Author Topic: [Interest Check] 3.5. Warfare, leadership and world-saving  (Read 56615 times)

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
Re: [Interest Check] 3.5. Warfare, leadership and world-saving
« Reply #160 on: March 18, 2017, 04:17:47 PM »
I was having a similar idea: Maximize my cohorts (3-4 at 1 level behind me via Close Cohort and Extra Cohort (since close cohort doesn't refer to the cohort being gained from the leadership feat, it should improve the one from Undead Leadership properly, and might improve the one from extra cohort as well)), and have only the PC with cohorts and followers.

That removes the leadership chaining (wasn't too concerned, as they have good saves, but they can die), and limits the followers a bit, as I was planning on replacing extra Followers with Extra Cohort, if Extra Cohort is compatible with Close Cohort (haven't calc'd the lower followers yet). Eases the item strain on the Cohorts too, since I don't have to PsyRef them or give 'em Items to get them to Spirited Charge.
Apathy is ...ah screw it.
My Homebrew

Offline Vladeshi

• Feel free to ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2017, 11:10:55 PM »
Just a handful more questions and I should be about done with my characters and army.

Do mindless skeleton followers still have their NPC follower wealth in order to get their equipment?

Do followers and cohorts count as undead under my control for the purpose of the necromantic prowess and necromantic might feats?

Will we be expected to keep track of ammo for our ranged attacking followers?

Can anyone think of any good names for a creepy little girl and her bodyguard? :bigeyes
I already have one for the other cohort. This is always one of the hardest parts for me.
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2017, 11:45:18 PM »
Yes, no, only if the individual ammos are magical or cost more than 2 gold, and no. :)
[20:32] <DonQuixote> A POX UPON YOU ALL!
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, J, FOR STEALING THE PURITY OF NORNS.
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, DRAMMOR, FOR ENSNARING ME IN THIS FIENDISH PRISON.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2017, 12:04:38 AM »
Can anyone think of any good names for a creepy little girl and her bodyguard? :bigeyes
I already have one for the other cohort. This is always one of the hardest parts for me.

You mean like Bioshock's little sisters and big daddys?

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2017, 12:15:02 AM »
...Can anyone think of any good names for a creepy little girl and her bodyguard? :bigeyes...

If she's a little girl, give her a little girl name... it could enhance her creepiness a little. (Skyrim had Babette for example, Just have an innocuous name attached to your miniscule horror)

As for her bodyguard, what is it? Is it a family retainer, a soldier, a monster? Fluffy, or Mr. Wiggums if it's a monster, Sgt (Cpt, etc) Nostrum (or w/e) if it's a soldier, and Higgins or Gerard if it's a retainer.
My Homebrew

Offline Maelphaxerazz

• Respect: over 9000
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2017, 10:53:27 AM »
On Dvati: what happens when one Dvati twin dies and, while the other is still alive, a friendly druid casts Last Breath on the slain twin. Does the Dvati retain its twin connection if he or she becomes, say, a Changeling?

(I'm basically thinking of also being Dvati, but not exactly a Dvati. A +1 LA for a PC in two bodies)

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2017, 02:16:39 PM »
On Dvati: what happens when one Dvati twin dies and, while the other is still alive, a friendly druid casts Last Breath on the slain twin. Does the Dvati retain its twin connection if he or she becomes, say, a Changeling?

(I'm basically thinking of also being Dvati, but not exactly a Dvati. A +1 LA for a PC in two bodies)

That's one of those many uncovered situations that having one soul and mind in charge of two bodies spawns. I personally think the spell will fail since you wouldn't be working with a full soul, but I suppose it is open to interpretation.
I want to be born. To live. That is all I want. -Aura

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2017, 09:00:30 PM »

Uuuuuh. The dead one comes back to life, but unless the living one "agrees" to the spell, race doesn't change. If race does change, the two bodies fuse into one being.

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 20, 2017, 11:44:22 PM »
I like it Drammor; the body created is influenced by the soul of the attached twin. Keeps things neat (and since they have LA, it's not 'unbalanced' that they get a special dispensation for Reincarnation)

If I made some Cohorts into Paladins of Laughter//Blackguards, would the Fallen Paladins Section apply (...added goodies)? Additionally, could the Fiendish Companion ability be folded into the Special Mount ability? Ideally, swapping the Fiendish Template with the Necropolitan template (or similar).

For paladins, how does Detect [alignment] work? Just detects Clerics and outsiders as well as those with strong intentions? Would Aura of Evil change to just Aura? And would Smite [alignment] become just Smite? (The smites are per day, so not too powerful... though a Binder with Andras could get 1/5rds)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 12:07:38 AM by Chemus »
My Homebrew

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 21, 2017, 09:50:31 PM »
Yes, the fallen paladins section still applies. I don't see any problems with having a fiendish mount, if you're a blackguard; those abilities can easily be folded together.

Detect [alignment] is one of the things that suffers from there not being alignment. It could detect things with Aura and similar creatures, but that is it. On the other hand, Smite benefits, just as you described.

Offline Maelphaxerazz

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 21, 2017, 09:56:43 PM »
Notably, there are ACFs you can trade Detect Alignment for that are not alignment-based. You could take Detect Undead instead, or Detect Magic, or Detect Night Creatures, or Detect Lies, or Know Greatest Enemy.

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 22, 2017, 12:27:42 AM »
@Drammor: That's cool, so it'll detect Clerics, Paladins, Favored Souls, Undead(?) and Outsiders(?), but not level X characters, right? And overwhelming auras don't depend on either party's alignment; if they're twice the Detector's ECL, and their aura is overwhelming, then the Detector is at risk of being stunned (obviously not when undead, but for clarity).

@Maelphaxerazz: Thanks, most of my paladins already have Know Greatest Enemy, but if some of my Cohorts aren't taking Leadership, and so won't qualify for L(ord/ady) of the Dead, then they might take levels of Blackguard on the PrC/LA Side. BG's don't have much in the way of ACF's, and I wanted to know what I'd get outta of using Detect Good. It appears that the words 'good', 'evil', 'lawful', 'cHa0t1k' and 'alignment' are excised from the rules and the rest of the rules surrounding them are pressed gently together to see if they make enough sense.

[Edit] Since the Tressym (LEoF 191) are +0 LA (Cohort), and intelligent to boot, I'm trying to find a way for Magical Beasts to qualify for a cheap Undead template so that they can replace the Anthropomorphic Ravens as warlock mooks. Any ideas? (Necropolitan needs Humanoids and Monstr. Hum., and Bone Creature (BoVD) is unupdated, so no LA listed, and Corpse Creature (also BoVD) is also Unupdated)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 03:31:19 AM by Chemus »
My Homebrew

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 22, 2017, 04:15:48 AM »
Yes, all correct there.

No ideas on the turning-tressyms-into-undeads front, though.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 22, 2017, 05:59:50 AM »
Does it have to list an LA for the template?  :tongue

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 22, 2017, 12:51:52 PM »
Does it have to list an LA for the template?  :tongue
Dunno, but prolly.

Upon looking relatively thoroughly, I don't find much except:

bonesinger (orig creature must have been a bard, no LA listed, even after the ghostwalk update to 3.5, and the dwarf ghost has a listed LA +0; LA only mentioned 3 times in the update)

crypt spawn (MoF, exactly like necropolitan, except that the +2 to saves vs control undead is replaced with Nat AC by HD (+1), and a +4 Intimidate, created with a 7th level Initiate of Bane divine spell (Undeath after Death), 50gp/HD) +2 LA after the FR Update in the PGtF WE (dammit)

Zin-carla (F&P, necropolitan, except control undead resistance -> DR 5/magic, LA +4! after update WE).

Even Ghost savage progression only works for level 2 critters since it gives no HD at any level. LA buyback makes level 2 followers for 'free', but I don't guess that that's what Drammor's going for.

The crypt spawn is the best, but for that NAC and LA. *mumble mumble WotC*

[edited for accuracy and to link crypt spawn]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 02:01:40 PM by Chemus »
My Homebrew

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 24, 2017, 02:08:16 AM »
...I'd forgotten PAO; if PAO'd into, say doppelgangers (Same Kingdom +5, Same Class +2, larger size and higher Int, so stop there for Duration: 1 week), then Necropolitan'd, the tressym would stay Necropolitan'd, right? (Alter Self -> polymorph -> PAO)

...I should stay with the Fly 40 (poor/average) AM Ravens, rather than the Fly 80 (good/perfect) Tressym, shouldn't I?
My Homebrew

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 24, 2017, 05:07:00 AM »
Yeah, you're getting into some serious fondue territory here, Chemus. Stick with the ravenfolk, that should be safe ;)

Offline Maelphaxerazz

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 26, 2017, 04:49:41 PM »
I know you guys liked the idea of following Evening glory, but guys

what if

we follow Tem-Et-Nu

Offline Vladeshi

• Feel free to ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 26, 2017, 05:18:33 PM »
crypt spawn (MoF, exactly like necropolitan, except that the +2 to saves vs control undead is replaced with Nat AC by HD (+1), and a +4 Intimidate, created with a 7th level Initiate of Bane divine spell (Undeath after Death), 50gp/HD) +2 LA after the FR Update in the PGtF WE (dammit)

The crypt spawn is the best, but for that NAC and LA. *mumble mumble WotC*

If that LA was not there I would be using that over Necropolitan in an instant.
Because my Intimidate check is already +30.

what if
we follow Tem-Et-Nu

The phrase "Oh yes, we worship the Holy Hippo!" comes to mind.  :lmao

@Drammor: In that vein, how serious do we want this campaign to be?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 05:21:57 PM by Vladeshi »
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 26, 2017, 08:44:34 PM »
I know you guys liked the idea of following Evening glory, but guys

what if

we follow Tem-Et-Nu

I will unleash the revived fossil hippopotamuses, then.

If that LA was not there I would be using that over Necropolitan in an instant.
Because my Intimidate check is already +30.

The phrase "Oh yes, we worship the Holy Hippo!" comes to mind.  :lmao

@Drammor: In that vein, how serious do we want this campaign to be?

I was aiming for more serious than that. Not quite dire, though. I mean, there will be moral issues that come up, even if you're playing Team Evil in the Land without Alignments.