Author Topic: [3.5] Souls  (Read 32726 times)

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5] Souls
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2013, 09:40:24 AM »
What would you think of PHB Human with one of the above (lesser) plane-touched templates? Playing a Verold race would be cool, and I might still (depending on which feat build I use), but with such a feat-hungry class, giving up that extra slot is tough.
Seems fine... What about the LA?

Theoretically, making it a Lesser version would remove the LA. So, no [Outsider] type or traits.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2013, 09:53:19 AM »
geniussavant, are you going to focus on ranged, melee, or random whatever with your Harrowed?  I've played one so I can point you to my natural weapon focused guy if you need some direction.

I was thinking of going the ranged route, but at level two I think he's going to be pretty useless outside of combat. How did yours function ooc?

No reason you can't make a harrowed more versatile, though, depending on what harrowings you pick.

It's got rules on that:
(click to show/hide)

Missed that section, whoops.

Which of the two classes do the rest of the group think will function better in our group dynamic?

Ps. If anybody has a homebrew class they want to see playtested, I'll look it over.
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2013, 01:44:55 PM »
He actually hasn't hit an out of combat situation yet, and looking at him he has tracking and social skills and that's it for out of combat utility.  Also he's level 12 and evil.  I'm not sure just how much you could actually get from him now that I think about it.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2013, 02:24:05 PM »
No worries, I was afraid that he wouldn't have much ooc ability. I've been looking over xenoalchemist more and more. I think I'm gonna go with it. Any ideas for homebrew races? And here's my roll for grafts because of skipping level 1:
Rolled 1d3 : 1, total 1
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2013, 05:36:30 PM »
Because I can't edit my earlier post without it coming up invalidating the roll, I'm double posting.

Which would fit in the party better: a warforged seeking to become closer to life by removing parts of his metal structure or a daelkyr half blood trying to recover the only way he knows how after a grievous injury?

Edit: Usually natural attacks are augmented by str, but in the XA grafts section, it doesn't make any mention of that particular area. Do I get any str bonus to damage with the natural attacks granted from the class?

EditII: I'm just going to go human, seems the simplest. Dhb's crawling gauntlet doesn't grant a claw attack if you already have one, and the warforged's wis hit will probably hurt my heal checks more than the benefits I'd get would help. What are you're thoughts on the climate templates from Drmag 306, specifically arctic's +2 con/-2 cha
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 06:16:20 PM by geniussavant »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2013, 10:04:53 PM »
Looking for approval on this system, I'd be going for the Cyberneticist class

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2013, 10:57:32 PM »
Here is a rudimentary build sketch for approval:

2nd level Xenoalchemist Human
Flaws: Vulnerable(srd), Bestial Instinct(drmag324)
Feats: HD1-Knowledge Devotion(CC), Human-Master of Knowledge(HH), Flaw1-Keen Intellect(OA/UE), Flaw2-Weapon Finesse(PHB/Houserules)
Point Buy: Str 10(2), Dex 16(10), Con 16(10), Int 16(10), Wis 8(0), Cha 8(0)
Graft gained during level 1: probably Claw for 1d6(+dex+knowledge devotion+surgical precision)

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2013, 01:54:02 AM »
LN Lesser Zenythri Kensai of the Five Rings

I couldn't find any 'real' homebrew.races that felt like they worked
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2013, 11:18:34 AM »
Theoretically, making it a Lesser version would remove the LA. So, no [Outsider] type or traits.
Leave off the ability modifications and it's a deal.

Edit: Usually natural attacks are augmented by str, but in the XA grafts section, it doesn't make any mention of that particular area. Do I get any str bonus to damage with the natural attacks granted from the class?
Same as you would with any other natural attack.

What are you're thoughts on the climate templates from Drmag 306, specifically arctic's +2 con/-2 cha
Fine by me. I thought those were UA, though?

Looking for approval on this system, I'd be going for the Cyberneticist class
Does that fit? It's more SF, right?

Here is a rudimentary build sketch for approval:

2nd level Xenoalchemist Human
Flaws: Vulnerable(srd), Bestial Instinct(drmag324)
Feats: HD1-Knowledge Devotion(CC), Human-Master of Knowledge(HH), Flaw1-Keen Intellect(OA/UE), Flaw2-Weapon Finesse(PHB/Houserules)
Point Buy: Str 10(2), Dex 16(10), Con 16(10), Int 16(10), Wis 8(0), Cha 8(0)
Graft gained during level 1: probably Claw for 1d6(+dex+knowledge devotion+surgical precision)
What's Bestial Instinct do?

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2013, 01:19:35 PM »
The ones in drmag are different than the ones in UA. They don't really do a whole lot, but some give even ability changes. Arctic, among a few flavor bits, grants +2 con at the expense of -2 cha.

Bestial instinct inflicts a -2 penalty on hit modifiers when using any weapon besides unarmed strikes and natural weapons.

Edit: will we be getting equipment fairly early on? And would you like a list of equipment that we would like?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 01:52:47 PM by geniussavant »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2013, 07:49:03 PM »
If that's too sci-fi I'm not sure what I want to play.

Hmm...a lot of the homebrew I really like is a bit more complicated than I think I want to deal with.

I'll throw some stuff out there.

Ætherforge
Blood King using Welknair's bloodlines
Wild Hunt

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2013, 07:25:04 PM »
The ones in drmag are different than the ones in UA. They don't really do a whole lot, but some give even ability changes. Arctic, among a few flavor bits, grants +2 con at the expense of -2 cha.

Bestial instinct inflicts a -2 penalty on hit modifiers when using any weapon besides unarmed strikes and natural weapons.
Seems fine.

Edit: will we be getting equipment fairly early on? And would you like a list of equipment that we would like?
You will be getting it early, yes. I don't need a list, but you should know roughly what you'll need.

If that's too sci-fi I'm not sure what I want to play.
I'm not vetoing it outright, but making it fit into the setting might be tricky.

Ætherforge
Wild Hunt
I'll take a look at these.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2013, 09:04:50 PM »
I've got a decent idea of what I'd like, nothing specific though. I was mostly asking due to the character's need for a doc's bag of tools.

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2013, 05:17:23 PM »
Ætherforge
Wild Hunt
The Wild Hunt is a big deal in this setting, so that might make trouble for me. Other two are fine, though.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2013, 05:38:59 PM »
Ætherforge
Wild Hunt
The Wild Hunt is a big deal in this setting, so that might make trouble for me. Other two are fine, though.

In that case given the low level and slow posting rate I'm going to go with Blood King, hopefully it won't turn into too much paperwork for me.

Edit: When do you want completed sheets by?

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2013, 07:38:23 AM »
No deadline; we'll start when they're done.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2013, 12:47:41 AM »
Would I be allowed an Arctic(Drmag306) lesser Ice Para-Genasi? The Con bonus will help in the long term considerably.

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2013, 04:41:45 PM »
+6 con? or am I reading something wrong?

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2013, 06:20:00 PM »
+6 con, you're reading it right. Xenoalchemist is fairly mad so I went looking for a decent race that wouldn't give horrible problems in the city. Not that stitching monster parts to his body is gonna help.

Offline Quillwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2013, 03:53:35 PM »
+6 con, you're reading it right. Xenoalchemist is fairly mad so I went looking for a decent race that wouldn't give horrible problems in the city.
Makes sense. Okayed, I guess.