you have fused with your companion often enough that your physical body has begun to change.  You become immune to sleep effects, and you have a 25% chance of negating critical hits and sneak attacks.
   At 8th level, the changes to your body and mind increase. You become immune to poison and paralysis, and your chance to negate critical hits and sneak attacks increases to 75%.

Improved bloodfire: The DC of the Fortitude save for half damage increases to 10 + 3/4 your effective class level (rounded down) + your Constitution modifier.

Dispel vulnerability: As you become more and more like your bloodfire companion, the arcane energies in your veins take on a greater role in sustaining your life. At 8th level, you become partially vulnerable to dispel effects.  Any spell, power, or supernatural ability that would attempt to dispel were you a magical effect does 1d4 damage per two caster levels, subject to the same limit as the source of the dispel (for example, a dispel magic spell deals a maximum of 5d4 damage with a caster level of 10). You may make a Fort save to halve the damage. Effects that do not require a dispel check to dispel a spell deal 1d4 damage per 2 caster levels (no maximum) and do not allow a saving throw for reduced damage.

Elemental transcendance: When you reach 10th level, the changes wrought on your body are complete.  Your type changes to elemental (native), and you can no longer be flanked, are not subject to critical hits, and are immune to stunning.

Elemental Companion
A bloodfire transcendant has a bloodfire elemental companion that starts at Medium size and grows larger as the bonded summoner’s level increases.

Class Level   Special
1st-4thDevotion, empathic link, improved evasion, share rituals
5th-8thSpell resistance
9th+Improved speed

Basics
Use the statistics for a bloodfire elemental of the appropriate size as found in the Ritual Monsters entry, but make the following changes:
  • Class Level -- The bloodfire transcendant's class level.
  • Devotion (Ex) -- An elemental companion’s devotion to the bloodfire transcendant is so complete that it gains a +4 morale bonus on Will saves against enchantment spells and effects.
  • Empathic Link (Su) -- The bloodfire transcendant has an empathic link with his elemental companion out to a distance of 1 mile. The bloodfire transcendant cannot see through the companion’s eyes, but they can communicate empathically. Note that even intelligent elementals see the world differently from humans, so misunderstandings are always possible.  Because of this empathic link, the bloodfire transcendant has the same connection to an item or place that his companion does.
  • Improved Evasion (Ex) -- When subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex save for half damage, an elemental companion takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw and half damage even if the saving throw fails.
  • Share Rituals -- At the bloodfire transcendant’s option, he may have any ritual affecting him (including bloodfused rituals)  also affect his elemental companion, as long as the companion is within 5 feet.  This does not apply to Zone rituals, or class features that replace the normal effect of a ritual.
  • Spell Resistance (Ex): If the bloodfire transcendant's class level is 5th or higher, an elemental companion gains spell resistance equal to 10 + the transcendant's class level.  This spell resistance does not apply to dispel magic or its derivatives, which affect the bloodfire elemental normally.
  • Improved Speed (Ex): When the bloodfire transcendant reaches 9th level, all of the elemental companion’s movement modes
    increase by 10 feet.

Bloodfusion
A bloodfire transcendant of 2nd level or higher can fuse with his elemental companion, becoming one creature.  You gain the following benefits:

Companion   
Size
Size
Increase   
Ability Score
Adjustments
Slam
Attacks   

Speed
Bonus
Hit Points   

Special
Medium1 category+2 Dex, +2 Con, -4 Int  1 (2d8)+10 ft, fly 30 ft (average)  20 --
Large2 categories+4 Dex, +4 Con, -4 Int  1 (4d8)+10 ft, fly 40 ft (average)  50Arcane disruption 5
Huge2 categories+6 Dex, +4 Con, -2 Int  2 (6d8)+20 ft, fly 50 ft (average)  80 Arcane disruption 10
Greater3 categories+8 Dex, +6 Con, -2 Int  2 (8d8)+20 ft, fly 60 ft (average)  120Arcane disruption 15
Elder3 categories+10 Dex, +6 Con, -2 Int  2 (10d8)+30 ft, fly 60 ft (average)  160Arcane disruption 20

• Elemental size -- the size and strength of the elemental companion.
  • Size increase -- How many size categories you increase when fused.  These size increases do not change your ability scores, but they do increase your natural armor, reach, and size modifiers to attack and armor class.  Your equipment changes size as well, as per the enlarge person spell.
  • Ability score adjustments -- Your ability scores change by the given amounts.  You do not gain an increase in hit points due to the Constitution increase, but other Constitution-based effects (such as your Fortitude save modifier or the DC for your bloodfire) do.  You do not lose skill points due to the temporary decrease in Intelligence.
  • Slam attacks -- You gain the designated number of slam natural attacks, which do the indicated bloodfire damage.  Your Strength modifier does not apply to damage, but you gain the benefit of the Weapon Finesse feat with your slam attacks if it would be beneficial to you.  Creatures damaged by your slam attacks are allowed a Fortitude save for half damage, as normal (at the usual DC for your bloodfire, including the increased Constitution from bloodfusion).
  • Speed -- Your base land speed increases by the indicated amount, and you gain a fly speed as shown on the table as well.  If you already have a fly speed from some other source, use whichever is better.
  • Bonus hit points -- Your hit point total increases by the indicated amount.  These are not temporary hit points, but an increase to your current and maximum hit point total; when the bloodfusion ends, you divide up all damage taken between yourself and your companion equally.  You do not leave the fusion with more hit points than you entered it with, unless you were damaged prior to the fusion and were subsequently healed while fused.
  • Arcane disruption (Su) -- As long as your companion is at least of large size, you gain the arcane disruption supernatural ability while fused.  Any creature who takes damage from your slam attack suffers a targeted greater dispel magic, with a caster level shown on the table.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 04:04:11 AM by sirpercival »
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Honorary Mod
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
Re: Prestige Class: Bloodfire Transcendant
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 08:34:30 AM »
How does this class change, with the changes you're making to Bloodfire Seeker?  At the very least, I would say that Improved Bloodfire should increase Bloodfire damage by "one step."  Although now what happens if you take 5 Bloodfire Seeker, then 10 Transcendant, then continue up Seeker?  You'd now have an overlapping step of "Improved Bloodfire" (actually, you would have had that either way...).

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 01:55:24 PM »
How does this class change, with the changes you're making to Bloodfire Seeker?  At the very least, I would say that Improved Bloodfire should increase Bloodfire damage by "one step."  Although now what happens if you take 5 Bloodfire Seeker, then 10 Transcendant, then continue up Seeker?  You'd now have an overlapping step of "Improved Bloodfire" (actually, you would have had that either way...).

Actually, it's much simpler now.  Since Bloodfire damage now includes intrinsic scaling, the stacking ability contains damage scaling in it.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 09:30:30 PM »
Is Bloodfire Transcendant going to change any more now that you updated Bloodfire Seeker?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 09:37:42 PM »
Is Bloodfire Transcendant going to change any more now that you updated Bloodfire Seeker?

Nope.  The Transcendant is about bloodfire, not rituals.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 05:22:51 PM »
Any particular reason this has 3/4 BAB when the class it is based off has full?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 05:50:59 PM »
Any particular reason this has 3/4 BAB when the class it is based off has full?

Because it'll rely on natural attacks, which care much less about BAB.  And, um.... because...?

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 06:02:50 AM »
Nothing stopping you using a weapon while fused.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 07:41:31 AM »
Yeah... I think I had a reason back when I wrote it, but I can't think of that reason now...

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
Elemental Infusion 2 is marked as Bloodfire Infusion 2 in the text. And I'm going to rewrite those abilities so like goes with like and no numerals are needed, mkay? How does it look? I'd also like to use the same wording for Bloodfire Elementals' Dispel Vulnerability. Actually, there are a quite a few abilities that could use tighter wording.

Elemental Infusion:  At 4th level, you have fused with your companion often enough that your physical body has begun to change.  You become immune to sleep effects, and you have a 25% chance of negating critical hits and sneak attacks.
   At 8th level, the changes to your body and mind increase. You become immune to poison and paralysis, and your chance to negate critical hits and sneak attacks increases to 75%.

Dispel Vulnerability: As you become more and more like your bloodfire companion, the arcane energies in your veins take on a greater role in sustaining your life. At 8th level, you become partially vulnerable to dispel effects.  Any spell, power, or supernatural ability that would attempt to dispel were you a magical effect does 1d4 damage per two caster levels, subject to the same limit as the source of the dispel (for example, a dispel magic spell deals a maximum of 5d4 damage with a caster level of 10). You may make a Fort save to halve the damage. Effects that do not require a dispel check to dispel a spell deal 1d4 damage per 2 caster levels (no maximum) and do not allow a saving throw for reduced damage.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 01:00:38 PM »
OK, updated.

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 01:20:20 PM »
I just notice how nasty Bloodfire Elementals are to each other. In addition to having huge damage dice, they also kill each other through Arcane Disruption.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 07:57:02 PM »
I just notice how nasty Bloodfire Elementals are to each other. In addition to having huge damage dice, they also kill each other through Arcane Disruption.

Hmmm... damn.  I never noticed that before.  Should I put in a clause saying that Arcane Disruption/Dispel Vulnerability don't interact?

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 09:10:51 PM »
That would only treat a symptom of their destructiveness.
Why do they have dispelling vulnerability and arcane disruption, again? Just trying to fix my head around the original reasoning.

(Oh, forgot about how they splash each other with bloodfire on each hit, too.)

Offline FireInTheSky

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 09:58:40 PM »
Why do they have dispelling vulnerability and arcane disruption, again? Just trying to fix my head around the original reasoning.

They're made of raw, unfiltered arcane energy.  Dispelling vulnerability since dispel magic gets rid of arcane energy, and arcane disruption because the raw energy messes with the rigid structures holding spell effects in place.

...or something like that.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 10:03:42 PM »

They're made of raw, unfiltered arcane energy.  Dispelling vulnerability since dispel magic gets rid of arcane energy, and arcane disruption because the raw energy messes with the rigid structures holding spell effects in place.

...or something like that.

Yes, that's pretty much verbatim the idea.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 03:03:10 PM »
Bloodfusion needs an initiating action.

EDIT:

Bloodfire (Su): You add half your Bloodfire Transcendant class levels to your levels in the class that grants you the Bloodfire ability for determining the die size, number of damage dice, and DC.

Why 1/2 CL?  I would think that this class is just as much about Bloodfire as Bloodfire Seeker, and I don't think that full Bloodfire progression is broken.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 08:43:23 AM by FireInTheSky »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 12:01:02 AM »
Bloodfusion needs an initiating action.

EDIT:

Bloodfire (Su): You add half your Bloodfire Transcendant class levels to your levels in the class that grants you the Bloodfire ability for determining the die size, number of damage dice, and DC.

Why 1/2 CL?  I would think that this class is just as much about Bloodfire as Bloodfire Seeker, and I don't think that full Bloodfire progression is broken.

Bump.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 09:10:19 AM »
Added an activation time, and increased Bloodfire to full progression.