Author Topic: Chapter 1: A New Beginning  (Read 129003 times)

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 1: A New Beginning
« Reply #880 on: July 02, 2019, 09:57:02 PM »
You are surprised by a group of travelers. An old man and woman, their son, and his wife.  One of them nearly shoots you when yoou step around the corner of a hill.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: July 03, 2019, 03:01:26 PM »
"Don't shoot!"

Do I recognize them from town? If not:

"From where are you coming?"

Sense Motive = 1d20+10
Rolled 1d20+10 : 8 + 10, total 18
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: July 09, 2019, 06:09:12 PM »
you don't recognize them

"We were part of a group fleeing New York before the fighting started in earnest.  There were several family's initially, but everywhere we've gone has been subsequently destroyed by...things.  We are hoping for refuge in Philadelphia.  All behind us is lost."

he is not fibbing

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: July 11, 2019, 10:07:44 AM »
"I have seen some of what you describe. I have not been to Philadelphia in some time, so I have no idea if it still stands. Our settlement is not far from here. We could use more able bodies if you are willing. We have spent a lot of effort on fortifying our own town.

You will have to have a medical examination first, to make sure you're not... infected. We've had problems in the past."

To one of her lieutenants: "We'll need to keep an eye on them. Their story is quite believable, but this wouldn't be the first time something that appeared human snuck past our defenses."
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: July 15, 2019, 10:35:43 PM »
"What do you mean infected?"

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: July 16, 2019, 06:36:28 AM »
"It's somewhat difficult to explain, but we've had issues of people seemingly normal at a glance who turned out to have some parasite."
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: July 18, 2019, 09:29:01 PM »
"We aren't worm-ridden."

He looks offended.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: July 20, 2019, 03:09:59 PM »
"I mean no offense. Surely you realize these are... unusual times, and I have a community to keep safe."
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: July 30, 2019, 10:56:30 PM »
He grumbles a bit, but falls in line.  "I'm Joshua Hawken.  This my wife Ethel, my son Benjamin, and his wife Bethany.  Who might you be?"

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: July 31, 2019, 11:12:24 AM »
He grumbles a bit, but falls in line.  "I'm Joshua Hawken.  This my wife Ethel, my son Benjamin, and his wife Bethany.  Who might you be?"

"Elizabeth Schumacher, town sheriff. From where did you come? Have you seen anything peculiar in your travels?"

If they submit to an examination, she'll look them over, looking for any evidence of things living in them.

Knowledge (physical sciences) = 1d20+10
Rolled 1d20+10 : 10 + 10, total 20

Knowlege (TMWNMTK) = 1d20+11
Rolled 1d20+11 : 10 + 11, total 21

My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: August 12, 2019, 09:31:46 PM »
"I have seen the Gates of Hell opened wide..."  He looks ill for a moment.  He grumbles a bit about the physical exam, but submits.  His family is clearly exhausted and undernourished.

"My grand children were taken in the night the first time we camped outside.  We've fled from town to town, from house to house.  There's always something there.  We stay a few nights and we realize one morning someone is missing, or something tries to break through the door in the night.  We saw what was left of a band of Washington's army.  They were terrible to look upon.  We escaped them at the cost of the lives of everyone traveling with us.  We're hoping Philadelphia stands still."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: August 13, 2019, 10:46:11 AM »
Are they showing signs of parasites or being puppetted?

"What's the condition of Washington's army? Do you mean they've turned to banditry out of desperation, or are they no longer human?

I was at Philadelphia several months ago. They had hunkered down and are quite cautious. I have no idea if the city still stands. If it does, I have no idea if they will allow anyone to enter. You can come to our town for the time being, if nothing else, to rest a bit."

My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: August 13, 2019, 04:13:15 PM »
No signs of bad stuff based on what knowledge you have.

"They were...they looked like their flesh had partly melted and then solidified.  Their uniforms were part of them now...I've nought seen anything like it, and I hope to never see it again.  We would welcome rest and food i you have any.  We are tired and hungry."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: August 14, 2019, 10:58:11 AM »
"We'll have to see how much food we have to spare. We've been going out to remote, abandoned houses to scavenge for supplies. For a while, our biggest concern was these feral people from the north coming down to attack. They were pretty primitive, and the cold weather has kept them at bay.

Times are strange and we've had to adapt. Both in terms of how we cope, but also in terms of how we understand the world."

Elizabeth starts the group heading back to town, keeping an eye out for any danger. She wants to get the sled of supplies back before it gets dark.
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: August 19, 2019, 08:02:28 PM »
The trip back is uneventful, and there is no news on your return.  What are you doing with the travelers?

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: August 20, 2019, 08:03:08 AM »
Are there any empty houses from deaths since this whole debacle began? What are the food stores looking like?
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: August 20, 2019, 04:51:00 PM »
Several empty houses.  Hunting has gone well so food is ok.  The cave dwellers haven't been seen much.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: August 21, 2019, 08:40:56 AM »
How far into winter are we? If it's nearing spring, Elizabeth will want to turn into a hawk and go check out their cave for signs of activity.

"We have some empty houses you can stay in for the time being. Right now, food isn't so scarce that you can't stay a while.

Tell me, what manner of things have you seen since all of... this started happening? I know you mentioned seeing the army as though they were shambling dead."
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: September 10, 2019, 06:19:40 PM »
(sorry i thought I'd replied already!)

You're into October, winiter is just unusually early.

"Dead?  No dead would have been a blessing.  It's like the flesh melted and reformed.  Their uniforms were part of them.  Some had their muskets fused into their hands.  Killing them was damnably difficult, but seemed the most merciful thing we could do.  They were all mad of course.  We also had run in's with some sort of strange cannibal tribe.  We thought them degenerates until we realized they weren't human and never had been.  One town was laid waste to in the night by an unseen thing, sparing only a few houses.  Those of us who survived fled during the day.  Nights are no longer safe at all."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: September 11, 2019, 07:45:17 AM »
"We haven't seen any of the troops you described, but everything else is pretty spot on for what we've seen. We were attacked by primitive troglodytes, but the cold seems to have slowed them down. Which reminds me, I need to check on them, again. They're a ways north of here."

Elizabeth will make sure the newly acquired supplies are put away and check on the situation of things. If nothing requires immediate attention, she will settle down and read some of the new books they brought back.

At the first day of clear weather, she wants to turn into a hawk and check out the troglodyte cave.
My creations