Author Topic: [3.5] Close Quarters Fighting feat  (Read 2764 times)

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
[3.5] Close Quarters Fighting feat
« on: March 09, 2016, 03:14:18 AM »
Does the free AoO from this feat trigger when somebody already Grappling you tries to make a Grapple check to break free from the Grapple?

Stupid question, I know  :p
But a Grapple check is an attempt to Grapple you regardless of going in or out, no?

Offline faeryn

• Dedicated Spellthief: stealing all your spells
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5] Close Quarters Fighting feat
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 07:57:49 AM »
No. It only triggers going in. According to the grapple rules the grappler does NOT need to make a grapple check to end a grapple they initiated, ending a grapple on their part is done simply by stepping away (if they moved into your square to maintain the grapple) or not moving to maintain the grapple after the first round.

Since you threaten no squares while grappled you don't gain the AoOs you would normally be allowed when they move into or out of your square to maintain or end a grapple. Likewise the feat serves only to make you harder and more dangerous to grapple. Close Quarter Fighting is merely a counter measure to Improved Grapple.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 02:53:19 PM »
I meant with me being the attacker here trying to keep target from getting away.

And what if you had a means to not count as grappled when grappling and a foe tried to make a grapple check to get out of my grapple and move into my threatened area?

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 05:55:49 PM »
The feat only applies to initiating a grapple, not anytime a grapple check is made during an ongoing grapple.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 11:15:20 PM »
I meant with me being the attacker here trying to keep target from getting away.

And what if you had a means to not count as grappled when grappling and a foe tried to make a grapple check to get out of my grapple and move into my threatened area?

As Kethrian says, it only applies to creatures initiating a grapple, meaning the very first check to establish a grapple.  This feat would not apply to the situation of you being able to make an AoO and the enemy making a grapple check to get out of grappling with you.

If you had Improved Grab or a similar ability then you can grapple and still keep your ability to make AoO's.  If you're "one-hand" grappling an enemy and another tries to initiate a grapple with you then you would be able to get that AoO against the second enemy.

Offline faeryn

• Dedicated Spellthief: stealing all your spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 11:16:21 PM »
Considering tht the feat specifically states "You gain an attack of opportunity whenever an enemy attempts to grapple you".... the answer is still no... Close-Quarters Fighting does nothing that normal grappling rules don't already do besides counter Impproved Grappling... They over-elaborated the description for it, but even in their over-elaboration they still did not open it up for anything else.

Entering a grapple triggers AoO, Improved Grapple denies AoO, Close-Quarters Combat denies Improved Grapple & adds damage to opposed grapple check when against Improved Grapple. Leaving a grapple triggers an AoO to those NOT involved in the grapple if one of the grappling party moves to exit the grapple. Maintaining a grapple triggers an AoO to those NOT involved in the grapple when the grappler moves into the target's square. The target of a grapple only gets an AoO when the grapple is initiated, period.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 11:18:00 PM by faeryn »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 12:32:40 AM »
Okie dokie then /thumbsup