Author Topic: The Small Rants Thread XI :What Do you Want to Bitch About?  (Read 158050 times)

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: The Small Rants Thread XI :What Do you Want to Bitch About?
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2015, 12:00:45 AM »
So, the wife managed to snag an Xbox One and a copy of Fallout 4 today.

It has been updating for eight hours.

Honey , do you need me to scrub toilets or take out the trash or buy some flowers or ...

The arrangement we've come to is: I can play while she's at work or otherwise indisposed so long as I make sure the dishes are done. Seems downright reasonable considering I'm basically the housewife in this relationship.
A little madness goes a long way...

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2015, 06:52:43 AM »
Downright reasonable? I'm green with envy right now.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2015, 03:51:18 PM »
Why say housewife anymore?  House spouse just seems to work better.

My own  :banghead for the day:  I just spent half an hour or more trying to get the localisations right for the Raspberry Pi my dad gave me.  The keyboard was the biggest issue, and I thought I had gotten everything right but it still wouldn't cooperate.  Then I rebooted and it magically started working exactly how I wanted it to.

So yeah, now my next "projects" are a combination of figuring out the quirks of Raspbian plus learning Python and Wolfram/Mathematica.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2015, 04:08:32 PM »
So, the wife managed to snag an Xbox One and a copy of Fallout 4 today.

It has been updating for eight hours.

Honey , do you need me to scrub toilets or take out the trash or buy some flowers or ...

The arrangement we've come to is: I can play while she's at work or otherwise indisposed so long as I make sure the dishes are done. Seems downright reasonable considering I'm basically the housewife in this relationship.

She's a "K"-eeper  :love with a capital K .
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2015, 10:42:05 AM »
Why say housewife anymore?  House spouse just seems to work better.

Mostly because it's easier to say, and because I find it amusing to identify as such.

Downright reasonable? I'm green with envy right now.

Eh, it's not all vault suits and bobbleheads. She works short shifts and there are lots of other responsibilities that still have to come first. For instance: Today I have to take a bus to the Social Security office two towns over to turn in her paystubs for the last month so they can decide how much of her income (which pretty much all got spent on either food or the XBox) to take out of my next disability check. Between the buses and the waiting room, that's typically an all-day thing.

Currently I've only found enough spare time to play once, and didn't make it much past character creation. Haven't even killed my first radroach yet. Still...

She's a "K"-eeper  :love with a capital K .

...no arguments here. :D

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2015, 12:06:18 PM »
Quick tip on FO4: take the time and go through the perk chart and plan out your build a bit before leaving Vault 111, you'll thank yourself later for it if you do. SPECIAL in this game is a bit more scarce than it used to be, due to the fact there are no more skill points and as such, SPECIAL points are much more important. Only way you're going to start out with a high stat is if you dump others, and although you do have infinite level ups with which to get more SPECIAL points, the grind is real, as later levels take a significant longer amount of time and effort, and there are a lot, and i do mean a lot, of perks to choose from. So take the time, and plan out in advance what is more important to you, and how you're going to get there.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2015, 02:34:46 PM »
Quick tip on FO4: take the time and go through the perk chart and plan out your build a bit before leaving Vault 111, you'll thank yourself later for it if you do. SPECIAL in this game is a bit more scarce than it used to be, due to the fact there are no more skill points and as such, SPECIAL points are much more important. Only way you're going to start out with a high stat is if you dump others, and although you do have infinite level ups with which to get more SPECIAL points, the grind is real, as later levels take a significant longer amount of time and effort, and there are a lot, and i do mean a lot, of perks to choose from. So take the time, and plan out in advance what is more important to you, and how you're going to get there.

That's me with every RPG anyway, part of why character creation always takes me so long. :tongue

But yeah, it was a bit of a shock when I got the the initial stat selection and realized they all start at 1 with only enough points to to get 4's across the board--as opposed to every other fallout where they all start at 5 and you have additional points to distribute on top of that.

Ended up dumping Cha down to 2, putting a 5 in Int and Luck, and keeping the rest at 4--though I might mess with it once I get out of the vault.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2015, 03:30:10 PM »

That's me with every RPG anyway, part of why character creation always takes me so long. :tongue

But yeah, it was a bit of a shock when I got the the initial stat selection and realized they all start at 1 with only enough points to to get 4's across the board--as opposed to every other fallout where they all start at 5 and you have additional points to distribute on top of that.

Ended up dumping Cha down to 2, putting a 5 in Int and Luck, and keeping the rest at 4--though I might mess with it once I get out of the vault.

5 in luck is a must if you like power levelling - Idiot Savant is insanely powerful in conjunction with save scumming to get 3x or 5x the XP on quest rewards - you, however, are looking at many hours lost on loading screens if you choose to go that route. Even then, statistics show that between 1 and 3 int, and then again over 10 int, 1 point spent on Idiot Savant is better than a point spent on Int, XP% wise. Then again, for quests, you can just drown in alcohol to get your Int low enough that Idiot Savant is more likely to proc, meaning you get best of both worlds - low% passive 3x or 5x multiplier in the wild with a high INT giving you good base XP to multiply, plus good % chance on save scumming after lowering INT.

But you want 6 on INT to get Science, since some of the best weapons in the game are energy weapons, plus some of the best weapon mods require Science as well. Plus... POWER ARMOR. You'll eventually want 4 ranks in both Armorer and Science in order to max everything out and get the Jetpack. For armorer, you need a 3 in STR.

Charisma is *only* important if you want to build settlements, and settlements are only ever really important in the grand scheme of things if you want a particular faction to win in the end. CHR is 6+ or 1, in my opinion, since it's rather easy to pop a Berry Mentat and wear CHR+ gear in order to get quest rewards and the like. Plus, save scumming.

Personally, i like sniping best of all. So for me, eventually getting 7 AGI in order to get Ninja, plus Mr. Sandman for those 5.3X multiplier sneak attacks is a must. Perception only ever needs to be high enough to get Rifleman, as the Sniper perk is more for V.A.T.S than anything else. Automatic weapons have low damage and eat through too many bullets for my liking. I'll either go Gunslinger or Rifleman any day over Commando, but Big Guns is pretty cool for the late game - but requires too many points spent on STR.

Endurance can be at 1. I play on Survival and END was my dump stat. If you're careful, you don't ever need more than 1 END, as armor makes a big difference, and Power Armor, even more so. Feel like you're being overwhelmed? Suit up. Gundam Style.

That about wraps it up as far as i'm concerned with Character Creation. There are MANY ways to play the game, and after i beat it this time around, i'm toying with the idea of playing a dumb-luck crit-happy v.a.t.s spamming old-wild-west gunslinging Lone Wanderer Party Boy.

My 2cents after about 100 hours spent in-game, with 2 characters, one abandoned, one current.

Also another tip. If you want MAX DAMAGE, play a female. Most of the enemies in the game are male, Black Widow is MUCH better than Lady Killer for that reason alone, and then Bloody Mess to add another +15%.

HAPPY FALLOUT ADVENTURES!

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2015, 03:32:36 PM »
I was puttering around some local historical books.
Found an aerial photo of my old neighborhood from
60+ years ago, no houses, no airport, no factory, etc.
Hey look X-mas card !

Go to print shop.
Underling says I'm all alone and unsupervised so I can't do it.
Go to print shop next day.
Boss says I'm all alone and Underling is the one who can do it.

Go back to library.
Homeless guy is snorting+snorting to clear clogged nasals.
Have to return book.

Put reserve on book.
They'll get the book for me tomorrow (I was just holding it in my hand).

Oh wait the print shop can't do it til Monday (maybe).
dude whines:  "Do I have to take off the reserve of the book now?"

moppet loud whispers:  "Mommy what's wrong with the man?"
Homeless guy flips.  Police get called.  Book problem dropped.
(sigh)
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2015, 05:02:32 PM »
Trying to get rid of an old engine.  Called 6 salvage yards so far today.  3 are permanently closed, 1 only takes whole cars, 1 was a scam, and 1 isn't open today. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2015, 05:05:40 PM »
Trying to get rid of an old engine.  Called 6 salvage yards so far today.  3 are permanently closed, 1 only takes whole cars, 1 was a scam, and 1 isn't open today.

Have you tried scrap metal dealers?

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2015, 05:33:45 PM »

Have you tried scrap metal dealers?

Talked to one just now.  Iron and steel go for about $40 a ton, so it's not even worth the gas to drive it over. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2015, 08:45:36 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Wow, thanks for all the advice. I've been hesitant to look up guides because I didn't want to run into any spoilers--which already happened a few times anyway.

Knew about the trick with Idiot Savant. In hindsight since you can't take it until level two the best tactic might be to dump everything but Int initially and then rebuild once you get out of the vault--that way you get the most out of those initial XP gains. Not sure how much difference that would make though. Even with Int 5 I still had to putt around a bit in town and do some crafting to hit level two.

I'm definitely partial to the "sneak and snipe" playstyle, occasionally with some explosives thrown in for fun. Always entertaining to wipe out a big group of enemies with a stealth grenade toss, or pull the old pants exploding trick. Also a heavy VATS user--though that may change with this new version. Almost easier to fire normally than try to navigate that weird interface and deal with it's tendency to auto-target the enemy furthest away--rather than the ones up in your face. Really tired of getting wailed on while I try to cycle through to the nearest target. :tongue

Sigh, managed to make it back to town and loot most of the place before having to pick my wife up from work. Still haven't gotten to play around with the settlement mechanics yet. Honestly I expect that will be taking up a lot of my time, since I love games that let you design and build stuff like that.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2015, 08:50:28 PM »
Running out of things to do but revise is bad.

Because it means I can't put off buying Fallout 4 in the hope of sales. D:

Time to perfect my quicksaving/punch everything ability...

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2015, 09:10:12 AM »
(click to show/hide)

V.A.T.S is kind of weird in FO4, as there's no display on the Pip Boy for the AP cost of weapons, and there's no indication when modding a weapon if you're increasing or decreasing the AP cost for that weapon. Which kind of sucks if you want to use V.A.T.S, since trial and error is basically the only way you'll find out what weapons are better to use with VATS or not.

Rule of thumb, though, lighter is better, and pistols are less AP cost than rifles. Fire rate has something to do with it for semi-automatics, but seems like it doesn't matter for automatics at all. Reload speed might be a factor as well, but i don't know for sure.

In hindsight, after spending a good amount of hours in FO4, i'm leaning towards thinking that Gunslinger trumps Rifleman, at least until you find the gauss rifle. Truth be told, aiming down sights can be a pain somewhat, and pistols have much better hip fire accuracy than rifles do. 10mm is only found in pistols, so that's a whole ammunition type you're missing out on if you go rifle-exclusive like i did - whereas you can even make a bolt-action .50 pistol eventually. You'll definitely lose out on a bit of damage in comparison to rifles, but if you're sniping anyway that's not really such a major loss, and in close-quarter combat, pistols are better than rifles in most cases. Although Shotgun does use Rifleman as a perk, but then again, laser/plasma scatterguns with pistol grips count for Gunslinger for a similar damage potential...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 09:16:24 AM by brujon »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2015, 11:19:35 AM »
I want to know what idiot moved the VATS button. That keeps getting me out.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2015, 01:20:28 PM »
Yeah, i kept pressing V on combat to get it to light up and it didn't, lol

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2015, 02:11:34 AM »
Gitp is down, looks like those korean spammers are hardcore.

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2015, 02:35:38 PM »
(click to show/hide)

V.A.T.S is kind of weird in FO4, as there's no display on the Pip Boy for the AP cost of weapons, and there's no indication when modding a weapon if you're increasing or decreasing the AP cost for that weapon. Which kind of sucks if you want to use V.A.T.S, since trial and error is basically the only way you'll find out what weapons are better to use with VATS or not.

Rule of thumb, though, lighter is better, and pistols are less AP cost than rifles. Fire rate has something to do with it for semi-automatics, but seems like it doesn't matter for automatics at all. Reload speed might be a factor as well, but i don't know for sure.

In hindsight, after spending a good amount of hours in FO4, i'm leaning towards thinking that Gunslinger trumps Rifleman, at least until you find the gauss rifle. Truth be told, aiming down sights can be a pain somewhat, and pistols have much better hip fire accuracy than rifles do. 10mm is only found in pistols, so that's a whole ammunition type you're missing out on if you go rifle-exclusive like i did - whereas you can even make a bolt-action .50 pistol eventually. You'll definitely lose out on a bit of damage in comparison to rifles, but if you're sniping anyway that's not really such a major loss, and in close-quarter combat, pistols are better than rifles in most cases. Although Shotgun does use Rifleman as a perk, but then again, laser/plasma scatterguns with pistol grips count for Gunslinger for a similar damage potential...

Wow, thanks again Brujon! Lots of useful info here--saves me time looking things up or learning via trial & error, which is nice since my playtime is at a premium right now. We should probably move this discussion elsewhere though, since it's gotten a bit off topic.

More of the subject of bitching: Some bullshit with a Christmas order at my wife's work made her have to go in today instead of spending the weekend at her friend's like she'd intended. Which sucks for her and sucks for me because that was going to be the first time I had an entire day to play Fallout.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2015, 03:35:41 PM »
Birthday party yesterday was a blast, but again, drank way too much, and i do mean way too much. It's been about 15 hours since i last drank, and i'm still feeling drunk like hell. Hungover as well. Goddamit, i really need to keep my drinking in check.