Author Topic: Simple question  (Read 2094 times)

kelbpanthera

Simple question
« on: May 20, 2019, 12:46:46 AM »
Does anyone know of a device that can produce the effect of detect magic that is not single use, spell completion, or spell trigger? I'm our party's only caster and I'm a paladin for whom SotAO isn't an option.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
Re: Simple question
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 06:01:57 PM »
Cloak of the Hedge-Wizard
Lantern of Auras
Lenses of Situational Sight (Green)
Nose ring of unearthly scent

Or just use the magic item creation rules. An at-will item of a noncombat utility spell is entirely reasonable.

Offline Nanashi

• it means "he who has no name" in a foreign tongue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 11:02:50 PM »
The post mentioned Sword of the Arcane Order, so I assume 3.5 instead of PF. In that case the question is surprisingly hard. Only option I can find for Detect Magic or Arcane Sight that isn't a random power tacked onto something expensive (Thurible of Divining) is as a power option for intelligent magic items. There's the Insightful feat in Complete Arcane that gives it (+Read Magic and Detect Secret Doors) 1/day as a SLA. Alternately at high levels (11+) you can take Magic Sensitivity from Complete Magic to have it always on
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 11:10:04 PM by Nanashi »

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 11:47:04 PM »
Pocket Warlock
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Rolling a boulder up a hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 04:40:50 AM »
Just get UMD as a class skill for your Paladin. Wands of Detect Magic are trivially cheap and you'll be able to use so much more besides.

kelbpanthera

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 03:52:02 PM »
Almost had it with the pendant of mystic warning from SSoT but that requires arcane casting ability.

It is stunningly hard to solve this problem with gold without having to have special skills or paying out the nose.  I guess WotC thought giving it to nearly all casters as a 0 level was good enough.

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Rolling a boulder up a hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 06:23:15 PM »
At least UMD is a skill worth investing feats in. If you're going to be the party's sole spellcaster, adding the ability to use all kinds of wands, staves, and scrolls will make a welcome addition to the party's spellcasting potential. And UMD can get downright broken if you use it to wield or activate magic items that have specialized requirements. Afaict the main feats of choice to get UMD as a class skill appear to be Apprentice (Spellcaster, with another Paladin as mentor), Aereni Focus, and Cosmopolitan. If you have no better options Skill Knowledge will work too.

Alternatively you can prestige into Knight of the Weave if you want.

Offline magic9mushroom

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 04:51:15 AM »
The post mentioned Sword of the Arcane Order, so I assume 3.5 instead of PF. In that case the question is surprisingly hard. Only option I can find for Detect Magic or Arcane Sight that isn't a random power tacked onto something expensive (Thurible of Divining) is as a power option for intelligent magic items. There's the Insightful feat in Complete Arcane that gives it (+Read Magic and Detect Secret Doors) 1/day as a SLA. Alternately at high levels (11+) you can take Magic Sensitivity from Complete Magic to have it always on

Intelligent magic items are an amazingly-good investment for other reasons (i.e. breaking the action economy), so this would ordinarily be a perfect solution. There's just one snag - unless you're really going balls-deep on being able to buy anything, there's no way* to get an intelligent item with a specific special ability. Crafting intelligent items produces random abilities, so you can't reliably craft or commission it.

*There is actually one way - Item Familiar. However, it's variant rules and a notorious feat in general.