Author Topic: Homebrew and House Rules  (Read 165625 times)

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
Homebrew and House Rules
« on: November 06, 2011, 09:01:51 PM »
Got a project so large that putting everything in a single thread is awkward? You too can have a sub-forum! Apart from that post any other pieces of moderation here that you desire, like seeing a thread stickied or moved to another section.

Note that requests for a single forum to put all your homebrew in will be denied - it has to constitute a single project. On the other hand, if you have multiple projects then you can have as many forums as you need. If you just want an easy way for people to find all your works in one place, then it's best to create an index thread and link to it in your sig (either here, in the D&D section, or wherever seems most appropriate for the kind of things you're linking).

When making a post, the "Please choose..." dropdown box provides a number of templates for writing homebrew faster.

dman11235 has some alternatives here.

Formatting tip: See those green arrows above the editor?
[float=left][/float] and [float=right][/float], wrapped around an image, give you text wrapping for neater works.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 07:39:00 PM by Prime32 »

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew and House Rules
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 11:56:10 PM »
Prime, good to see you! You've got a bit of brain there, though.

Anyway, I have two threads ready for sticky substances to be applied.

If you port things over, let me know so I can update the links on the off chance the old boards crash and explode again.
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 09:17:49 AM »
Consider them adhered. I've reposted most of my stuff already.

While you're here, Boz:
Hey, Prime32, it's bkdubs123. I'm not going to register an account at the new BG site, but can you tell Boz to update my homebrew in the 3.5 homebrew compendium over there? I'd especially appreciate an update for the following:

The Battlelord, The Dancer, Mundane Paladin Redux, PrC Rewrites, The Ranger, Revised Feats (PHB 1&2, Completes), Revised Feats Revisited, The Runelord, The Sagitteer, The Shadowcaster, The Stolid Sphinx, The Swordmage, TOB Disciplines as Tactical Feats, and, finally, A Whole Mess of Warrior Feats.
I'm sad too. :'(

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 04:23:09 PM »
Aww. Tell bk...Ziegander? Whoever. Tell him that we'll miss him and that if he ever wants me to add more of his stuff I'm more than happy to oblige.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 11:29:44 PM »
Hey, I've got a whole load of material to repost from the old boards. However, I don't want to flood these forums and wash out the new threads that are popping up. Any suggestions?

For reference, it's about 40 distinct threads-worth.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 11:44:43 PM by Garryl »

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 09:32:22 AM »
Hmm, if they can be arranged to constitute a project of related materials you can ask for a subforum and put the rest that don't fit into the main project into general circulation.

The class rewrites and new classes might be construed as one. Thoughts?
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 04:15:52 PM »
Garryl's Expanded Rewrites and Rewritten Expansions?

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

The first (and possibly second) set of stuff could go in a "rewrite" project, but that still leaves about 20 outside. Plus, I'd feel a bit disingenuous to have a rewrite project given that I'm not actually planning on doing a rewrite within the foreseeable future.

I might ask for a board in which to place my subsystems (Metroid as Incarnum, Psychic Imprinting, and hopefully Mecha eventually), but that's a ways off.

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
    • View Profile
    • The Spellshaping Codices (Homebrew Board)
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 05:55:24 PM »
So, here's my question.  My Spellshaping material currently takes up twenty-seven posts.  That's with the four base classes, eighteen feats, twelve circles (each of which contains twenty-one formulae), twelve prestige classes, and handful of magic items consolidated into one giant, unwieldy thread.  It's pretty bulky to look at--though that didn't stop people from going through it when it was first posted (because they're awesome).

The problem is that I'm about to push a second compilation of material in a week or several, with three races, two base classes, nine alternative class features, seventeen feats, three racial substitution packages, two circles (again, each of which contains twenty-one formulae), and ten prestige classes.

Anyway you slice it, that's going to be another...say...fifteen to twenty posts.

Now, I was planning to do another thread, in the same chain-of-posts format, but I had the thought that it might be a lot cleaner, easier to navigate, and more manageable to read if, say, every race, class, or circle had its own thread, with some things--say, feats and ACFs--in their own threads.  There would be two "master" threads, following the format of the two books, but they would link out to the other threads.  Feedback in each thread could focus on specifically that material, instead of having to try to absorb everything.

I can't decide whether I feel like the spellshapers really deserve a subforum, though.  Thing is, it's nothing really on the scale of the monster classes or Uncle Kitty's Ever-Expanding Compendium of Superlatively Described Materials.  The one advantage of a sub-forum would be that I wouldn't feel the need to create a new compilation every time I had an idea--I could just post it in there as a "Web Enhancement" analogue--but I don't know if it would receive enough traffic or use for it to be of subforum quality.

Does it seem worth the effort, or would I just be wasting space?
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 06:11:01 PM »
Maybe a subsystems subforum with sub-subforums for different subsystems?

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 06:26:27 PM »
...that's a lot of subs.  :o

It's definitely a strong solution if there are a good number of subsystems to fill the subforum.  I haven't noticed that many subsystems running around, but I might just be being blind again.

Edit: Eh, I think I'm going to go ahead and just request a subforum.  I quite like the concept of individual threads and specialized feedback, especially given how clean it makes everything.  Plus, I really like the idea of being able to write spellshaping stuff without having to always link back to a main thread.  I suppose the subforum would ideally be named "The Spellshaping Codices" or something similar.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 07:36:34 PM by DonQuixote »
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 08:38:09 PM »
Edit: Eh, I think I'm going to go ahead and just request a subforum.  I quite like the concept of individual threads and specialized feedback, especially given how clean it makes everything.  Plus, I really like the idea of being able to write spellshaping stuff without having to always link back to a main thread.  I suppose the subforum would ideally be named "The Spellshaping Codices" or something similar.
Done.

Maybe a subsystems subforum with sub-subforums for different subsystems?
I was thinking about putting all these in a "Projects" board to save space, like how the PbP boards are in Current Games.

As a side-note it's possible to create a board that's actually a link, like the BGs have for the podcast, if you've already posted your project somewhere else and don't want to keep track of two copies. Obviously putting it here is preferable though.

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 01:09:52 AM »
Many thanks for the subforum, Prime!  I promise that you may eat my delicious, succulent brain when I am done with it.

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Even forever must end, I think. ...
    • View Profile
    • Legend RPG, Rule of Cool Gaming
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 12:26:25 PM »
Hi, Prime. I'd like to request a sub-forum for a 3.5 overhaul/redesign I'm working on. It's inspired by the E6 hard-cap approach, with redesigned classes (which need tweaking, but are all done except the Courtier - worthless junk class) to make those levels a bit less limited (and boring). I've also rewritten/errata'd several other rules items to give the game better balance and consistency.

Can it be called "T5: After All, Gandalf Did It"?
"You had a tough day at the office. So you come home, make
yourself some dinner, smother your kids, pop in a movie, maybe
have a drink. It's fun, right? Wrong. Don't smother your kids."
- The More You Know

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 01:54:50 PM »
Do you have it posted anywhere else already?

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Even forever must end, I think. ...
    • View Profile
    • Legend RPG, Rule of Cool Gaming
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 07:49:48 PM »
No, should I? It seemed like it would let me keep it better organized if I waited until the subforum to post it, but I can post the threads if you'd rather.
"You had a tough day at the office. So you come home, make
yourself some dinner, smother your kids, pop in a movie, maybe
have a drink. It's fun, right? Wrong. Don't smother your kids."
- The More You Know

Offline EjoThims

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 08:05:44 PM »
Bringing my rewrite compilation over as we speak... Requesting a sticky for it.

And if you're moving the linked threads over, please post in it with ported links.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 08:10:30 PM »

And if you're moving the linked threads over, please post in it with ported links.
You might want to request a subforum for that if it's really big.

Offline EjoThims

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 08:12:50 PM »

You might want to request a subforum for that if it's really big.

Nah, that compilation is only a thread's worth... It's just for linking to all the Rewrites of standard material.

Now my Verold project... That I'll be needing a subforum for (again).

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 11:00:43 PM »
Prime, can you put this useful information somewhere? Either make a new sticky for it or put it in your first post of this thread, please. It's information for anyone who wants to quickly convert tables from GitP's format to the one used on these boards.

Random question: Would it be possible to provide links to GitP? And if not do you know of an easy way to convert the tables to the tables that work on these forums, given that's the main thing keeping me from crossposting my material?

Any GitP table can be converted to a MMB/BG table in 3 find/replace steps.
(click to show/hide)

Thanks, Garryl. Two things:

1) I can't figure out how to find and replace a linebreak. Google says putting ^l in the search box should do it, but does not seem to work. Any idea, or just do it manually?

2) What about {colspan=X}? Do I just replace that with the text wrapped in td, or do I need one td for each column?

Just copy and paste a line break from the text. That works in TextEdit on Mac, at least. It may not work in all editors.

I don't think these boards have an equivalent of {colspan}. If you just want empty space between columns, you'll need one td/td tag pair per column of padding.

Pre-Edit: There is no way to have a single cell in a table span multiple columns. Apparently the design of BBCode makes it very difficult to implement (something about brittle tests instead of proper traversals).

Edit: Apparently there is a mod called Tabular that has row/colspan functionality in its own, independent implementation of tables. Although, it doesn't appear to be perfectly compatible with the 2.0.x version of board code that these forums are running now.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=458765.0

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 02:16:48 PM »
Can I have a board, please? I'd like to put up Metroid as Incarnum there, and rather than waiting until everything's perfect, I'll put my revisions to it there as well as they go. I'll also (hopefully) be making Mechas there.

"Sufficiently Advanced Technology is Compatible with Magic" please.