Author Topic: Super Pilot and Super Robots  (Read 15247 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Super Pilot and Super Robots
« on: September 13, 2012, 04:28:15 PM »
Super Pilot

I'm Sanger. Sanger Zonvolt! The sword that smites evil!

Super Pilots are individuals that ride machines that are usually as  highly spirited as themselves. They charge right ahead and perform flashy attacks, facing the enemy directly and without fear.

(click to show/hide)

HD:12
Level BAB Fort Ref Will FeatureManeuvers KnownStances Known
1 +1 +0+0 +2 Super Robot,  Maneuvers, Favored Maneuver +1, Spirited11
2+2 +0+0 +3 Bonus Feat22
3+3 +1+1 +3 Spirit32
4+4 +1 +1+4 Arsenal I42
5+5 +1 +1 +4 Bonus Feat53
6+6 +2+2+5 Favored Maneuver +2/+163
7+7 +2 +2 +5Arsenal II73
8+8 +2 +2 +6  Spirit83
9+9  +3+3 +6 Bonus Feat93
10+10 +3+3 +7 Arsenal III103
11+11 +3 +3+7 Spirit114
12+12 +4 +4+8 Favored Maneuver +3/+2/+1124
13+13 +4 +4 +8 Arsenal IV134
14+14 +4 +4 +9 Spirit144
15+15 +5 +5 +9 Bonus Feat155
16+16 +5 +5 +10 Arsenal V165
17+17 +5 +5+10 Spirit175
18+18 +6+6 +11 Favored Maneuver +4/+3/+2/+1185
19 +19 +6 +6 +11 Arsenal VI195
20+20 +6 +6 +12 Hidden Power, Bonus Feat205

4 Skill points+int per level, ×4 at 1st level. Class skills: Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Craft(any), Climb, Concentration, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Jump, Hide, Intimidate, Listen, Knowledge(any), Move Silently, Spot, Perform, Profession (any), Sense Motive, Swim, Tumble.

Proficiencies: A Super Robot Pilot is proficient with simple and martial weapons, firearms and mechas.

Features:
Super Robot: The super pilot comes in possession of a powerful mecha by fate or luck (the details of which should be discussed with the DM), which, at 1st level grants him access to a basic super robot. If the Super Robot is reduced to 0 HP the Super Pilot will have to undergo some redeeming quest to make it rise again from its wreckage. If the Super Pilot is at least 4th level,  his Super Robot can rise itself right after 10 minutes of its pilot crying and shouting, but it will be three levels lower than he would normally have acess to while on his redeeming quest (including arsenal options).

The super robot grows in power together with the super pilot as he gains levels. More details on the Super Robot chart.

Maneuvers: The Super Pilot learns maneuvers and Stances from the Burning Justice and Into the Danger Zone schools as shown on the table. To learn a maneuver of a given level, he must have a Pilot Level of double the maneuver level, less one.  His Pilot level is equal to his Super Pilot level plus half of his other levels.

Your personal super robot automatically knows all maneuvers and stances you learned from super pilot levels. If you're piloting another person's super robot (either borrowed or stolen), you can use any maneuvers that super robot knows without you knowing them yourself, but you use the super robot's level instead of your own level for the purposes of those maneuvers.

Favored Maneuver:
At 1st level, pick one of your known maneuvers. That maneuver has a pilot level of 1 higher than normal whenever you use it. At 6th level and every 6 levels thereafter, you gain another favored maneuver, and increases the bonus to your existing favored maneuvers by 1.

You may change your favored maneuvers whenever you gain another level in Super Pilot.

Spirited:Each level of Super Pilot increases the maximum number of spirit points of the character by 8. In addition the character learns one spirit, and whenever "Spirit" appears on the table he learns one more.

Spirits can be used as a free action at the beginning of your turn by paying their cost in spirit points (before you take any other action). You recover 5 spirit points per round up to your maximum. You can use multiple spirits in a turn, but only once each kind of spirit. Spirits that trigger in a condition, such as valor and alert, last 1 minute and are lost if not triggered by the end of the duration.

Spirit List

Bonus Feat:Whenever this ability shows up, the Super Pilot gains a feat from the list of pilot feats.

Arsenal: At 4th level, the super robot gains some kind of patronage which supplies an array of basic swappable weapons and accessories to further customize his mecha, although not as good as those of a Real Pilot. He may only choose weapons of up to the level indicated on the Super Pilot table (I at level 4, II at level 7, ect). Those weapons can be reloaded and/or swapped whenever the patronage entity is contacted. Refer to the Arsenal list for details.

Hidden Power:
At 20th level, 1/hour as an immediate action the Super Pilot can gain 4 Upgrade Points for his Super Mecha that need to be spent right away. They can go over the regular Upgrade Point Pilot level limits (however not HD limits such as Growth and Hyperdimensional storage), but they only last 1 minute.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 01:40:48 AM by oslecamo »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Super Pilot and Super Robots
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 02:32:39 PM »
Super Robots List

There's no such thing as an average Super Robot. They each are unique to their own pilots.

Base stats:
(click to show/hide)

Upgrades:

(click to show/hide)

Ultimate Upgrades:

(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 11:58:06 PM by oslecamo »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 09:02:09 PM »
Reserved.

Offline Felyndiira

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 08:56:14 AM »
Hello Oslo.

I couldn't find this information anywhere, so I wanted to ask to confirm - when a super robot gains an in-built weapon through the Extra upgrade, are there any rules for determining the damage and other stats of this weapon?  Are we supposed to use an Arsenal weapon as base, or a default D&D weapon?

Since the in-built weapons can be ranged according to the other upgrades, I'm assuming that it's not always going to be the 1d10 sword mentioned in the "basic stats" section.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 10:38:29 AM »
The weapons gained by the Extra upgrade are the same as the basic in-built, the 1d10 melee.

The mentions of ranged in other upgrades is for multi-class supers since in those cases you can end with ranged in-built weapons too.

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 12:14:02 PM »
Skills aren't nerfed by Zero Arts are they?

I'm assuming its other combat abilities?

Do Zero Pattern and similar have an effect outside of a mecha?

Zero Fog - Says it only effects those with immunity resistance

Zero Range - Says Fog. If its intentional, mention it needs Zero Fog.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 12:15:52 AM »
Skills aren't nerfed by Zero Arts are they?

I'm assuming its other combat abilities?
You assume correctly.

Do Zero Pattern and similar have an effect outside of a mecha?
Not uness otherwise noted, clarified.

Zero Fog - Says it only effects those with immunity resistance
Fixed.

Zero Range - Says Fog. If its intentional, mention it needs Zero Fog.
Not tupposed to be dependent, fixed.

Offline Theseventh

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 12:03:22 PM »
Any plans to get back to this and clean up the Upgrade list? A few notable ones that stand out are the Zero State description just being an ugly block of text that could probably stand to be broken up at least once somewhere. Berserk seems to give no indication how you activate it or how long it lasts. Unless that is covered in a different section of the project and I just missed it last go around. Also those berserk upgrades in general seem oddly worded. I would also suggest moving the Great upgrade options next to the Tek Knight and Zero Pattern ones if only because they seem to be in the same vein.

Wouldn't the Darling Drive be less wordy if it just granted the feat that does the same thing as a Bonus Feat? Then throw some qualifiers on it.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 10:02:45 PM »
Any plans to get back to this and clean up the Upgrade list? A few notable ones that stand out are the Zero State description just being an ugly block of text that could probably stand to be broken up at least once somewhere.
Done, although if anybody has better suggestions I'll edit them in.

Berserk seems to give no indication how you activate it or how long it lasts. Unless that is covered in a different section of the project and I just missed it last go around. Also those berserk upgrades in general seem oddly worded.
It's a new mecha special property added relatively recently.

I would also suggest moving the Great upgrade options next to the Tek Knight and Zero Pattern ones if only because they seem to be in the same vein.
That sounds a bit arbitrary. If anything Great One is at least in alphabetical order. Kinda. Re-organized upgrades by alphabetical order for consistency's sake, if anybody has a better plan then do it and send me the text code so I can edit it in.

Wouldn't the Darling Drive be less wordy if it just granted the feat that does the same thing as a Bonus Feat? Then throw some qualifiers on it.

Too many key differences so it would basically end the same size. Maybe I could save a few words but it would't be worth the extra trouble of needing to check another thread. Again if you can write cleaner (at least half the words than it is now), do it and I'll edit it in.

Offline Fzzr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 07:37:29 PM »
In Super Robot, Gravity Engine, Miniaturization, Sentient (twice), and Transform (Fighter once, Tank twice) "it's" should be "its".

Hyperdimensional Step should specify that it doesn't work when taking a 5ft step. Is it intended to work when moving as part of eg. full attacks using an area melee weapon, maneuver, etc?

Should King/Emperor Frame require pilot level 8/16 or Super Pilot level 8/16?

What happens when a mecha with King Frame is in a combined robot with a mecha with a different tek/great/zero option?

Grouping Great, Zero, Tek, King, and Emperor makes sense to me. I'd say put them all together at the end. Here's the code (plus a bunch of grammar and spelling changes). Please make sure I kept the meanings of things correct.
Great One: Choose one of the following options. This option costs 4 points and can only be taken once. For Super Robots that can change size, count only the smallest one possible for bonuses based on size. (For example, if your robot had a medium and huge forms, it would only count as medium.) If your mecha is bigger than colossal, it simply counts as colossal. Any penalties apply to your current relevant value.

(click to show/hide)

Tek Knight: Choose one of the following options. This upgrade costs 4 points and can only be taken once. For Super Robots that can change size, count only the largest one possible for bonuses based on size (For example, if your robot had a medium and tiny forms, it would only count as medium.) If your mecha is smaller than fine, it simply counts as fine. Any penalties apply to your current relevant value.

(click to show/hide)

Zero Pattern: Choose one of the following options. This option costs 4 points and can only be taken once. For Super Robots that can change size, count only the one furthest away from medium for penalties based on size. (For example if your robot had medium and tiny forms, it would only count as tiny.) Those effects only apply while piloting the Super Robot.
(click to show/hide)

King Frame: You need pilot level 8 plus only one of Great One, Tek Knight, or Zero Pattern to pick this. It costs 4 points and you can only pick it once. Double the numeric effects of Great One, Tek Knight, or Zero Pattern (whichever you have), including any penalties, except for any extra effects based on size (or pilot level in the case of of Zero Pattern). For example, if your previous choice was Great One (Plating), you would gain +40 HP, +4 DR, +4 Natural armor regardless of size, and your Dodge bonus would be further halved, resulting in being 1/4 of its original value. You also gain +1 IL/PL to initiating maneuvers both you and your Super Robot know. Once you've picked this you can't gain Great One/Tek Knight/Zero Pattern outside of the choice you made to qualify for King Frame.

Emperor Frame: You need pilot level 16 plus King Frame to pick this. It costs 4 points and you can only pick it once. Double again the numeric effects of your previous choice for King Frame, including any penalties, except for any extra effects based on size (or pilot level in the case of of Zero Pattern). So for example if your previous choice was Great One (Plating), you would gain another +40 HP, +4 DR, and +4 Natural armor regardless of size, and your Dodge bonus would be further halved, resulting in being reduced to 1/8. You also gain +1 to all your maneuver's DCs.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 12:34:15 AM »
In Super Robot, Gravity Engine, Miniaturization, Sentient (twice), and Transform (Fighter once, Tank twice) "it's" should be "its".
Done.

Hyperdimensional Step should specify that it doesn't work when taking a 5ft step. Is it intended to work when moving as part of eg. full attacks using an area melee weapon, maneuver, etc?
Added 5ft step clause, and yes supposed to work with more exotic forms of movement.

Should King/Emperor Frame require pilot level 8/16 or Super Pilot level 8/16?
Super, fixed.

What happens when a mecha with King Frame is in a combined robot with a mecha with a different tek/great/zero option?
As specified in the feat, for mutually-exclusive picks and/or picks that make you choose one option, only one of the options will work.

Grouping Great, Zero, Tek, King, and Emperor makes sense to me. I'd say put them all together at the end. Here's the code (plus a bunch of grammar and spelling changes). Please make sure I kept the meanings of things correct.
Great One: Choose one of the following options. This option costs 4 points and can only be taken once. For Super Robots that can change size, count only the smallest one possible for bonuses based on size. (For example, if your robot had a medium and huge forms, it would only count as medium.) If your mecha is bigger than colossal, it simply counts as colossal. Any penalties apply to your current relevant value.

(click to show/hide)

Tek Knight: Choose one of the following options. This upgrade costs 4 points and can only be taken once. For Super Robots that can change size, count only the largest one possible for bonuses based on size (For example, if your robot had a medium and tiny forms, it would only count as medium.) If your mecha is smaller than fine, it simply counts as fine. Any penalties apply to your current relevant value.

(click to show/hide)

Zero Pattern: Choose one of the following options. This option costs 4 points and can only be taken once. For Super Robots that can change size, count only the one furthest away from medium for penalties based on size. (For example if your robot had medium and tiny forms, it would only count as tiny.) Those effects only apply while piloting the Super Robot.
(click to show/hide)

King Frame: You need pilot level 8 plus only one of Great One, Tek Knight, or Zero Pattern to pick this. It costs 4 points and you can only pick it once. Double the numeric effects of Great One, Tek Knight, or Zero Pattern (whichever you have), including any penalties, except for any extra effects based on size (or pilot level in the case of of Zero Pattern). For example, if your previous choice was Great One (Plating), you would gain +40 HP, +4 DR, +4 Natural armor regardless of size, and your Dodge bonus would be further halved, resulting in being 1/4 of its original value. You also gain +1 IL/PL to initiating maneuvers both you and your Super Robot know. Once you've picked this you can't gain Great One/Tek Knight/Zero Pattern outside of the choice you made to qualify for King Frame.

Emperor Frame: You need pilot level 16 plus King Frame to pick this. It costs 4 points and you can only pick it once. Double again the numeric effects of your previous choice for King Frame, including any penalties, except for any extra effects based on size (or pilot level in the case of of Zero Pattern). So for example if your previous choice was Great One (Plating), you would gain another +40 HP, +4 DR, and +4 Natural armor regardless of size, and your Dodge bonus would be further halved, resulting in being reduced to 1/8. You also gain +1 to all your maneuver's DCs.

Well since it seems a majority decision and you bothered to actually provide me the cleaned text, I'll do it. Put them on their new Ultimate Upgrade section, guess that name may come in handy in the future.

Offline Fzzr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 01:17:31 AM »
"it's" still needs to be "its" in the Super Robot feature (in the first post). Also, in this case "wrecks" should be "wreckage". That sentence is now "If the Super Robot is reduced to 0 HP the Super Pilot will have to undergo some redeeming quest to make it rise again from its wreckage."

Yes, a majority of two. :p But yeah, they're interconnected enough that I liked the idea of grouping them.

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 09:52:41 AM »
Does the Super Robot's initial ranged weapons also do Dex damage?

Can we get Main Weapon and Paired variants doe the ranged weapons? I just spent upgrade points to equally buff both my in-builts.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 11:25:41 PM »
Does the Super Robot's initial ranged weapons also do Dex damage?
Yes, all mecha weapons benefit from that in a mecha game.

Can we get Main Weapon and Paired variants doe the ranged weapons? I just spent upgrade points to equally buff both my in-builts.
There's nothing stopping you from using Main Weapon on a ranged weapon instead of melee. Removed melee restriction from Paired.

Offline Izzarra

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 02:38:10 AM »
Main Weapon:Choose one of your in built weapons. It now deals damage as if it was one size category larger and adds 1.5 the relevant stat mod to damage instead of just once (if it is a heavy weapon, 2.5 the relevant stat) and gain a +4 bonus to resist Disarm checks. You can only have one Main Weapon, but you can pick this option two more times, each one increasing the damage die another size and granting an extra +4 bonus to resist Disarm checks. The second one the Crit threat increases by 1 and the third the crit multiplier increases by 1.

Paired: Choose two built-in non-heavy weapons of the super robot. They gain the Twin-Linked property. You can take this upgrade multiple times. Either pick another pair of built-in non-heavy weapons to pair up, or you can further upgrade the paired weapons so that they can be combined as a free action into a single melee weapon, adding their damage, and special properties, gaining the Heavy property and using the best crit-threat range and crit multiplier among them (if they both had the same crit-threat range and crit multiplier, increase both by 1). Another free action separates them.  Your Main Weapon cannot be a Paired weapon.

In the Main Weapon upgrade adjustments for the heavy property are specified, however as far as I can tell Paired is the only way to get a heavy built-in weapon and it specifically states that that they cannot be used as a main weapon. What would the upgrade cost and stats for a stand alone build-in heavy weapon be?
"Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 09:26:18 AM »
Extra upgrade now has the option to take a Heavy weapon dealing 2d10 base damage.

And if you don't mind me asking, are you making a SRW d20 character since you seem to have registered just to post that this question? If yes, mind sharing any details about your campaign? Extra feedback is always welcome.

Offline Izzarra

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 01:50:05 AM »
And if you don't mind me asking, are you making a SRW d20 character since you seem to have registered just to post that this question? If yes, mind sharing any details about your campaign? Extra feedback is always welcome.

I am applying to a play by post game on the Giant in the Playground forums that will be using SRW d20. We are still in recruitment and have not quite settled on the fine details of the setting. I have some more game mechanic notes that I will start posting around here where appropriate.

Dynamic: Choose one of your in-built weapons. It gains the Hybrid property and the new stats are equal to the original except it changes from ranged to melee and the other way around. If it was melee, its ranged version has a base range of 50 mu, or 100 mu if Heavy. Each extra time you pick this, it applies to another of your in-built weapons.

Take a look at dynamic, you might want to rephrase or adjust it.

When I read it my understanding is that if you apply dynamic to a 1d10 melee weapon it gains the ability to change to a ranged weapon that still does 1d10 and has a range of 50 mu. This clearly outclasses the default ranged weapons that you can start with, or get with Extra, in both damage and range. This bonus get even better for heavy weapons, makes me want to assemble my mecha's built-in sniper rifle starting with the bayonet.

However if your start with a 1d8 30 mu range weapon and apply dynamic it still does 1d8 damage in melee. A downgrade from the default built-in weapons, better to pick up a new 1d10 melee weapon with Extra for the same upgrade cost.

One solution might be to have the Dynamic upgrade the base damage and range on any weapon it is applied to one set standard so that it is not advantageous to always start with a melee weapon before applying Dynamic.

Other random ideas:
- Allow a pair of twin linked melee weapons on the beast transform so that something like a cat transformation can attack with the claws on both front legs.
- Spend upgrade points for another hardpoint, this upgrade can only be taken once or twice.
- Option for Cutting plasma field to have a cost reduction by adding ammo, also cost reduction of Progressive Edge using energy.
"Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 11:02:12 AM »

I am applying to a play by post game on the Giant in the Playground forums that will be using SRW d20. We are still in recruitment and have not quite settled on the fine details of the setting. I have some more game mechanic notes that I will start posting around here where appropriate.
Got it!

Dynamic: Choose one of your in-built weapons. It gains the Hybrid property and the new stats are equal to the original except it changes from ranged to melee and the other way around. If it was melee, its ranged version has a base range of 50 mu, or 100 mu if Heavy. Each extra time you pick this, it applies to another of your in-built weapons.

Take a look at dynamic, you might want to rephrase or adjust it.

When I read it my understanding is that if you apply dynamic to a 1d10 melee weapon it gains the ability to change to a ranged weapon that still does 1d10 and has a range of 50 mu. This clearly outclasses the default ranged weapons that you can start with, or get with Extra, in both damage and range. This bonus get even better for heavy weapons, makes me want to assemble my mecha's built-in sniper rifle starting with the bayonet.

However if your start with a 1d8 30 mu range weapon and apply dynamic it still does 1d8 damage in melee. A downgrade from the default built-in weapons, better to pick up a new 1d10 melee weapon with Extra for the same upgrade cost.

One solution might be to have the Dynamic upgrade the base damage and range on any weapon it is applied to one set standard so that it is not advantageous to always start with a melee weapon before applying Dynamic.
Dynamic now adds damage as if one size bigger if the original weapon was ranged and the other way around.

Other random ideas:
- Allow a pair of twin linked melee weapons on the beast transform so that something like a cat transformation can attack with the claws on both front legs.
Done.

- Spend upgrade points for another hardpoint, this upgrade can only be taken once or twice.
There used to be an upgrade like that.

Problem was that it became the upgrade. Every super build took it. It wasn't a matter of "can be taken", it was a matter of "will be taken".
So I just removed the hardpoint upgrade option and gave every super robot a free hardpoint base instead (they used to start with none). If a choice is mandatory, may as well make it the default.

- Option for Cutting plasma field to have a cost reduction by adding ammo, also cost reduction of Progressive Edge using energy.
Done as well, spiffy ideas.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2019, 12:38:18 PM »
Explanation on the "why everyone took it" hardpoint thing: there was no antagonistic relationship between arsenal access and upgrades to begin with. And one arsenal accessory would scale far better than a point in plating. And thus, if it ever came back, it would again be "just bolt on more accessories that do the same job for less upgrade point cost".

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2019, 01:00:38 PM »
More hardpoints would be a no brainier choice again if they were brought back. I have a Super Robot that spent my one hardpoint on a Reactor so that I could spend Upgrade points on Nanomachines. There is at least one more Accessory that I really want (and I'm probably going to make some big changes because the combo of reactor+nanomachines isn't doing enough for me compared to other accessory choices).