Author Topic: Starkin  (Read 4422 times)

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
Starkin
« on: October 15, 2019, 01:43:35 PM »
Starkin

Prerequisites: A living, corporeal creature transformed by a Starkin Emperor/Empress
HD:d6
Level  Bab   Fort   Ref   Will   Feature
1          +0      +2    +2    +2    Celestial Body, Alternative Energy, Constellation, Starkin Armament
2          +0      +3    +3    +3    Ability Score Increase, Board
3          +1      +3    +3    +3    Ability Score Increase, The Third Eye
Skills: 6+Int mod, quadruple at first level, Class Skills are Autohypnosis, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft(any), Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Knowledge(any), Search Survival, Spot, Swim

Celestial Body: The celestial radiation flooding the bodies of Starkin make them something not entirely human. This makes them much more resistant to outside influence, giving them a +5 bonus again poisons and diseases. They also possess heightened senses, giving them lowlight vision and darkvision out to 60 feet. Last it give them a set of wing with a membranous and/or made of energy appearance. The appearance varies from creature to creature, but they most often look like the wings of an insects. They grant no ability for flight at first, but can be semi used in a way that give +5 to Jump checks. At 2nd level, this gives them the ability to glide at 2/3 their base speed. Finally at 3rd level they can fly at base speed. These wings don't necessarily have to be able to move, but they must be out and mostly undamaged. Much like the Starkin Armament, these wings can be pulled into the body.

Alternative Energy (Su): While the base energies that mutated one into a Starkin may be similar, there are actually two different sources of power which results in two different groups of Starkin. Pick one of these, the choice cannot be changed.
(click to show/hide)

Constellation (Ex): All Starkin share a bond, and this bond is intense between those sharing the same type of energy. If you take a moment to feel it out, you can sense another Starkin sharing your Alternative Energy within 1,000 miles. You know the direction but no other details. Half this for those of the other energy type.

Starkin Armament (Su): Having tapped into the power of Creation, each Starkin has a personal item that is created from their new internal energies. Choose one of the following;
(click to show/hide)
Either way this item is considered masterwork, and can be drawn or put away into yourself as a move action (except natural weapons, which still may have an deactivated state).
Other abilities and feats that may influence the ability to pull out a weapon can be applied to this. This weapon can have any amount of mundane abilities for a weapon of its type, not including materials it may be built from. Ranged weapons automatically produce standard ammo.
At 1, 3 and every 3 HD after choose either a martial stance, boost, strike, spell or power equal to half your character level +1. Maneuvers are usable at will and your IL is your equal to your HD. If a spell/power it can be use once per 4 HD per day(no less than once), and your caster level is equal to your HD. If the maneuver/spell/power is one that would normally somehow buff one person or weapon (boosts in case of maneuvers, and only one may be active from this ability), it is permanently active. If the spell is 1/4 your character level it may be used at will. Stances can be used at will, but keep in mind you may only be in one stance at a time as normal. Alternatively you may choose a feat that fits the item or your theme. You must meet any requirements. The DM may reject something based off it being off theme or too strong.
The Armament must be out to use any of it's abilities. Armaments have double the hardness and HP of a normal item made out of standard materials. If disarmed or destroyed, it can be reformed as a move action. If you take a class which provides a weapon (such as a Soulknife) you can choose for the Armament to replace it (gaining abilities and being about to be use for features requiring it), but cannot change your mind once this is decided. If playing SRW this item can be replicated on mecha scale if piloting though only on mechas that have been prepared before hand. This becomes a magical weapon at Starkin level 3.

Ability Score Increase: At second level they gain +2 to two stats of their choice, at third they gain another +2 two stats of their choice.

Board: As a person you have most likely had some sort of occupation and even while going through these changes you can continue your progress. This may affect your place among other Starkin. Choose one below;
(click to show/hide)

The Third Eye (Su): At third level your transformation completes, and you gain an unusual energy based organ in your forehead. When "open" you can use this to Detect Magic or Evil/Good/Chaos/Law.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 05:03:34 PM by YuweaCurtis »

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
Re: Starkin *WIP*
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 01:43:48 PM »
Twilight Archon Placeholder

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 01:44:14 PM »
Starkin Emperor/Empress

Prerequisites: A living, corporeal creature exposed to meteors of a certain type, Must take all starkin levels afterwards ignoring it's prerequisites, DM permission
HD:d12
Level  Bab   Fort   Ref   Will   Feature
1          +0      +2    +2    +2    Body of the Heavens, Alternative Energy, Constellation, Starkin Armament
2          +0      +3    +3    +3    Ability Score Increase, Monarch Path, God Monocle
Skills: 8+Int mod, all previously know skills

Body of the Heavens: As a Starkin's Celestial Body, count levels in this class as Starkin. They do not stack. Additionally you are counted as both an aberration and your original type. You can turn corporeal living creatures into Starkin of your chosen Alternative Energy. When you take your first level of Starkin you get DR - equal to 1/4 your HD, SR 10+1 per hit die, and energy resistance 15 + 1 per HD. Starkin of your type within 50 feet gain your DR - and fast healing equal to 1/4 your HD.

Alternative Energy: As Starkin's, does not stack.

Constellation: All Starkin share a bond, and this bond is intense between those sharing the same type of energy. As an Emperor or Empress, you are central to this. If you take a moment to feel it out, you can sense another Starkin sharing your Alternative Energy within 5,000 miles. You know the direction but no other details. Half this for those of the other energy type. This supersedes the Starkin Ability of the same name.

Starkin Armament: The same as the Starkin's, does not stack. Additionally, when taking your first level of Starkin choose one type of material. Your armament is now considered to be made from it.

Ability Score Increase: At second level they gain +2 to two stats of their choice

Monarch Path: Gain a Board ability from the Starkin list and bonus Starkin feat. Levels of this stack for determining abilities. Abilities that increase at levels 2 and 3  will increase level 2 in this class, and levels 1 and 3 of Starkin. When getting your second level of Starkin gain a second Board ability.

God Monocle (Su): As the Starkin's Third Eye. When gaining your third level of Starkin you have Blindsight out to 60 feet and can Detect Thoughts at will on other Starkin, ones of different energy gain a +5 bonus and the other Emperor/Empress gain a +10 bonus. You can also activate the ability to use True Seeing as a free action for a number of rounds per day equal to HD.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 10:50:19 PM by YuweaCurtis »

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 01:44:38 PM »
Starstream [Starkin]
Prerequisites: Celestial Body
Benefit: A Starkin has the ability to move at blinding speeds, seeming as if they appeared from nowhere. Any time you would be able to move, you may teleport instead, moving 1.5 your highest movement speed. You must have line of sight to the destined location. If you have Improved Feint you may Feint as a part of this movement.

Starlit Outlet [Starkin]
Prerequisites: Alternative Energy - Starlight
Benefit: Your primary abiliity modifier for a single class is considered 2 higher for the purpose of gaining spell slots, PP, or similar.

Dark Devastaion [Starkin]
Prerequisites: Alternative Energy - Dark Matter
Benefit: Enemies failing saving throws again your magical and supernatural abilities recieve a penalty to attack and damage roll equal to thr modifier of your highest mental stat. If instantaneous or permanent this lasts one round, otherwise as long as the original effect. One a successful save they still receive half the penalty for one round.

Star Core [Starkin]
Prerequisites: Alternative Energy
Benefit: The Starkin gains a pool of Spell Points as a Wizard. These can be used to pay for abilities that require you to expend a certain level spell to use, spending the points required to cast a spell that level. Also, they can be used to power Love-Colored Magic stances and manuevers. On failed saves effected creatures are Dazzled for one round.
You cannot spend more on an ability than the highest level spell a Sorcerer your level can cast.

Twilight Begins [Starkin]
Prerequisites: Alternative Energy - Starlight or Dark Matter
Benefit: Something dramatic has happened and you know possess both forms of energy, making you a completed star. Your magical and supernatural abilities are effected both forms of energy. When using Divine Flame your attacks are Half fire, with the other half being force or magical bludgeoning.
You may rework decisions made for the Starkin Armament to also fit the nature of the other energy when you take this.

Starkin Armament Enhancement [Starkin]
Prerequisites: Starkin Armament
Benefit: Your Armament receives a enhancement bonus equal to one half your HD. This is subject to normal weapon enhancement rules and can be changed on level up.

Legendary Starkin Armament [Starkin]
Prerequisites: Starkin Armament, Starkin Armament Enhancement, Level 5
Benefit: The true potential of your soul shows, transforming your weapon into a Weapon of Legacy. You do not have to pay anything or take any extra feats for it, but you still must take one of the penalty sets. At DM distraction you mat also have to do something momentous at the points you would normally have to do the Legacy Ritual. It can not gain any weapon enhancements or enhancement abilities from this.

Celestial Form - Temporary power up
Nova Crash - Greater strength at the cost of bodily health
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 02:28:14 AM by YuweaCurtis »

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 01:45:21 PM »
Just in case / Non-Integrated Notes

Twilight Archon
1 or 2 levels

Paradox Body

Mixed Energies

Creative Destruction ( Weapon ability referring to the two energy nature)

Cosmic Consciousness

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 09:31:36 PM by YuweaCurtis »

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
Re: Starkin
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 12:41:25 PM »
Yea the main part is done, if anyone was unsure.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 02:42:55 AM »
Ok, so first things first:
-Needs pic. I can help with that if you tell me what you're looking for exactly.
-Since it seems to be your original creation, some fluff intro would be nice or source if it's not original.
-Needs skills/skill points.

Now on the class abilities:
-Starkin Armament "any mundane ability" sounds like something that could be easily abused. If nothing else every starkin walking around with adamantine supercraft armament.
-Starkin Armament 'minor ability discussed with DM' is kinda too vague. If you want a list of exotic item abilities, intelligent items have a nice list besides the class version already provides some nice inspiration.
-Starkin Armament allows any spell/power once per 4 HD. I think a "per day" is missing there. Also clause that they still need normal exp/costly components despite being a Su ability.
-Board needs a bit better wording. Warrior/Knight gives how many bonus feats and when? And mage/rook/bishop/healer should probably specify that they only progress spell slots of a base class and spell knowns at 2nd/3rd level since CL is already being increased. Jester/pawn seems to be meant to be "spells of level up to 1/4 HD" . And tactician/king certainly should have an actual type for their bonus (insight, sacred, something) so it isn't stacking so easily with every other aura out there. Also missing an option for mecha progression for SRW games.

So looking overall pretty nice so far, just needs some clearer wording here and there plus Starkin armament could use to being a bit less open-ended. If anything, a maneuver/spell and an intelligent item ability is already good, then allow to be further upgraded with special mundane materials/crafting tecnhiques at half price or something along those lines. Maybe magic enhancement at half price too. Perhaps allow the chosen spell/maneuver/etc to be switched at level up.

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 06:12:19 PM »
Everything but the fluff and pic has been done. I added some bits about skill gained in the classes and added some SRWd20 stuff.

Changed some stuff about the maneuver/spell/power uses.

I'm thinking of allowing one to get Arsenal Weapon traits in lieu of a maneuver/spell/power. Also considering allowing other abilities as a replacement, but I'll worry about those later. The initial idea was for the weapons to have maneuvers/spells/powers as special techniques and having something like "extreme weight except to user" as a passive effect but I dunno how to do this and I guess stances are passive enough. If I do add special abilities like that I'll probably just make them replace in order to keep balanced.

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 08:20:25 PM »
Emperor / Empress done.

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 10:46:23 PM »
Quoted on accident lol.

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 10:40:51 AM »
Your first "Arsenal" link under Starkin armament links to Os' "Pretty Soldier" magic girl class.

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2022, 11:49:00 PM »
Quoted on accident but I'm starting to work on this again.

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2022, 06:00:01 PM »
Made some changes to Alternative Energy, edited Future Arms, add PL to Warrior. Made some feats... Think that's everything, been kinda in and out the last few days and anyone who looked at this probably needs a refresher and to read it all anyways 🤣.

Offline Chaos_Blade

• Lurker
  • I've heard those words before.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2022, 05:54:56 PM »
Apologies for necro but why do they have lower than low BAB? Low would be 1/2 this is.... 1/3 or 1/4 BAB or something, lol

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2022, 07:11:15 PM »
Apologies for necro but why do they have lower than low BAB? Low would be 1/2 this is.... 1/3 or 1/4 BAB or something, lol

It uses the poor BAB progression, there isn't any progression that does 1/2 BAB.

Pathfinder 1E appears to use a 1/2 BAB progression for its low BAB classes but this is for D&D 3.5 and not PF.

Offline Versatility_Nut

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2022, 01:12:54 PM »

It uses the poor BAB progression, there isn't any progression that does 1/2 BAB.

Pathfinder 1E appears to use a 1/2 BAB progression for its low BAB classes but this is for D&D 3.5 and not PF.
BAB on Wizard is listed as +0/+1/+1/+2/+2/+3/+3...

Undead have "Base attack bonus equal to ½ total Hit Dice (as wizard)."

It is in fact 1/2 BAB progression. You may be misremembering it for the poor SAVE progression.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2022, 03:07:42 PM »

BAB on Wizard is listed as +0/+1/+1/+2/+2/+3/+3...

Undead have "Base attack bonus equal to ½ total Hit Dice (as wizard)."

It is in fact 1/2 BAB progression. You may be misremembering it for the poor SAVE progression.

I was going off of this chart right here.  It's possible the chart is wrong, but I don't care enough about 3.5 anymore to do more than cursory research.

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2022, 05:14:40 PM »
It is indeed supposed to be minimum BAB.