Author Topic: Day Three - Fuyuki Shuffle  (Read 50641 times)

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
Re: Day Three - Fuyuki Shuffle
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2013, 11:26:16 AM »
Lancer just falls flat on the ground. This was not a good day.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2013, 02:44:20 PM »
"...It's fine." Laoise tries very hard not to sound miserable and fails. After a short time of wallowing in self-pity, she silently pushes herself up from the table and moves to distract herself with cooking. Something simple to make - she usually brings sandwiches to school for lunch anyway.

She presents Ren with a plate of sandwiches to pick from - cheese and pears (less sharp than she usually makes it, for the boy's benefit), taleggio cheese and grapes, salad and fried egg, banana and sweet fromage blanc, and mustard with jarlsberg cheese.
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2013, 04:00:37 PM »
Despite the simple food, Ren looks impressed by the wide variety of sandwiches on offer, and samples every single kind. Even in the case of the mustard and jarlsberg, he finishes the sandwich without complaint. His appetite seems to be in fairly good condition, but he leaves some of every sort of sandwich on the plate, occasionally looking over at Laoise as though waiting to see if she eats anything.
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2013, 05:55:53 PM »
Laoise quietly eats two of the sandwiches for herself - one with pears and one with mustard. It's about as much as she normally eats, and even with the blood loss, the events of the last hour or so have dampened her appetite.

After eating her fill, Laoise sighs. "Next, I'll try watching what else happens tonight from here. Um... There isn't really a lot to do here. Just books and plants..."

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2013, 06:08:28 PM »
"Oh, that's fine!" Ren smiles. "My parents own the bookstore, so I read a lot...Um, but is there anything I can maybe do to help you? I'm not really sure what's going on or what you're planning, but..." He trails off, hopefully.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2013, 05:26:42 PM »
Laoise finds it surprisingly hard to think of an explanation an eight-year old without any training in magecraft would understand. "Um... I'll animate some plants so they can move around the city... a little like animals, only I'll be able to see through them. That's also how I found out about the temple... I had one watching the stairs. It couldn't hurt to have help, though... If you want I can walk you through it."

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2013, 06:41:28 PM »
"Sure!" Ren nods, eagerly. "Hmm...if you put one on the stairs and no one saw it, they must be pretty sneaky...but what happens if someone sees one? Would they be able to find out it was you?"

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2013, 07:28:41 PM »
Laoise puts a finger to her chin pensively. "Well, it's easy to hide a plant between trees... Um. Not from just seeing the familiar, since it's just an animated plant... but the magecraft I use to see through them is more involved than usual since plants don't have eyes, so if you got a good look and had the skills, you'd probably be able to trace it to me... If I notice that someone saw it, though, I can just stop before they get a chance to analyze it. It's no substitute for a Servant like Assassin, but it's useful for gathering information and versatile. It's probably my best trick, since I'm not a very good magus..."

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2013, 07:56:15 PM »
"That makes sense..." Ren rests his head on his arms, watching Laoise attentively. "Where are you going to send them? ...Sorry, I'm asking too many questions, aren't I? I'll be quiet and let you work."

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2013, 09:31:28 AM »
Laoise gathers two large pots of earth and sets them down on the table, along with the map she annotated last night, spread out. "It's fine... one to the riverbank and the docks, since they'd be a good place to fight without anyone seeing... One to the other side of the river, around the park. One or two to the inner city. Caster and the one who sent those skull-masked familiars are probably there, I think." She retrieves the large salt shaker with spores she's been using and a bag of fern spores kept around outside the workshop and generously seeds each pot with both.

"Um... normally, I make familiars out of flowering plants. This time, I'm going to use fern instead. It's a plant that carries spores like a mushroom, not seeds, so I'll have them spread some special spores for another spell while they patrol the city."

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2013, 01:49:17 PM »
Ren's eyes flicker back and forth between plants as Laoise seeds them all with a liberal dose of spores. "Do you think anyone would go back to the temple to look around? If they were trying to learn about Caster, someone might go there too, unless they thought the wave would come back...I don't know how many plants you can make at once though." He reaches out curiously to touch one of the pots, before apparently thinking better of it and drawing his hand back.

The boy's hand flies to his pocket, and color floods his face. "Oh! I'm sorry, I forgot...When you came in earlier this was on the doormat, but you ran inside so quickly you didn't see it, and I picked it up to give to you later but then I forgot because of the food and then everything else and I'm sorry..." The last few words tumble out in a rush as he pulls a thick, cream-colored parchment envelope out of his pocket and hands it over to Laoise. The flap is held closed by a gaudy, scarlet wax seal in the shape of an E, and the front has no postage or return address. It's evidently intended for the "Master of Lancer," written in an overly elaborate cursive script in the same scarlet writing.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 01:58:41 PM by Bozwevial »

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2013, 04:14:56 PM »
"The pots are just normal clay pots, there's nothing..." Laoise's eyes widen a little at the envelope Ren produces, and she quickly takes it, looking it over from both sides and staring at the seal. There's not much question who it's from. "Einzbern..." She quickly cracks the seal and reads the contents.

Assuming it's not a trap, anyway.

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2013, 03:11:08 PM »
The envelope doesn't seem to be at all magical, apart from a cursory magical signature in the wax seal as proof of authenticity. There are ways of concealing prana bound into an object, but as far as Laoise can tell none of them were used here.

Inside the envelope is an embossed invitation, stamped with far too much gold foil, which reads:

All Masters and Servants of the Fifth Holy Grail War are hereby invited to a banquet in an evening's time as a temporary reprieve, courtesy of Florianus von Einzbern, Master of Berserker.

The location will be provided upon acceptance of the invitation and subsequent R.S.V.P., to forestall any attempted treachery on the part of either Master or Servant. Be forewarned that on the night of the banquet, all guests are under the protection of the Einzberns, and any attack made either at the banquet proper or while guests are arriving or departing will be considered an attack on the Einzberns as a whole, and no penalties will be levied against guests who retaliate in kind, lethally or otherwise.

Should you plan to attend, deliver your response to the Church official overseeing the War, Kotomine Kirei, by tonight at midnight, either in person or by familiar. Guests are strongly encouraged to wear formal attire.

Cordially yours,

Florianus von Einzbern, Magus and Master of Berserker.

The note doesn't at all match with what Laoise knows of the way Florianus talks, but the seal seems entirely genuine.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2013, 02:15:41 PM »
Laoise reads the letter over twice. On her third pass, she speaks up. "Say... do you think the Assassins could be well enough to watch over a place by tonight? Maybe tail somebody? No combat."

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2013, 08:26:04 PM »
Ren looks at Laoise with undisguised bewilderment. "Hmm? Um, let me check..." He shuts his eyes momentarily. "They could probably do that if they're not supposed to fight anyone. It'd be better if they had time to prepare, though...where did you want them to go?"

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2013, 09:52:44 AM »
Laoise puts the letter on the table. "Um... it's an invitation from Berserker's Master to a meeting of Masters. It would be dangerous to actually go, but if we can tail the people who accept or reject the invitation, we could gain all kinds of useful information. My plant familiars are good for that, but Assassin would be even better..."

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2013, 06:11:03 PM »
"I think they can follow other Masters if they don't get into a fight...Won't they be suspicious if we don't go though? If they don't see us they'll probably be looking for someone sneaky..." Ren picks up the invitation curiously, reading through it.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 22, 2013, 06:46:10 PM »
Laoise nods. "That's right... But to anyone who saw the fight at the temple, there can't be a doubt that my Servant is dead, and yours probably too. So I'd have a good excuse for refusing. There wasn't a letter at your place, though... since you're not a magus, it's possible the Einzberns don't even know about you."

Offline Bozwevial

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2013, 07:42:29 PM »
"That's true..." Ren says absently, still mulling over Florianus' card. "Okay...do you want me to send them to the church now? And then they can follow two people home?"

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2013, 07:18:59 PM »
"Yes..." Laoise thinks, putting a finger to her chin. "Ah, but they should stay clear of Archer... the man with a cowboy hat and mustache. He'll have the best senses of any Servant, so if anyone can spot them, it's him. Um... Lancer!" However much her Servant messed up today, there's no utility in keeping him out of the loop, and no point in pretending he's dead in front of Ren. Besides,s he still has to hear the full story about what happened in the basement.