Author Topic: The conversation that is not by the fictional people (OOC)  (Read 27084 times)

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: The conversation that is not by the fictional people (OOC)
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2014, 11:47:47 AM »
Actually, it is possible for someone to have used maker "technology" to have tried to combine and whole bunch of different species to make something?
I'm sure it's been tried, though in general their methods are gone with them. Or it could have simply been epic magic - it's still capable of such feats, and unlike the Makers, I don't have to be secretive about it :D.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2014, 12:48:58 PM »
Actually, it is possible for someone to have used maker "technology" to have tried to combine and whole bunch of different species to make something?
I'm sure it's been tried, though in general their methods are gone with them. Or it could have simply been epic magic - it's still capable of such feats, and unlike the Makers, I don't have to be secretive about it :D.

Backstory is done.  Not great, but done.

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2014, 10:14:20 PM »
Hey everybody! Now that we have most backstories in place, and an idea of where our characters have been, I’ve been reading those backstories, and I notice that some characters could know each other.

I’m always up for that at the beginning of a game, in part because it makes the storyline richer and breathes some life into the characters from the start, and in part because it gets at least some of the characters working together from the start. (Quill, if we’re supposed to not know each other, that’s fine too.)

Markus grew up in a village on the coast of the Adamant Sea. Then he was forced from town, and (so I assume) is now wandering to find another place to explore the use of his new-found abilities. This is the territory where CaraVela sails; she might have met Markus earlier in his village, or later after he began to travel, or maybe even during the crab attack if she was on a ship that stopped to help the village.

Kirnon grew up near the Eastwood, most of which is quite a distance inland from the Adamant Sea. However, he too has discovered gifts to explore that set him apart from his village. If he has left his village to explore his gifts, the easiest travel is downriver toward the Adamant Sea. This could take Kirnon down to the lowland areas where he might have met Markus, CaraVela, or both. Or instead, if Kirnon went into any of the neighboring mountain ranges near Eastwood, he might have met CaraVela on one of her exploration trips in those areas.

CaraVela has spent more time on the seas and coasts than anywhere else that she has been in the world, but also has been upriver and into mountain country around the area on Quill’s world map. She hasn’t been into Eastwood, but has been in the various mountain ranges that nearly surround it. She could have met Markus most easily, Kirnon possibly, and any of the rest of the characters depending on where they have been.

Friz has been at the Yun Shin monastery. Depending on where the monastery is, he could have met any of the rest of the characters. If it’s far from everywhere else around the Adamant Sea, then it depends on whether he has already traveled away, unless it’s in or near Eastwood, where Kirnon has been, or in the mountains – a common place for monasteries – where CaraVela has been.

Qoden’s story is still to be written; he could be where any of the rest of us have been – or not.

For coastal or sea travelers the easiest character to have met is CaraVela (assuming Quill is OK with her backstory), but any of us could have met, which also means we all could already have met.

If we all (or any of us) spent any time living in the same location as each other, the port on the Adamant Sea downriver from the western edge of Eastwood seems like it might be a likely location. I’m not at all sure of the spelling, but it looks like it might be Wota, in the region named Vassar.

What do you all think? What are your preferences? Depending on how you feel, maybe some of us know each other and some don’t.

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2014, 02:16:49 PM »
If we all (or any of us) spent any time living in the same location as each other, the port on the Adamant Sea downriver from the western edge of Eastwood seems like it might be a likely location. I’m not at all sure of the spelling, but it looks like it might be Wota, in the region named Vassar.
... Can't read my own writing, but... that's supposed to be Ileoja, I think.

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2014, 05:40:17 AM »
Quill –

Here’s a question that I’ve put into a spoiler just so I don’t take up much room on the thread, as a courtesy to everyone.

(click to show/hide)

EDIT: Made it harder to use; details of the EDIT are inside the spoiler.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:32:16 PM by MetroMagic »

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2014, 03:15:50 AM »
Quill and all –

Ileoja! Cool. The great city, such as there is one.

It’s a great place for any of us to have met, and it’s a destination that could attract any of us who are interested in expanding our horizons.

There is one requirement, though: To get in, you have to have a specific Arcane Mark to pass the wards the Makers set in place, according to the World writeup.

How do we get the Arcane Mark? Report to the guards at the city gate? Pay an entrance fee? Have a citizen already in the city accept responsibility for the newcomer? Can someone else cast the correct Arcane Mark if they know what it looks like, so people pay for the privilege of having someone cast it on them… a niche business for the caster?

The typical Arcane Mark lasts only about a month on a living creature, then it wears off. Do people have to get it re-cast monthly to stay in the city, which is a pretty good way of keeping the residents on good behavior? Or does this particular Arcane Mark not wear off – once you have it, you’ve got it permanently?

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2014, 11:05:08 AM »
Re: the long portal question: I'm a little busy & can't take a thorough look right now. Your idea seems fine, though. Portals are pretty common in many areas, too; you could probably find them via mundane methods and patience.

Quill and all –

Ileoja! Cool. The great city, such as there is one.

It’s a great place for any of us to have met, and it’s a destination that could attract any of us who are interested in expanding our horizons.

There is one requirement, though: To get in, you have to have a specific Arcane Mark to pass the wards the Makers set in place, according to the World writeup.

How do we get the Arcane Mark?
You report to the guards, yes. It's considered the city's mark, so the guard's casters can make it, but mages not in the city's pay can't (with the arcane mark spell, anyway; of course people have created other ways to forge it).
The mark does wear off normally (though you can - and many do - have it metamagic extended for an extra fee) but a permanent version has been created for citizens.

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2014, 06:54:05 PM »
Re: the long portal question: I'm a little busy & can't take a thorough look right now. Your idea seems fine, though.

Quill – When you do get a chance – based on your tentative approval, I added a summary section to CaraVela on the Characters thread called Spelljammers, Traveling, and Portals in the spoiler, to make it easy for you to find in the character description.

It doesn’t contain (or need) the whole discussion, so I stripped it down to the necessities to read: a brief intro paragraph and the four bullet points, which is enough to say exactly what and why. FYI, it includes the tougher restrictions on using the abilities that I edited into the OOC post  – higher DC, longer time to retry, etc., so I didn’t separately identify them, but they are built in.

If you’d like any further tweaks, LMK… Thanks!

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2014, 10:17:42 PM »
Even though Quill is posting only occasionally in February… If the Superbowl can have a 4 1/2 hour pre-game show, so can we :D

Zook – You already posted Friz once on the Fictional People Are Real thread, so if you’re interested, we can work out whether you’ve met any of us already. Depends on where the monastery is, or whether he’s traveled from there into the rest of the world. If the monastery is in the mountains ringing the Eastwood, or near Kazs, a little south of Eastwood (see the World map) Friz could have met Kirnon there. Or CaraVela in her upriver travels. So – where would you figure the monastery to be? What sort of terrain? Or, where would Friz go after the monastery?

Nanshork – You posted a “no preference” which I guess means you could be into a pregame show, if it’s fun, so we could work out some details for Kirnon and CaraVela’s pregame play too. Where would Kirnon go after Eastwood?

For everyone’s convenience, I pasted Quill’s IMG for the World map here.
(click to show/hide)

I don’t know if CaraVela’s bungalow on the outskirts of Ileoja qualifies her as a citizen, but… no matter. Either way, she can be found in Ileoja from time to time, so she has a temporary Mark, or a permanent one, and apparently Friz and Kirnon could get a Mark if they wanted to go into Ileoja. That city is a destination for anyone looking for travel. If you’re in Ileoja, an easy way to meet CaraVela is in the common room at a sailor’s inn, which is where you might go to arrange passage to wherever else you’d like to go. Those inns can be rough places, but CaraVela usually goes into ones where she recognizes sailors she has traveled with before, or goes in when she arrives on a ship, along with the sailors she arrived with. That way, they already know her, and she sits with them, and that tends to deflect the other sailors in the inn who don’t know her from coming up to the table where she is sitting and making their attentions too forceful. So... a sailors’ inn in Ileoja is an easy option.

Another way to meet – if the three of us just happen to be on the same riverboat sailing out of Kazs downriver from Eastwood to Nera, then it’s easy.

Anyone else interested in a pregame show, please join in!

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2014, 10:50:48 PM »
I was thinking Friz was going on a spiritual journey heading away from a small monastery in the foothills of those couple mountains near the middle of Eastwood.

the temple would be not so mountainous as the Tibet ones, but similar.

he could easily meet Kirnon on his way east.
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2014, 02:25:50 AM »
I was thinking Friz was going on a spiritual journey heading away from a small monastery in the foothills of those couple mountains near the middle of Eastwood.

the temple would be not so mountainous as the Tibet ones, but similar.

he could easily meet Kirnon on his way east.

OK, cool!

All of the following is “if approved by Quill”, of course: some ideas that could help to ground our characters in the World of the Makers.

All please forgive the enthusiasm this novel’s worth of reading represents – I just can’t wait to start playing my character, and the game, and I guess it shows. And gaming is a collaborative effort, so I intend this as a starting point; please change it up any way that pleases you better.

I put two tiny red dots on the updated map in the spoiler, and connected them with a thin green dotted curvy line. First I’ll talk about where and what they are, and then I’ll describe a little more likely detail about them, “if approved”.
  • One of the red dots is the monastery. I placed it just to the east of that small central mountainous group – I think that’s the one you meant, Zook, out a little way from the mountains into what probably is a foothills region – to match what you said: not as mountainous as Tibet.
  • The other red dot is on the lake that lies east of the monastery across the southern reaches of Eastwood. If there is a lake, there are probably a few tiny fishing settlements, gatherings of five or ten houses of families or clans that use the lake for their food supply. The red dot is one of the larger settlements. I’ll explain why, below.
  • The green curvy line is a path through the southern part of Eastwood between the monastery and the lake.

(click to show/hide)

The monastery, and its path through Eastwood to the lake:

Small streams run down out of mountains, too small to show on a map on the scale of the World Map. (They are on CaraVela’s maps, though; sun glint turns even a tiny stream to a ribbon of molten gold, strikingly visible from a few miles up.) One such stream runs by a monastery in the steep foothills; access to its fresh water is one reason the monastery is located where it is.

In the foothills around the monastery, the stream runs on the surface rather than underground because the rocky soil pushes the water table up within a few feet of the surface, but as the stream wends its way into the forest of Eastwood, it sinks down into the thick topsoil and runs mostly underground, following the water table that gets deeper year by year beneath the weight of old leaves and decaying wood. Following the roll of the rocky folds beneath the forest on its way to the lake, occasionally the stream reappears in pools and ponds on the surface, wherever it has cut a dell into the soft soil.

The monastery is named Yun Shin, “New Cloud” in the common tongue {as translated from Chinese}; it faces east into the rising sun where the clouds of light spring over the horizon new each morning. The monastery leans against the mountainous foothill to the west; a path to the east comes right to the monastery’s stair, the same steps where Friz was left for the monks to find. Travelers on the path, well-worn over centuries or more, between the monastery and the lake, follow the stream’s course though they may not know it, as they too pass from dell to dell for shelter and water along the route. A week of travel on horseback, and two or more on foot, the road is not as hard as some, even though the Eastwood can be a wild and dangerous place, especially at night when the shelter of a dell is very welcome, with a rocky wall at a traveler’s back and a pool of water at their feet, lying between their sleeping roll and the forested wilderness beyond.

At the lake end of the path, the stream contributes to the headwaters of the much larger river running down to Kazs, the nearest rivertrade port toward the lowlands. Where the path and the lake come together, trade supplements the fishing village there, and it has grown to be the largest of the fishing settlements around the lake, the landing where the riverboats come with lowland goods. Besides its dozen or so houses, the village has a general store, and the trades that take special skills or equipment: a smithy, a cooper, a healer, a cobbler, a glassmaster. Farm and fishing families can work leather, metal, wax and wool on their own, but the practiced hand of a master can make goods more durable, useful, and of greater variety than a farmer’s can.

Life in the lake settlements is as hard as the wind and weather. In the warm seasons, the winds rolling off the distant seas are funneled lakeward by the eastern and western ranges, increasing their intensity from offshore breezes into gusts that ripple the lakes and crackle through the trees. The fishermen rely on the steady winds out of the south to tack across the length and breadth of the lake. In the long colder season, frozen storms howling south off the northern mountains, with their short days and thin sun, are bottled up by the eastern and western ranges, and the strong fronts to the south against the wet, heavy air pushing inland from the sea. The cold can last for many months, and even in the southern reaches of Eastwood, the lakes freeze most winters; lake settlements have boats and rope nets for summer, and picks and pole nets for winter, to be able to eat all year round.

River trade runs from late spring to late fall, between freezes; in that warmer time, stores for the winter make their way north, and raw goods for the lowlands travel south. By late fall, a small caravan back to the monastery brings the final load of thimbles and needles, barrels and lowland herbs, back across the trail through Eastwood to tide the monks through the winter.

If Friz is traveling east from the monastery on the trail – also a journey toward his roots, perhaps, since the path at the stair where he was left leads to the east – and a journey toward the new clouds of the rising sun from which the monastery takes its name – he might well come to the lake; perhaps he began his spiritual journey after the last frost, in early spring – a classic time for spiritual renewal. Especially with the big celestial event on the spring Equinox about to happen, an event even more especially important to a journey toward the sun – more on this later!

If Kirnon grew up near Eastwood, he could have lived near the lake, and there could be good reason for it. His “parents”, the family who raised him, would likely not have been chosen at random; they would have been chosen with care. Also it might not be likely that they were simple lakelander fishermen, for whom a strange child might be too difficult to accept at all. Rather more likely that they came upriver from the lowlands, bringing more worldly experience that would help them with such a child. Why then raise Kirnon in the lake country? A less important reason: It could be a place where he could grow up undisturbed, far more privately than in a lowland city, as he came into his powers. A far more important reason: It could be a place where his powers could come into their own, possibly maturing in just the right setting to become fully expressed. A place of water. A place of howling wind. And a place of shadow: the largest shadow in the World. For the lake could be the very place in the world where the Equinox eclipses occur: at noon on each Equinox, spring and fall, perhaps where the perfectly regular moon’s path intersects the sun’s path with mathematical precision, and its shadow comes down onto the lake country for six minutes of totality –so perfect it may be, in this World’s creation.

Water, wind, and shadow could have steeped into Kirnon, echoing in his Blood in just the way he was made. And when it came time for him to leave his elemental cradle, this lake country, perhaps he might now simply have come to this lake and its trading village for the riverboat that would take him south, anticipating the first riverboat in early spring, arriving with the gawkers coming to witness the spring Equinox eclipse.

That would place both Kirnon and Friz in the same village at the same time, waiting for the riverboat coming up from Kazs. And… CaraVela might be on that riverboat, coming up from Kazs to enjoy the eclipse herself, pick up an order she placed last fall for specialty glass, and raw sand; perhaps this lake bottom has some of the finest sand in the Makers’ World, and so the glassmaster here is among those who make the best Magic-grade glass items, despite or because of the remote location.

Friz, Kirnon, CaraVela; little do the three of them know that the spring Equinox eclipse may have special meaning to each of them, far beyond its wondrous appearance to the other onlookers. For Friz, it may represent a renewal of the sun, a namesake event sacred to the Yun Shin Monastery. For Kirnon, it may represent a celestial acknowledgement of the supreme strength of conquering Shadow, that courses through his blood. For CaraVela, it brings her back in memory to the moon and her years long journey to walk on it so long ago, and the grand majesty of moons, planets, stars, and galaxies moving across the void that stirs her soul. Special to each, and yet so different to each, in their own unique way: For Friz, Sun. For Kirnon, Shadow. For CaraVela, Moon. Three travelers; the three aspects of the eclipse.

And if the three possibly are together at that time, on the riverboat out in the middle of the lake where the viewing of the eclipse is at its unobstructed best, they might each sense that the other two have been deeply, deeply moved, far more so than the rest of the onlookers around them… a subtle bond and sense of power among the three of them that the other onlookers cannot share.

Just some ideas that might appeal to you to round out our places in the world (with Quill’s approval)! How does this seem to fit, for Friz and Kirnon? As I said at the beginning, this is just a beginning. Change it up any way you like, or run with it in whatever direction.

Whatever we decide to do with this, it was fun to write!

EDIT: fixed tpyos :-)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 02:58:07 AM by MetroMagic »

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2014, 03:18:34 PM »
For everyone’s convenience, I pasted Quill’s IMG for the World map here.
(click to show/hide)
I should upload a clearer version of that sometime. It's too bloody hard to read.

All please forgive the enthusiasm this novel’s worth of reading represents
That's certainly not a problem; you write quite vividly.

For the lake could be the very place in the world where the Equinox eclipses occur: at noon on each Equinox, spring and fall, perhaps where the perfectly regular moon’s path intersects the sun’s path with mathematical precision, and its shadow comes down onto the lake country for six minutes of totality –so perfect it may be, in this World’s creation.
That's not a thing, I'm afraid; this world is not spherical, and eclipses cover the whole of it.

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2014, 04:27:07 AM »
That's certainly not a problem; you write quite vividly.

Thanks! Nice to be appreciated.

For the lake could be the very place in the world where the Equinox eclipses occur: at noon on each Equinox, spring and fall, perhaps where the perfectly regular moon’s path intersects the sun’s path with mathematical precision, and its shadow comes down onto the lake country for six minutes of totality –so perfect it may be, in this World’s creation.
That's not a thing, I'm afraid; this world is not spherical, and eclipses cover the whole of it.

Got it. Not necessarily a problem for the general ideas, though the details would need a little alteration, and thinking about it more carefully led to a little more Story inspiration. How about this? It brings in the Portal theme, and could even tie everything together even better.

The main idea is this: whatever its true shape, the moon appears round to skyviewers in the world, or so I assume, and so its shadow is rounded as well, even if it is big enough to cover the world. And thus…

For the lake could be the very place in the world where the Equinox eclipses are at their deepest. The moon appears round, whether a disk, or a sphere, or an egg turned end-on, most people do not know, but curved it appears, and therefore so are the leading and trailing edges of its shadow curved. And so, even as the shadow is so large that it envelops the whole world, the darkness passes more quickly at some climes, and more slowly at others; the shadow is deepest and longest at its center. At noon on each Equinox, spring and fall, perhaps where the perfectly regular moon’s path intersects the sun’s path with mathematical precision, and its shadow comes down onto the lake country, it falls for six minutes of totality, the longest and deepest shadow of all in the world –so perfect it may be, in this World’s creation.

At the moment of greatest depth, for seconds in the middle of this time, on the far-off moon in the apparent center of its roundness, a momentary Portal to Shadow appears, and the power of Shadow pours out on the world. Its greatest strength is on the path of the center of shadow through the lake, and one terminus – only a part of a second behind the center, given the great speed of the shadow’s motion – lies just at the Monastery, the other and better reason why the Monastery is just where it is, to affirm the return of the sun in a new cloud of light, not only at each daybreak, but after each eclipse.

The path of the underground stream follows the path of that Shadow between lake and Monastery, perhaps the best of reasons for monks from the Monastery to follow it, as Friz does, walking toward this day.

And the spilling of Shadow across the land is perhaps the best of reasons for Kirnon to have grown by the lake, immersed simultaneously in both water and Shadow while the winds howl overhead, at the very heart of Shadow twice each year in his youth.

Likewise, the best reason for such a Glassmaster to practice his craft at this lake is the confluence of Shadow, and the magic-grade sand needed to contain it in glass. That is the true secret of his trade: Shadow captured within glass has many uses to other crafters and practitioners of Magic, for ghost-touch armor and weapons, and other makings and castings. And that is the true secret of CaraVela’s visit on this particular day, not just as a tourist, but to obtain from the glassmaster some carefully packed flasks of Shadowstuff for a lowlands buyer.

Sun, Moon, Shadow, each of them representing the three aspects of the Equinox eclipse.

I didn’t integrate this text into the previous post yet – first, it’s easier to see the changes as a stand-alone; second, others may have suggestions, ideas, whatever, that may change part or all of it, to fit Friz or Kirnon better. Zook, Nanshork, please feel free! I just intend to put something together for us to work from, not necessarily to create a finished product all by myself. Friz and Kernon are your characters; this suggested pre-game story is about all three of us.

EDIT: Typo
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 05:01:07 AM by MetroMagic »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2014, 08:56:35 AM »
Sorry I haven't given any input, that's a lot of post and I haven't had time to read it all.

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2014, 10:39:17 PM »
Sorry I haven't given any input, that's a lot of post and I haven't had time to read it all.

Yah, sorry. Wall-o-text.

Here is a bite-size summary of the post.

I started from Kirnon’s backstory and character description: Growing up near Eastwood, was made, has a “mother”, his three initial bloodlines, and the idea that he knows he’s very different from everyone else.

I mixed in the location of the monastery for Friz, its name in Chinese, and that he is going due east on a spiritual journey. And CaraVela’s river travels, looking for material components for casters and crafters.

The intersection of all this was the lake due east of the monastery. What happens around lakes in areas that are mostly wild, not much civilization? Fishing settlements, and possibly some river trade.

So, why would Kirnon grow up around that lake? First, about growing up: Since he was made, his “mother” might have been chosen, not just random, but either way, to be able to handle him she would be better equipped by being more widely experienced than a fishing villager would probably be, and the more widely experienced people live in the trading cities which are usually located on the seas – so she’s more likely to be a lowlander. Why go to the Eastwood? Maybe to let him grow up out of the public eye – people might realize more about Kirnon, in a city – and why that lake? It’s a place where he can live in, and soak up, the aspects of his bloodlines to help their powers mature. There are howling storms coming down out of the Norseland mountains to the north, that’s the dragon blood. The lake itself covers the water element. How about shadow? That’s the eclipse.

The eclipse ties in Friz and the monastery too, a monastery that faces east into the rising sun, based on where Zook located it. And to make it easy for everyone to be coming to the lake at the same time, the eclipse happens on a well-known schedule. The glassmaster working with Shadow was a reason for CaraVela to be there at the same time as everyone else.

It worked out very cool, each of them bringing something tied to their backstory: Kirnon, shadow; Friz, the sun; CaraVela, the moon - the three aspects of the eclipse. That’s why an eclipse, which in itself adds some high drama and mystery.

That’s’ the “short version”  :D

Offline MetroMagic

• PbP Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2014, 11:16:08 PM »
Hey, Genius (or do you prefer Savant) – I didn’t intend to leave out Markus.

He’s a Lesser Arctic Ice Paragenasi, so his roots could be from up in the Norseland mountains, even if his family located on the Adamant Sea.

Since as you said he has left his village behind and started travelling, to explore his powers he could also be on that first riverboat going up to the lake, after the thaw before the equinox that announces the start of spring.

He might like the weather, with small bergs of ice still floating downriver, and the frost just coming off the trees, even the chance of a late season storm out of the northern mountains bringing a brief blizzard down into the lake country.

There could be some interesting aquatic life in that lake, known for its ice fishing all through the winter – creatures an Arctic Ice Paragenasi might like for his Xenoalchemist experiments.

Just a thought, for your consideration. Don’t want to leave anyone out who wants to be in.

FITS – same for you, about Qoden.

Whatever else is in his background, just from being a Dwaerrow, Qoden could have come out of the mountains that ring Eastwood and be going to the lake for the eclipse – Dwaerrow are extra-sensitive to feeling the energy flows of the Universe, so he could also be drawn to the lake at that time, wanting to experience what happens there.

Qoden might even be coming out of the mountains just west of the monastery where Friz was; the two of them might have met on the road to the lake.

Again, just a thought, for your consideration, not to leave you out of the pre-game.

Offline Quillwraith

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2014, 05:43:12 PM »
The main idea is this: whatever its true shape, the moon appears round to skyviewers in the world…
...it falls for six minutes of totality, the longest and deepest shadow of all in the world –so perfect it may be, in this World’s creation.
I think that checks out.
At the moment of greatest depth, for seconds in the middle of this time, on the far-off moon in the apparent center of its roundness, a momentary Portal to Shadow appears...
...And the spilling of Shadow across the land is perhaps the best of reasons for Kirnon to have grown by the lake, immersed simultaneously in both water and Shadow while the winds howl overhead, at the very heart of Shadow twice each year in his youth.
If Zook & Nanshork agree, than it's fine by me.

Shadow captured within glass has many uses to other crafters and practitioners of Magic, for ghost-touch armor and weapons, and other makings and castings. And that is the true secret of CaraVela’s visit on this particular day, not just as a tourist, but to obtain from the glassmaster some carefully packed flasks of Shadowstuff for a lowlands buyer.

Sun, Moon, Shadow, each of them representing the three aspects of the Equinox eclipse.
Whether or not it ends up happening, that's pretty clever

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2014, 01:47:26 AM »
That's fine by me
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground