Author Topic: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater  (Read 236856 times)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2015, 11:48:30 AM »
Haven't bought Afterbirth yet myself,
I can sell you one if you like. o.o Oh you meant a video game...

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2016, 11:02:12 AM »
Getting back to the MMORPG camp with Tera Online, a game i've long since considered playing, but only now really gotten to, after making sure it's not very pay to win.

So far, about 2 or 3 hours in, i'm finding the game very nice. Polished, good gameplay, decent voice acting on NPC's. Nice graphics, too, and optimized enough it runs flawlessly on my subpar gaming rig.

Didn't try controller support yet, but it was nice to see it was a thing by having my 360 controller plugged in and seeing by accident that they have a nice little UI thing on the HUD for assigning hotkeys to the controller. Very, very nice.

I still have to get the hang of the chain skill system, and the crafting system - still haven't figured that one out just yet. I'm sure the game will get grindy as all MMORPG's tend to, but Tera seems to have enough stuff to keep you relatively busy.

When I played it some years ago, Tera was nice.

When playing on the keyboard, I just keep pressing the same button until the whole chain is over (played as Lancer and Sorcerer). For those skill that had more than one possible chain skill, I would map the skill I use the most close to the original skill's button. It worked for me.

Seeing the Brawler class, I am thinking on returning... But the time to play, Oh the time to play, it is so scarce these days...

I've played or beta'd most of the NCSoft MMO's, and they've been pretty slick and accessible, with the first half of the leveling and experience being pretty good. But god damn, the back half of their games grind is terrible as fuck. I also can't forgive their patch/content team for fucking up Aion and neutering the design of rifts.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2016, 11:09:10 AM »
I also can't forgive their patch/content team for fucking up Aion and neutering the design of rifts.

Agreed. Those were good times.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2016, 12:19:36 PM »
Blade & Soul is opening on the 19th <3
The CBs were amaaaaazing~
Been waiting for so long for this to come to the US!

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2016, 12:53:04 PM »
Blade & Soul is opening on the 19th <3
The CBs were amaaaaazing~
Been waiting for so long for this to come to the US!

This. +1 to this.

Even though I didn't play a lot ... goddamn work consuming all my time  :banghead :banghead

Now, to find a good VPN to reduce the lag...

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2016, 03:22:52 PM »
I just filled out the form for creating my own custom character in Darkest Dungeon.  When the game goes live in two weeks, I'll be able to recruit him!
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2016, 04:16:53 PM »
Got addicted to Shadow of Mordor. Played 22 hours in 4 days. I have an 86% completion rate.

It is a very nifty game. The gist is that you are a Ranger sabotaging Sauron's army. Oh, and you have a wraith elf buddy helping you along the way. A yt commentor once described it as Elder Scrolls: Batman's Creed. It combines a bit of open world parkour with Arkham's combo based fighting, with a cool chain of command where orc leaders ascend in rank and get disgraced, with outcomes you can manipulate. Needless to say, getting incompetent leaders in charge is a good idea.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2016, 04:33:23 PM »
Playing Grand Theft Auto V right now, and really like the trade-off of having 3 playable characters instead of 1.  So far I'm really enjoying Michael De Santa's quests, which can be summed up as the Wacky Adventures of Gangster Dad.  The gist is that he's a former drug-dealer/overall crook who's now living a new life in a nice house due to witness protection, and feels resentful at his wife and kids who he perceives as ungrateful for the opportunities he gives them in life.

But he has an anger problem, and a lot of his missions or ones which involve him are otherwise mundane things which he ends up escalating into a violent situation or one which involves the cops getting called in.  Take for example a phone call sidequest he gets from his wife, who just got arrested for shoplifting.  If you accept, he has to ensure that his wife is not put in jail...by hijacking the cop car and speeding away while the pair argue in away only a bitter married couple can.

It's amazing.

It's unorthodox in comparison to a lot of GTA and their "clone" games which usually have a career criminal protagonist whose missions tend to be straightforward in how they're gonna play out, minus a betrayal twist or two.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2016, 03:06:47 PM »
Witcher 3 is sucking the life out of me. I thought it was bad with FO4, but Witcher 3 is such a better game.

Sure, they've both got lore coming out the wazoo, but Witcher 3 is so much more fleshed out. It has SIDE QUESTS THAT MAKE YOU WANT TO DO THEM. And not just for the sake of the reward, you actually want to do them, because you want to find out more about the world and the story.

Sure, there are some side quests which are simple "do this" and here's a simple reward for ya, but many more that actually take you to somewhere on the map you wouldn't actually ever travel to, and give you something to do while you're there, and then get you some interesting stuff besides that.

I wasn't thinking highly of the game at first. White Orchard isn't really all that exciting, but once you get past that area (which is more of an extension of the tutorial, really), then it gets really good.

Mechanics are tight. Counterattacking is hard, as it should, and you can't parry everything forever. The game is hard on hard, but not so much you get frustrated, and enemies don't suck up hits for several minutes before going down. If you do it properly, you can end the battle quickly, do it wrong, and it's going to go badly for you.

I'm really enjoying it all. Voice acting is pretty good as well.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the best RPG game of all time, like i've been hearing here and there, but it's DEFINITELY up there.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2016, 03:14:15 PM »
Witcher 3 is amazing!

I've been avoiding FO4, the dumbed down rpg mechanics put me off.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2016, 01:55:18 PM »
Witcher 3 ease, maybe hard on hard... or not

If you specialize in a particular path of offense, multipliers get sort of absurd.

What messed me a up a bit was going back and forth between Dark Souls, where rolls have iframes.

Unless you have nothing better to do, are a completionist, or need gold. Leave the treasure alone at sea. It's boring and tedious, and doesn't lead to any interesting discoveries.

Craft & use witcher gear, sell everything else.

Heart of Stone expansion: main quest was really good, only 1 other notable side quest stuck out in my mind.
Looking forward to the next one.

Maybe spoil the methods of getting which ending, if you think you'll get irritated by potential results.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2016, 03:27:37 PM »
Witcher 3 ease, maybe hard on hard... or not

If you specialize in a particular path of offense, multipliers get sort of absurd.

What messed me a up a bit was going back and forth between Dark Souls, where rolls have iframes.

Unless you have nothing better to do, are a completionist, or need gold. Leave the treasure alone at sea. It's boring and tedious, and doesn't lead to any interesting discoveries.

Craft & use witcher gear, sell everything else.

Heart of Stone expansion: main quest was really good, only 1 other notable side quest stuck out in my mind.
Looking forward to the next one.

Maybe spoil the methods of getting which ending, if you think you'll get irritated by potential results.

Witcher gear is powerful and neat, but oftentimes, you get a gap between getting each set and its corresponding upgrades... And the rarer stuff you find can help bridge that gap by giving you a teensy tiny bit of an edge before you can upgrade your witcher gear and make it really useful again.

Another thing, many of the rarer weapons you find can have multiple sockets early on, while your witcher gear might have one or two... Get 3 of the runes that stun enemies and spam fast attack for an E-Z win against most of the more difficult enemies, especially with faster attack speed abilities unlocked.

Armor, especially, is kind of a big deal, and until you can wear the Griffin School witcher gear, you'll basically be depending on stuff you either craft with recipes you buy off of blacksmiths/find, or loot you get from Hidden Treasures & Guarded Treasures & Spoils of War.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2016, 04:03:57 PM »
Gap in between levels and next set, yea, but I almost never found a drop that filled the gap, since presumably for witcher gear the base values were comparatively high for the level prereq. The upgrade also inherits runes, so no waste in popping a max rune in. I see your point if you really need 3 runes of multipliers for something.

I used light armor all the way. Quen was enough to cover my derps. Though as I understand it there are basically unkillable adrenaline face tank builds you can do.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2016, 10:34:33 PM »
Platinum is making a Ninja Turtles game!  They made Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, if you weren't sure who Platinum is.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2016, 12:00:30 AM »
Gap in between levels and next set, yea, but I almost never found a drop that filled the gap, since presumably for witcher gear the base values were comparatively high for the level prereq. The upgrade also inherits runes, so no waste in popping a max rune in. I see your point if you really need 3 runes of multipliers for something.

I used light armor all the way. Quen was enough to cover my derps. Though as I understand it there are basically unkillable adrenaline face tank builds you can do.

Found something Relic gear is generally better than Witcher gear is:

status effects.

Freeze, for instance, is REALLY powerful. I should note im focusing on a fast attacking build, but still. I managed to grab a +3% freeze silver weapon. With 3 slots. So i popped 3 of the +3% runes in it, and now have +12% freeze on it. Freeze is REALLY powerful. It's like an Yrden sign, only boosted to like 250%. Enemies can't do shit when they're frozen, and it lasts a LONG time, AND it doesn't go away when you hit em like Axii or Stun or Stagger does.

Bottom line meaning, once an enemy gets frozen, they're hosed. It's an over and done battle. Considering how many times you hit an enemy, it's preeetty common that they're going to get frozen, and once they are, it's odds to you that they're going to stay that way. Combined with an upgraded Yrden and Quen signs, mean big enemies mean shit.

Another cool blade i've found is one Relic Steel Sword that gives a whopping 35% bleed chance, 50% critical damage, plus 10% critical chance, and it has 3 slots. So i popped 3 of my 5% bleed chance runes for a total of 50% bleed chance, and now i completely changed my strategy of fighting steel-vulnerable enemies.

I just ping them, bleed them, change target, ping them, bleed em, and, soon enough, they drop. This strategy works even BETTER once i've unlocked the spin attack, that targets multiple enemies. Now, it's not OFTEN you encounter groups of 6+ humans/dwarfs/Scoia'tel

But when you do, it's usually pretty one sided.

AND i've also found another steel blade, that admittedly, does do bit less slashing damage than the other steel swords of that level, BUT, makes it up with +16 fire damage, +10% ignii sign intensity and a 3% chance of burning, and 3 slots, which i've filled with +3% burning runes, for a total of 12% burning chance.

This is MURDER to Lichens, Werewolves, Wolves, & Bears. Why Lichens & Werewolves, if they take less damage from Steel Swords? Because of the pack of wolves they summon when they get under 50% health.

It also works wonders against single or few humanoid opponents, who stop doing everything when they're on fire, including defending themselves, making Burning superior to Stagger & Stun in strictly every way. Freeze is still better, though, and Bleeding still does better damage over a longer period of time.

By comparison, Witcher blades don't carry nearly the same amount of effects. At least until, let's say, about 17 or 18 level or such, i think you're better off with a mix of blades that include at least some of the most powerful relic weapons as well as the Witcher gear.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2016, 02:05:37 AM »
Waiting for the 21st for my video game sabbatical to be over.  Will say that I had a great period of productivity this week due to this.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2016, 09:44:59 PM »
Just made my first video game mod.  I'm so thankful what I wanted to do was literally just change four numbers.  It's a start!

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2016, 10:02:34 AM »
Platinum is making a Ninja Turtles game!  They made Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, if you weren't sure who Platinum is.

I prefer to remember them as the team behind Bayonetta, thank you very much.  :p
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:36:32 AM by Kethrian »
What do I win?

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2016, 10:08:03 AM »
@UPPERS: Did that guy just uppercut that other guy into a helicopter and bring the helicopter down?
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.