Author Topic: [3.5] Dungeons and Darklords: A Ravenloft Adventure  (Read 3746 times)

Offline docmartin

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
[3.5] Dungeons and Darklords: A Ravenloft Adventure
« on: November 25, 2011, 03:30:14 PM »
Detectives and Darklords (A Ravenloft... ish.... Game).

Well, it looks like our old campaign finally hit a boiling point, what-with our Undead Wizard getting fed up with our game, going Tainted Scholar, and ripping the campaign asunder. (Granted, I gave him the idea, as this is his first time playing a spellcaster).

This wasn't done out of some undeserved malice on our part. We're all familiar with the setting, and had set up a gentleman's agreement not to use our setting knowledge to undermine the campaign (As only one character in the game was a denizen of the dread realm). In exchange, the DM would curb some of her more sadistic tendencies, and run Ravenloft in accordance to the campaign settings and 3.5 Rulebooks.

Needless to say, she didn't hold up her end of the bargain. We're all aware that Ravenloft is a campaign setting in which the DM has a lot more power to mess with the party. That's completely normal, and comes with the territory. However, when the Wizard's spellbook is stolen almost every night (regardless of protective wards, alarm spells, non-detection spells, and even while within a pocket dimension ala Mage's Sanctum, etc.), The Paladin having to have atonements cast upon him for defending himself against bandits (She said it was because they were trying to feed their families. I dunno, they could have probably sold the masterwork weapons and armor we found on them). The Druid's animal companion gaining the dread companion template even though it had come through the mists with him from Faerun, our Bard contracting every sort of disease and affliction regardless of being undead, and her obvious favoritism towards her fiance (who was playing an unoptimized Fighter/Barbarian who always complained about not being able to do anything, regardless of the fact that when we tried to get him to interact with NPCs, or the setting in general, he would do nothing), we had simply had enough of it.

I had spoken to our DM outside of the game before, in person, to try and address the concerns we were having with the game. On no less than three occasions, I tried to explain to her that the players were not having much fun at all. I pointed out that the encounters she presented us with were mostly sub-par to our CR and were proving to be poor challenges. I gave her some suggestions on how to increase the difficulty of such encounters (such as granting the bosses immunity to death effects, which our Wizard was fond of tossing about). I also suggested using enemies OTHER than undead and lycanthropes against us, as that is ALL we had been fighting (with the occasional humans thrown in). We all had equipment and spells prepared to dispatch any undead or lycanthropic creature thrown at us, but she simply didn't see that we were using the same tactics and same spells in every encounter.

I also told her that throwing about arbitrary rules that had nothing to do with the game was a social faux pas, considering we weren't playing at her house, but at my own. If I wanted to make dinner while we were playing, I would bloody well make dinner while we were playing. (This shouldn't have been a problem to begin with, as we play in the kitchen, so I'm not missing anything). Also, if two of the other players like to smoke a little pot before they play, then I say let them (They don't get stoned out of their minds, but it does loosen their tongues a bit and definitely encourages them to roleplay). As for the other rulings which we ignored entirely (scheduled bathroom breaks, only certain foods being served), it was simply too much to take. So we busted her campaign wide open so we could play my game. (We invited her to play with us in good faith, but she didn't even last a whole session, more on that later). Without further ado...

Detectives and Darklords

Post One........Introduction
Post Two..........Characters
Post Three.....Campaign Info
Post Four........Session One

Introduction

It is a time of great prosperity in the realm of Ravenloft.

The word "Darklord" has not been uttered in over two decades, nor has their presence been felt by the rapidly advancing, nigh-decadent civilization.

The technologies of Demeleuse have spread through-out the newly formed country of Ravenloft, ushering in a new era of technological enlightenment.

A side effect of this (or perhaps a direct result therein), magic has been slowly fading from the dread realm.

But to you, little of this matters. You were just a babe when the darkness had been burned away, and the disappearance of the heroes responsible, just mere myth.

Your life has been blessed, compared to those who came before you. You were raised within the halls of Mercy Given's Orphanage, making you among the luckiest youths in Ravenloft.

Many, if not all of the children who grew up there are some of the best in their chosen fields, from smithing to archery, you have always had the best of instruction and schooling. One man has supported you and nurtured you along your chosen path.

Walter Schleppington. The closest thing you have to a Father.

Murdered. In cold blood.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 06:16:36 PM by docmartin »

Offline docmartin

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5] Dungeons and Darklords: A Ravenloft Adventure
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 03:30:29 PM »
Reserved

Offline docmartin

• Lurker
  • I'm new!