Author Topic: Adventurer Based Deities  (Read 3181 times)

Offline M@xim

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Adventurer Based Deities
« on: June 16, 2015, 09:13:08 AM »
I created a homebrew world and I want the Deities to be former Adventurers from another world that came to this world and received a power up in the same sense that Superman is super strong because he lives on Earth. I want each deity to be 20 levels of something with a little extra to make them God-like. Most of them will be Neutral or Evil (too much power). They're not intended to be unbeatable, but I do want them to be very optimized and different from one another. There needs to be seven of them.

So.. this should be kind of fun.. give me 7 distinctive 20+ level character builds to bother my players with.

I have a few in mind I'll post shortly, but I want to see what you guys come up with first!

Thanks! :smirk

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer Based Deities
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 05:29:52 PM »
Building an NPC is pretty straightforward
up to level 20, but beyond that is ???

If you're following the Magic Item schedule
in the DMG, then you could easily say
that the ~4 Legendary items are in the
possession 4 of your Big 7, and usable.

The other 3 can have Very Rares, and
any of them can be buffed via Consumables.
Hey look the Str dump stat build is a Storm Giant.

Then there's the Boons section toward the
back of the DMG.  That's a bunch of decent ideas.
It's kinda like E6, but at higher levels.

That said, refluff the Terrasque as an unbelievably
tough Commoner.  It can reveal it's secret around
the 4th round, maybe earlier with high level Divinations.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline M@xim

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 08:16:02 PM »
I primarily am looking for distinct optimized builds (probably multiclassed) that are strong in their own right at level 20. My level 8 party wouldn't even stand a change against one of these right now (which is the point). They're supposed to scare the crap out of my players by sending their minions after them heh. I'll probably add some flare to them to set them apart and make them even more epic, but I can be creative with that based on their respective skills.

Offline JohnnyMayHymn

• Former Lord of the Kitchen Sink
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 01:51:03 AM »
Edit: never mind, I just realized this is the 5e section, I'll get around to reading those some day
The Emperor
Can you find the Wumpus?

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 03:59:59 PM »
Single Class or Multi-Class, it doesn't matter.
Primary stat +2 , +2 again , Resilient Con (or Wis) , Secondary Stat +2 , +2 again.

The top rated spells back at the various wotc guides,
are not all combat Now (!) only spells ;  some have
massive out-of-combat uses.  Like Suggestion,
which can be a day long adventure sidetrack.

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 05:08:27 AM »
"The level 5 sorcerer/fighter god casts quickened Friends, then normal Friends. He then Action Surges and casts another quickened Friends and normal Friends. Whatever, there's four of you.

You are all now his friends. You must treat him as a trusted ally.

You can hate him afterwards if you want."
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 06:58:54 PM by sambojin »

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 06:10:23 AM »
But to be a little more serious.....

The Raven Lord:

Bard (Lore) 18/ Warlock (GOO/Chain) 3
------------

Supernatural Powers:
Can conjure swarms with Conjure Animals

Has an extra level of Warlock than a lvl20 build would allow. He has a pact to himself because of this. He is both great and old (and has a voice like an evil Christopher Lee. Way eviler than our one). This gives him an extra invocation.

Telepathy works fine with Voice of the Chainmaster and inspiration die. The Imp works for a god. You'd better believe a voice like that is powerful, so any bardic effects can be done via imp proxy whenever wanted. He is the tiny, mini Solar Angel of a Bard God. So any voice effects really. Possibly right up to and including telepathic imp proxy persuasion done off the Raven Lord's skill bonuses. But mostly just bard effects.
--------------

E.blast push, voice of the chainmaster, devil's sight as invocations.

Plenty of summoning, invis and charm related spells for the list choices. Teleports if DM fiat can't be used to start/stop encounters when required.

Gets all the awesome level 9 spells through magical secrets of Lore (wish, foresight and whatever you want). Can do anything (even melee) due to this. Has an invisible Imp to do his bidding. This imp can direct his hour-long swarm raids to anywhere within a fair few miles from his location, to simply destroy things when required. He can invis himself and make you suck incredibly badly at everything with cutting words and telepathy. This does not break invisibility.

Regularly just annoys you. Was that a branch touching your shoulder, or an invisible imp releasing a touch spell? Is that flock of bats a murder swarm, or just natural fauna flying back at dusk to its roost? Did you fail that roll because he was there? Are you hexed for the entire next day? Should you even get into the bathtub, or will 36 swarms of kippers immediately bite your softer bits off? Should you ever even go near a cliff?

He has such amazingly high charisma he tends to not be hated too much. But he could be anywhere. He could be doing anything. Did the bad guy succeed due to his inspiration? Or do you really just suck? Though, in all your misadventures, maybe he was there for you all along. Which side is he even on?

And the ravens warble, sing and cackle relentlessly. If you listen closely, you might just hear their secrets. Or they might peck your eyes out as you stupidly stand there and stare at birds. It's hard to say what the Raven Lord feels about anything. He apparently likes a good story though.....

I'll do a full build up tomorrow morning.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 06:52:58 AM by sambojin »

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 07:41:52 AM »
I'll edit this post tomorrow with a spoilered build from the above, but the only other truly "godlike" stuff I can think of is a Wizard (Illusionist)14+/anything style build for the sheer reality warping available in the "makes it quasi real" part of that. That is horribly scary.

It probably wouldn't even take a supernatural powers section to make the build work, just a list of suggestions of illusion bits to make real. Hell, if I can work out a way of sorc twinning an illusion spell for twice the fun, we're in business.

Suggestions?

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 10:26:07 AM »
I know its a completely different scale, but this makes me remember Mystara`s Immortals so hard! Damn you and your good ideas which I`ll be changing.

As you seem to want stuff as close to the rules as possible, I`m not able to help you, particularly because I can`t see any level 20 character as anything close to a god or Superman, even spellcasters, in this edition. The closest thing you`ll be able to get are Spellcaster + something.

Maybe you could try something like Moon Druid 20/ Warlock (goo) 3, with the ability of changing his shape into Chthonic stuff, with a touch of Nodens.
Or maybe an Air Genasi Eldritch Knight that is perpetually hasted, flying, under the effects of Foresight and controls the climate or something...

Sorry for not offering any relevant suggestion.
Lovely Zoma...

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 04:29:09 PM »
I'll edit this post tomorrow with a spoilered build from the above, but the only other truly "godlike" stuff I can think of is a Wizard (Illusionist)14+/anything style build for the sheer reality warping available in the "makes it quasi real" part of that. That is horribly scary.

It probably wouldn't even take a supernatural powers section to make the build work, just a list of suggestions of illusion bits to make real. Hell, if I can work out a way of sorc twinning an illusion spell for twice the fun, we're in business.

Suggestions?

Along the lines of your longer post above it ...

Wiz Ill 18 / SorcFS 3 , with higher-er metamagic use.
Divinations are answered by himself (her-, it- ?)
so no penalties for multiple uses.
Phantasmal Force with No Save.
Morpheus saying to Neo :  " What is the real ? "