Author Topic: The new UA Playtest to make 6e (or 1D&D)  (Read 780 times)

Offline Kremlin K.O.A.

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
The new UA Playtest to make 6e (or 1D&D)
« on: September 03, 2022, 08:14:27 AM »
Okay looking over this and I am already not a fan.
Here's the link. https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/one-dnd
Tere's RPGbot's impressions.
https://rpgbot.net/one-dd-playtest-unearthed-arcana-character-origins/

As for my Takes from this?

Ardlings: Well it looks like Furry Force is the main force for Good in the new Faerun.  :???
Humans: They come in Small?  :??? and Dwarves Don't???    :huh Wait... Goth-Loli is now a Human subrace    :huh :twitch
Half Races: Wait, ALL Humanoids can interbreed?  :lol So the Goliath and the Gnome over there? :banghead

New crit rules: Why did rogues need Nerfing?

New Grapple Rules: Welp, WWE Bards are gone,  :-\ But wait. It's now an unarmed attack against AC? So armor makes you harder to grab? :twitch So Heavier armor is Slippery, and Dragon scales are made of Lube...  :banghead

Spell changes: New spell lists... and they went back to Arcane/Divine/Primal from 3e and 4e... interesting.  :plotting
Wait, add in the changes to rests....
They're going to have to rebuild the Warlock from the ground up.  >:(

Overall I expect this to be trash.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 09:30:06 AM by Kremlin K.O.A. »

Offline Nanashi

• it means "he who has no name" in a foreign tongue.
    • View Profile
Re: The new UA Playtest to make 6e (or 1D&D)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 04:13:48 AM »
5e's basic math is so utterly busted it's impossible to fix the system and keep it compatible with prior. All they seem to have done is make it even worse.

Making armor protect from grappling is dumb because it defeats the entire point of grappling, in-game and history! :banghead You grapple a foe because you can't just slash them with your sword (since they're so well armored)!

Forcing everyone to use the same list is very much a "good idea fairy" moment. It sound neat, then you realize that once you've done that, you've removed the ability for classes to specialize in particular types of spells, classes can no longer have special spells (bard), or be particularly good at a type of spell (particularly bad for partial casters, who got "early" access to some spells) but have gained... slightly shorter listing of class spells.

Nat 20=ALWAY succeed means everyone can do absurd things if they can safely try ~20 times and further reinforces 5e's issue of everyone being equally good at something if they can do it at all. Their reasoning for adding it, people mistakenly do it a lot even though that's not how the rules work, is dumb. Only PCs being able to crit is also dumb. A system where only "heroic" characters (PCs, some bosses) is fine, but this just feels artificial.

Offline Kremlin K.O.A.

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: The new UA Playtest to make 6e (or 1D&D)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 02:56:56 AM »
The Nat 20 = Auto Success thing can be silly,  but it came with something WotC thought would mitigate it
"For a roll to be applicable the DC must be no lower than 5 and no higher than 30"

Which means if the DC is below 5, Auto Success
And if it is above 30, Auto fail.

And this applies to Saving throws and attack rolls as well.

So if you wrangle an AC of 31... Nothing can succeed on an attack roll against you.
Tank that Tarrasque