Author Topic: Optimizing a Smite Knight  (Read 3775 times)

Offline Delicate Swarm

• Lurker
  • Get some!
    • View Profile
Optimizing a Smite Knight
« on: February 20, 2016, 10:55:24 PM »
So, my long running character finally died, and now I have to make a new one.  I was thinking about a Paladin/Eldritch Knight multiclass: The Smite Knight.

But how can I tweak this to be better?  I'm think 4 levels of paladin instead of 3 for more slots, and vengeance over devotion.

Paladin 4/Fighter 7
Dragonborn, Oath of Vengeance,Magical Initiate(Warlock),Resilient(Con),Warcaster

Proficient skills: Athletics (STR), Intimidation (CHA), Persuasion (CHA), Insight (WIS)

STR 14+2, DEX 10, CON 13+1, INT 8, WIS 12, CHA 15+1

Fighting Styles:Defense/Dueling

EK Spells:Mage Hand,Blade Ward,Shield,Earth Tremor,Absorb Elements,Expeditious Retreat
Magic Initiate Spells:Hex,Green flame Blade,Eldritch Blast

Not really an outright damage machine.  More of a Tank/BFC.  Could switch to GWF and sacrifice some defense for offense, but I'd probably need the Great Weapon Master feat for that to be worth it, and I don't know what to give up.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 11:02:09 PM by Delicate Swarm »

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Rolling a boulder up a hill
    • View Profile
Re: Optimizing a Smite Knight
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 06:23:08 AM »
Try Paladin 5 / Warlock 3 (or 4 for the extra ASI) instead. You might want to go Paladin 1 / Warlock first then continue Paladin. Go Pact of the Tome (you can cast all 1st and 2nd level rituals) and pick up Shillelagh as a cha-based cantrip, plus you get 2nd level slots every short rest and you saved yourself a Magic Initiate feat. Now use Oath of Devotion and you can use double your charisma for attack rolls, once your charisma for damage, and if you get Mounted Combatant, obtain advantage whenever you fight from your mount (Find Steed = paladin mount) or you can just get +2 charisma because cha does great things in your hands. You could conceivably stack the Dueling style on top of this for another +2 to damage rolls with your 1d8+cha club if you want. Also you can get the Great Old One patron for Dissonant Whisper and cast it in melee range so that you can make your enemy provoke an AoO from both you and your mount when he retreats. Alternatively there's the Fiend patron for Dark One's Blessing to give you free temp hp every time you down an enemy.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 06:25:28 AM by Power »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: Optimizing a Smite Knight
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 05:13:08 PM »
2nd-ing Power.  Pal 2 / x'Lock 3 hits hard early.

I don't recall any wotc/enworld builds trying for what those guys are doing.
Fighter 11 + another 2 attack class 5 or 6, is a lot of overlapping.
Not using the Fighter Con prof + Resilient Con + Warcaster, is shakier.

SorO_Lost did a build here:
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=15272.0

Paladin 6 combines well with any Cha based Full caster.
Paladin 2 combines well with any Gish Cha 2 attack Full caster.
Fighter 11 / Rogue 9 one of the guys at enworld calls max damge.
Your codpiece is a mimic.