Author Topic: Warforged Senses  (Read 9572 times)

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Warforged Senses
« on: October 13, 2017, 01:59:24 PM »
What, and if they have them to what degree, do Warforged possess of the normal 5 humans senses? (taste, sight, touch, smell, and hearing)

Thanks,
Necro

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Warforged Senses
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 03:39:15 PM »
Humans don't have five senses so I presume WF don't either.

Interception senses are far too numerous to really count, most of them are chemoreceptors and produce things like hunger, thirst, and the desire to breath. The exteroceptive senses are how you perceive the outside world but stuff like temperature and pain run on their own pathways and are not a branch of "touch". Then there is stuff like equilibrioception & chronoception which are more of your brain monitoring it's self allowing it to track position and time.

But to better answer your unanswerable question, the mechanical benefits of a WF's senses are listed. So for example you think they should have electroception, then it should simply be too minute for them to accurately tell which direction is magnetic north.

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 04:05:14 PM »
Warforged don't have the Sightless special quality, and they're not immune to Blindness. Vision: normal.

Warforged don't have immunity to Deafness. Hearing: normal.

Warforged don't have immunity to poking. Touch: normal.

Warforged don't have any restriction against gaining Scent. Smell: normal.

Warforged do have immunity to Nausea, and are noted for not eating. Taste: different.

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 12:57:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

(A) I didn't think it was an unreasonable question considering WF anatomy. Especially regarding taste and smell, IMHO.

(B) I did not mean to imply that humans only have five senses or that only five senses are possible. I meant out of the five major senses that human's DO possess, what and to what degree do warforges also possess them.

(C) Does the following imply that they do not natively have a sense of smell?

Tracker Mask (attached component): Crafted to fit above the mouth of a warforged, this thin mask is a peaked band of silvery metal with ventlike structures that fall under the eyes when worn. Originally created for use by warforged reconnaissance troops, the tracker mask grants its wearer the scent ability (see page 314 of the Monster Manual). However, many warforged covet this item because it gives them the ability to smell all scents, not merely those of a  creature being tracked. The mask occupies space on the body as goggles and fuses with the wearer’s face when donned, forming a nose ridge with the slatted vents on either side.
Faint divination; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, owl’s
wisdom; Price 18,000 gp; Weight 1 lb.
Source: races of eberron, page 176

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 01:32:03 PM »
Including that item would seem to add a sense restriction to the base Warforged, yes. But the restriction didn't exist until the supplement, which makes it a bit suspect to me.

I mean, a Warforged Warblade could use the Hunter's Sense stance to gain Scent. It could do that without the mask component. If a base Warforged can't smell without that component, there's a rules dysfunction.

I err on the side of not causing a rules dysfunction. Therefore, my Warforged can and do smell.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 02:11:28 PM »
I always thought of it as that warforged can tell that there is a smell, if not necessarily what it is. so an entirely non-discriminatory sense of smell. basically a linear sense: is there a smell? Y/N. is there a lot of smell(s)? Y/N. and that's pretty much it. gaining the scent ability allows them to tell the differences between types of smells and appreciate things that smell good and/or bad. However they gained the scent ability.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 10:32:21 PM »
Vision and hearing are definitely normal, and it can be assumed touch as well (having no sense of touch would cause problems operating in the world).

Taste and smell, on the other hand, I'm inclined they do not normally have.  We have have the quoted warforged component which says they don't normally.  Taste is an extension of scent, but since warforged don't eat, they really don't need it at all.

Now I see a Warforged Egoist shapeshifting into human form running about a market stuffing baked goods into his mouth.  Probably loaded with cinnamon...
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 10:23:44 AM »
Now I see a Warforged Egoist shapeshifting into human form running about a market stuffing baked goods into his mouth.  Probably loaded with cinnamon...

Fresh Cinnamon-forged™ buns... all the rage in Sharn. The "HOT" sign is on....  :D

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 03:44:03 PM »
Any Psion could experience the taste of anything visible, just by manifesting Cinnamonaesthesia.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 06:45:40 PM »
No spine tingling for Warforged cause they have no "spines" to speak of.
So the old Youza! reaction feels different ...

Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Ithamar

• I'm not new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 01:37:49 PM »
From here, the creator of Eberron writes:

Quote from: Keith Baker
Warforged Senses:  The warforged possess the same five senses that human beings do: sight, smell, hearing, touch, and even taste. They do not perceive the world in precisely the same way as humans do, and many of these senses are fairly dull in comparison to those of creatures of flesh and blood. But a warforged can smell smoke in the air and can gauge the extent of an injury by the pain that it feels. Many warforged value the magical component known as the tracker mask because it expands their sense of smell, allowing them to experience the world in a new way. But a warforged can still smell strong odors without the mask.

The warforged sense of taste is one of the mysteries of the race. It has little value to a soldier and creature that has no need of food. In fact, this is not something that was designed by the artificers of House Cannith. Warforged are not automatons, and not every aspect of the warforged is the result of human planning: They are creatures of magic that defy natural law. A warforged is a creature of stone and wood, yet it can feel love and hate. Is it any stranger that it should be able to smell and taste?