Author Topic: General Discussion and Sugestions  (Read 75534 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: General Discussion and Sugestions
« Reply #300 on: June 02, 2016, 10:42:37 PM »
No. Archivists also have spellbooks and can't take Spell Mastery.
Balance-wise, it could end in some crazy OP stuff I don't intend to promote.
Fluff-wise, both ordinary and youkai magicians lack the fancy sophisticated writing training a wizard gets.

Offline Shadlith

• Lurker
  • Excited Celestial
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 03, 2016, 08:44:28 AM »
Got it, thank you!

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 05, 2016, 06:44:08 AM »
Addded some new feats. Easy to tell them apart, they have no pics yet.

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 18, 2016, 09:26:05 PM »
Hey folks, just visiting right now, but have a question to pose. Looking around for material for a Mahou Shojo game I'm helping out with and the Grimoire was among the first I thought of, but I have an opinion to ask.

Do you think the PCs should be allowed the Forbidden Schools?  I'm not sure I can justify it to the gm, I mean Great Power with High Price is something you find in mahou shojo, but I don't often find it used by the main characters. Normally it ends up being a supporting character who can't typically match up to the stars.

I can't guarantee that the players will even consider the forbidden schools, but I'd rather have a prepared answer for it, should it come up.
I want to be born. To live. That is all I want. -Aura

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 18, 2016, 09:39:12 PM »
Hey folks, just visiting right now, but have a question to pose. Looking around for material for a Mahou Shojo game I'm helping out with and the Grimoire was among the first I thought of, but I have an opinion to ask.

Do you think the PCs should be allowed the Forbidden Schools?  I'm not sure I can justify it to the gm, I mean Great Power with High Price is something you find in mahou shojo, but I don't often find it used by the main characters. Normally it ends up being a supporting character who can't typically match up to the stars.

I can't guarantee that the players will even consider the forbidden schools, but I'd rather have a prepared answer for it, should it come up.

Depends on what magical girl stuff you're going through. There's definitely power-at-a-price stuff going around being used by the main characters, it's just a matter of demographic and writing as to whether it's going to show up.

I mean, the other thing with the Forbidden Schools is that they also give the GM's certain options: one of the ways to reduce the cost means fighting against it and its power-at-a-price insanity. Limiting downtime to meditate it off is also a thing.

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 18, 2016, 10:02:31 PM »
Well going off the typical magical girl combat time formula

You will have a maybe 2 or 3 battles...with a day or more of downtime before the next volley hits. Until things hit the serious end of the scale when you have to go up against an Army, Midboss, Endboss, and True Endboss all after the other with very little spacing. The meditate time would certainly be something seemingly easy in the beginning, but you're going to be overwhelmed if you focus on it. Unless they get a baddie using their Base school with no forbidden maneuvers, but I think it'd be more likely to find it the other way around.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 18, 2016, 10:09:29 PM »
Well going off the typical magical girl combat time formula

You will have a maybe 2 or 3 battles...with a day or more of downtime before the next volley hits. Until things hit the serious end of the scale when you have to go up against an Army, Midboss, Endboss, and True Endboss all after the other with very little spacing. The meditate time would certainly be something seemingly easy in the beginning, but you're going to be overwhelmed if you focus on it. Unless they get a baddie using their Base school with no forbidden maneuvers, but I think it'd be more likely to find it the other way around.

The forbidden cost is low early on, sure--only one or two per maneuver in the first four levels. So, that's uninterrupted time equal to an entire rest period after a day of adventuring (which will presumably be needed because of other rules) just to offset using them once or twice a battle. A failed reflex save giving you eight damage at level three wouldn't be something to scoff at, even if you're going the oni route. -5 total HP or so from Immortal Smoke is a bitch, and creates a feedback loop as you rely on it to survive fatal wounds.

Then you hit level five and the costs really start to bite. Use three level three maneuvers, or some combination thereof and a level two or so, between rests and you can't meditate off the whole penalty in an eight hour period of doing nothing else. Higher levels? Only between big adventures is going to make any headway into offsetting regular use.

It gives the GM character hooks and another reason to not allow lots of downtime during adventures, whilst giving characters increasingly big vulnerabilities to target during those adventures. The costs are going to hurt if the GM tries to use them.

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 18, 2016, 10:29:14 PM »
The forbidden cost is low early on, sure--only one or two per maneuver in the first four levels. So, that's uninterrupted time equal to an entire rest period after a day of adventuring (which will presumably be needed because of other rules) just to offset using them once or twice a battle. A failed reflex save giving you eight damage at level three wouldn't be something to scoff at, even if you're going the oni route. -5 total HP or so from Immortal Smoke is a bitch, and creates a feedback loop as you rely on it to survive fatal wounds.

Then you hit level five and the costs really start to bite. Use three level three maneuvers, or some combination thereof and a level two or so, between rests and you can't meditate off the whole penalty in an eight hour period of doing nothing else. Higher levels? Only between big adventures is going to make any headway into offsetting regular use.

It gives the GM character hooks and another reason to not allow lots of downtime during adventures, whilst giving characters increasingly big vulnerabilities to target during those adventures. The costs are going to hurt if the GM tries to use them.

So, you believe that they should be allowed, but make clear warnings?  I suppose if nothing else dealing with the price of them would make a few interesting points within a story. *rubs chin*

Aside from Lunatic Lancer, everything else completed in the Grimoire seems acceptable for player use in the setting.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 18, 2016, 10:34:56 PM »

So, you believe that they should be allowed, but make clear warnings?  I suppose if nothing else dealing with the price of them would make a few interesting points within a story. *rubs chin*

Aside from Lunatic Lancer, everything else completed in the Grimoire seems acceptable for player use in the setting.

I'd rule out anything linked to Septette if you're trying to do heroic characters. Even if you take the base school as fine, it relies on blood to use most of its maneuvers properly.

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 18, 2016, 10:59:40 PM »
Hm, true enough. I suppose you could do some adaptation but draining anything out of enemies isn't something I can place as Mahou Shojo off the top of my head unless you are power sealing them. I suppose a few cases where they are drawing out a possessing demon, but eh irrelevant either way.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 27, 2016, 02:48:49 AM »
Something I thought I'd note, disciplines like Ancient Temple that require a feat to gain access to the discipline do not require that you trade a discipline for them. The feat states that it gives you access to the discipline and allows you to learn maneuvers from it from them on.
Just to confirm in case it wasn't intended.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 27, 2016, 05:12:21 AM »
Intended.

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 07, 2016, 04:44:08 PM »
I know you're more occupied with the Super Robot Wars changes Os, but is there any chance you have finished more stuff for the Mythical Maid? Specifically the school since the Maid herself is only missing Capstone.

Also I'd like an opinion. Should Yuuka have just a representative school or a class as well? I've been mulling it over in my head for a while as she's my favorite character outside the ones you have finished.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 07, 2016, 05:14:30 PM »
Lunar Dial is technically finished, pretty much just needs the Index cleaned up but otherwise has all the maneuvers are stated up plus the three mandatory feats, only the multi-school feat being missing.

So I guess you mean the Forbidden school? May do it this week for a change of pace. Although the poor Purple Mage Heretic is all alone in the corner. Really need to finish stating her up (and update campaigns, yay!).

As for Yuuka I had already contemplated an early draft for maneuver names, let me re-post it:
(click to show/hide)

Of course having maneuvers does not excluse having a class to help represent the character. But still should have maneuvers.

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 07, 2016, 09:12:56 PM »
no, I was just a goof who missed that the maneuver spoiler was actually finished.
Although if you want to give me a forbidden to toy with I won't be complaining.

And oo the names for those abilities. I like.

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: November 08, 2016, 03:06:10 PM »
Oh, with the changes to SRW energy and arsenal, I just realized that the Modern Maid options should probably be altered as well. The things I could do now with 75 arsenal.....

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 22, 2016, 05:55:34 AM »
Updated Modern Maid arsenal/energy.

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 09, 2017, 08:30:43 PM »
Would anyone be willing to craft me a 5th level Gestalt (36 pt buy) Youkai Magician for use as a villain in the Magical Girl game I spoke of before?

I'm a bit occupied trying to convince applicants that "No, I don't dislike their idea, we just have a large number of tanks applying so a 2nd class build would increase your chances of being accepted."
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 08:34:07 PM by Rekmond »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 09, 2017, 09:07:56 PM »
Er... willing? I guess. But gestalted with anything in particular?

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 09, 2017, 09:40:17 PM »
No real preference.  I want her able to do some bombardment and lockdown, but be able to escape if caught in melee.

Aside from those points, go nuts. I won't need it immediately, I'm just looking for a little help to lighten my load and stress level.

I'm working on a demon lord (who isn't a demon of any sort) to use later in the game as a recurring villain.