Author Topic: General Discussion and Sugestions  (Read 181622 times)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
Re: General Discussion and Sugestions
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2012, 05:49:51 PM »
I'm not sure what that means. Do you mean post it here as in this thread? Or do you mean in its own thread?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2012, 08:50:38 PM »
The respective monster's thread.

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2012, 03:22:49 PM »
I volunteer myself for the bear class. It will be done.
The Paladin Code: Detect Evil, Smite it, ask questions later.

Offline TravelLog

• Gunslinger, Descendent of Eld
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2012, 11:28:06 AM »
Kraken has been updated, and I posted Shaedling. Both awaiting approval.  :P
Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2012, 01:27:39 PM »
I have recently come into possession of MMII, I shall flip through and see if anything piques my interest.  :)

EDIT: So far, the Corollax is awesome (but not really suited to be a class, fear the 1/2CR bird) and whoever came up with the idea for a giant, animated graveyard that walks around and eats dead bodies was a sick person.

EDIT 2: ...and that guy was sane compared to whoever invented "The Flesh Jelly". In other news, Firebat is an interesting one. I may just do that. Some nice firey abilities, and I could totally rip off the Gelatinous Cubes budding for their splitting.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 02:13:04 PM by Rakoa »
The Paladin Code: Detect Evil, Smite it, ask questions later.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2012, 09:08:25 AM »
Would anyone mind a huge amount if I made a non D&D creature into a class?
Most specifically the Deathjack
(click to show/hide)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2012, 09:28:52 AM »
For the 26th time, yes you can make non-D&D monsters classes. I myself did a couple  Skavens, that are from Warhammer Fantasy.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2012, 09:35:25 AM »
 :D

Offline Demonic Spoon

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2012, 12:02:28 PM »
Well, not sure if I should post this in the monster's thread or here, so I'll just post it here, but I noticed a rather important typo in the skybleeder class. Also, any particular reason they don't get control weather? Too powerful?

I quote:

Acid Rain: At 6th level the Skybleeder can make its tentacles weep a slimy red acid. This acid does 1d4 points of acid damage per 3 HD per round to anything and anyone the Skybleeder hovers or flies over. A Reflex save with DC 10+1/2 HD+ Con mod halves this damage. The acid becomes inert right after it deals damage, so a target is only affected for as long as the skybleeder remains overhead. The Skybleeder can stop using this ability or resume it as an immediate action. It can also still use Acid Drizzle as normal.

Such is the corrosive nature of this rain that it ignores an amount of acid resistance equal to the Skybleeder's HD. Even other creatures normally immune to acid simply count as having Acid Resistance 20 against this.

-snip-

Acid Torrent: At 10th level, if the Skybleeder's already using Acid Rain, it can further intensify it as a swift action for 1 round, making it cause 1d4 acid damage per HD instead of just 2d4 acid damage. It can use this ability a number of times per day equal to its Con mod.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2012, 12:44:02 PM »
Well, not sure if I should post this in the monster's thread or here, so I'll just post it here, but I noticed a rather important typo in the skybleeder class. Also, any particular reason they don't get control weather? Too powerful?

I quote:

Acid Rain: At 6th level the Skybleeder can make its tentacles weep a slimy red acid. This acid does 1d4 points of acid damage per 3 HD per round to anything and anyone the Skybleeder hovers or flies over. A Reflex save with DC 10+1/2 HD+ Con mod halves this damage. The acid becomes inert right after it deals damage, so a target is only affected for as long as the skybleeder remains overhead. The Skybleeder can stop using this ability or resume it as an immediate action. It can also still use Acid Drizzle as normal.

Such is the corrosive nature of this rain that it ignores an amount of acid resistance equal to the Skybleeder's HD. Even other creatures normally immune to acid simply count as having Acid Resistance 20 against this.

-snip-

Acid Torrent: At 10th level, if the Skybleeder's already using Acid Rain, it can further intensify it as a swift action for 1 round, making it cause 1d4 acid damage per HD instead of just 2d4 acid damage. It can use this ability a number of times per day equal to its Con mod.

You can post this kind of thing in the monster thread.  :)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2012, 02:41:15 PM »
What Nanshork said. Fixed the typo since I was at it, thanks for pointing it out.

EDIT: Wait, they're suposed to get control weather? I'll check that.

Offline QuantumPhase

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2012, 09:24:48 AM »
Can someone go into more detail about the "If it multiclasses for a/an ___ class it can count ___ levels as levels of that class...."? Examples would be nice....

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2012, 07:30:28 AM »
Can someone go into more detail about the "If it multiclasses for a/an ___ class it can count ___ levels as levels of that class...."? Examples would be nice....

Pretty much every monster that has that ability has a short example.

But ok, let's say you've taken two levels of said monster than then change to wizard. You now count as if you already had two wizard levels before.

Normally a wizard has 4 cantrip slots and 2 1st level spell slots at 2nd level, and when he levels up to third level he gains one 2nd level spell slot.

So your monster/wizard character gain a 2nd level spell slot, but no 1st level or cantrip slots. Your CL is 3.  If you pick another wizard level, then  you get another 2nd level spell slot and a 1st level spell slot, because that's what a wizard gains when they go from level 3 to 4.

The FAQ has detailed tables on how many spell slots you gain when multiclassing at each level trough this way.

Offline QuantumPhase

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2012, 08:12:05 PM »

Pretty much every monster that has that ability has a short example.

But ok, let's say you've taken two levels of said monster than then change to wizard. You now count as if you already had two wizard levels before.

Normally a wizard has 4 cantrip slots and 2 1st level spell slots at 2nd level, and when he levels up to third level he gains one 2nd level spell slot.

So your monster/wizard character gain a 2nd level spell slot, but no 1st level or cantrip slots. Your CL is 3.  If you pick another wizard level, then  you get another 2nd level spell slot and a 1st level spell slot, because that's what a wizard gains when they go from level 3 to 4.

The FAQ has detailed tables on how many spell slots you gain when multiclassing at each level trough this way.
Thanks! I saw the examples on the pages, but I wasn't exactly sure if I understood it correctly. Now, off to make my tsochar sorcerer!

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2012, 09:55:34 PM »
I was thinking of writing the Tauric template up as a PRC but I have sort of stumbled into a wall... I was going to have the only requirement be level 1 and have the body ability grant the natural attacks of both creatures (not bite/gore from lower half or rake from upper half) and the better of the two's natural armor but it seems like a nightmare to write... Obviously it needs to be at level 1 and you need to decide on the two forms there and then but you wont have any levels in either class at that point.

It is also really strange to have a PRC at level 1 but I guess that is what happens if you get templates mixed up with your PRCs... anyway, I would like some help on wording, my thought so far:
Tauric Body(Ex): At level 1 you must choose two creatures, one to form your upper body and another to form your lower body. Your upper body may never be larger than your lower body. You gain the natural weapons of both the upper and lower bodies except for the bite and gore attacks of the lower body and rake attacks of the upper body. You also gain gain the better of each creatures Natural armor bonus. You may multiclass freely between both monster classes.

First problem is that there is a pressure to use monster classes for both halves rather than Human/Monster as I would like and the second is that you may end up with a huge number of natural weapon attacks...

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2012, 10:00:14 PM »
How do you intend it to interact with Monstrous Hybrid?  Maybe you can make use of that?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2012, 10:02:33 PM »
Possibly but it really needs to do more than that, Tauric defines your form whereas Monsterous hybrid is just about the multiclassing.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2012, 06:49:58 AM »
First problem is that there is a pressure to use monster classes for both halves rather than Human/Monster as I would like and the second is that you may end up with a huge number of natural weapon attacks...

If you grant the racial traits of a base race it becomes a lot more tempting, but then make sure the first level is granting little else.

Also specify that you only get to pick LA 0 races and monster classes, right now you get to pick the srd tarrasque as one of the starting halves.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2012, 11:22:47 PM »
I intend the body ability to be the entire first level of the class, second level would grant the other bonuses of each race's first level and third would count as the first level of each class for progression purposes. Thus Tauric Angel/Pegasus would look something like this:

1 Angel Slam attack, Pegasi move speed, Pegasi Hoof attacks, Choice of either angel or pegasi AC bonus.
2 Pegasi Spell-like Abilities, Divine Blood, Scent, Celestial blood, Heaven Miracle, Change Shape
3 Counts as the 1st level of each class, Something Else...

So at level 3 the Tauric Angel/Pegasus has the powers of a level 1 pegasus and level 1 angel (with bonus spell slots due to Divine Blood) and could go strait into the second level of one of the classes without having to take the first level again.

Thoughts? Don't want to start a thread for a half baked idea. It is not based off the CR of the tauric template either, being as it has +0 CR (And is ridiculously broken)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 11:24:22 PM by littha »

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2012, 05:32:56 PM »
Been reading Fiendish Codex 2. A suggestion for the devil classes:

Infernal Promotion: A devil who has reached maximum level in his monster class can choose to undergo a transformation into a devil of higher rank whenever he gains another character level. Build a new character from scratch with the same number of HD and as many levels in the next rank's monster class as possible; these stats permanently replace your original stats.

Quote from: Ranks
Standard
Lemure/Nupperibo -> Spined devil -> Bearded devil -> Imp -> Steel devil -> Chain devil -> Erinyes*/Harvester devil/Pain devil -> Amnizu -> Bone devil/Malebranche*/Orthon -> Barbed devil -> Ice devil -> Horned devil -> Assassin devil/Pleasure devil* -> Paeliryon -> Pit fiend

Abishai
Lemure -> White abishai -> Black abishai -> Green abishai -> Blue abishai -> Red abishai -> Chain devil -> (as standard)

*These devils can be promoted to higher forms, but other devils cannot be promoted into them.
(the ability description for each devil mentioning only the new forms available to them)

Duke of Hell: At 20th level, a pit fiend has surpassed the normal hierarchy of infernal forms and become a unique entity. From now on, he can multiclass into any monster class as if he possessed the Monster Hybrid feat. If he already possessed the Monster Hybrid feat, he may trade it for any other feat for which he meets the prerequisites.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 08:15:54 PM by Prime32 »