Author Topic: Intelligent Item campaign-PCs play as the equipment! (D&D 3.5)  (Read 40294 times)

Offline MrRoboto

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Intelligent Item campaign-PCs play as the equipment! (D&D 3.5)
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2014, 05:37:13 PM »
I've asked on the II monster thread about giving us a way to qualify for feats with attribute prerequisites. If we get one, you can take TWF (or I will if you don't want to .)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2014, 05:43:05 PM »
If I'm going to end up wielding myself, I'd just take Mystic Dream instead. Why I would do this when I then have STR and DEX 8, I don't quite know.

Offline Threadnaught

• 1% good ideas 99% crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2014, 07:52:12 PM »
That reminds me that I had a question about that skipped.

If I enchant myself with an enhancement bonus to a stat, does it only apply the boost to the person I am equipped to or both of us?

Some one else probably is having a Con boost....I'd want Cha but that decision relates to the question.
Hmm,  ok, you benefit from whatever effects you grant to your wielder because of your own enanchments.

Can we enchant ourselves for bonuses to any stat, not limited by slot? If so, are other abilities limited by slot (eg could the boots be enchanted with the effect of a belt of battle)?
Ah, what the hell, I'll say yes to that as long as you can come with an half-plausible explanation better than "a wizard did it for the lulz". :P

Ooh nice, I should probably try to get the effectiveness of Gwaeron's Boots at some point. Dragons have Scent as well as Darkvision, right?

While we're benefitting from effects that we grant the wielder and whatever buffs the wielder has active, do we benefit from other Magic Items' effects?

This isn't the Christmas Tree Effect. :twitch
It's the New York at Christmas Effect. :plotting

If NPCs that use Detect Magic on our Barbarian friend, aren't blinded, I will not take the DM seriously, like at all.

Edit: Would Whirling Blade allow Raineh Daze to use Manouvers on their own? Provided they were willing to be thrown of course.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:27:35 PM by Threadnaught »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2014, 07:55:53 PM »
I ain't magic, I'm just very well made. :P

Offline Threadnaught

• 1% good ideas 99% crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2014, 08:51:10 PM »
I ain't magic, I'm just very well made. :P

Maybe, but if the ruling allows it, then I'll stop merely considering it as a Spell choice and just snap it up. ;)

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2014, 09:36:24 PM »
Though I suppose I could suffice with just a combo of "Item looks ridiculous" & "Character is polymorphed into a specific creature (5% chance [01–05 on d%] each day)." (A Horrid Lion (Horrid template from ECS on a Dire Lion) would be beautiful :3 aaaaand considering it IS a spirit lion totem barbarian apparently.....but that is just a lovely coincidence as it's more because I am looking at the Alternate Form feat by Prime32 and picking a cat and the Horrid stuff at least gives me a decent image of something suiting the Scary theme of this hat! )
Despite what some media may make you think, transforming the wielder into a super strong creature isn't much of a curse.
Would also interfere with the wielding some of your allies bit.

Okay okay, but it's a fun idea :p
How bout just Item Looks Ridiculous & Wielder is selfishly possessive about the item :D

Ideas (all from the Magic Item Compendium)

Useful even if only the Dwarf can use the abilities
Horned Helm (8000): fluff it as the cat ears being really sharp. Dwarf has pounce so more attacks are always good.
Helm of Gazes (5000): Ignore 3 gazes/day. It could come up and it'd be really handy if it did.
Bear Helm (1500): Forget the description exists and you've got a solid counter to something that could really ruin our day
Mindvault (8000): Another counter for things that potentially make us all cry metal tears.
Scout's Headband (3400): True Seeing is good and I don't think we have it yet.

Useful if you can also use the abilities
Circlet of Mages (5000):  basically 3 spell levels of pearl of power/day  and +2 concentration.
Circlet of Rapid Casting (15000): Compares favorably with Lesser Metamagic Rod (Quicken) which is a good place to be.

Of course they're good ideas but I'm trying really hard to make an II that isn't tailored specifically for this Dwarf. :p
I guess I gotta have the Circlets tho.

Bailey the Cursed Cat in a Hat
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2014, 09:38:19 PM »
You keep biting Sakaki? >:T

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2014, 09:45:09 PM »
Her hands smell delicious :T

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2014, 09:48:48 PM »
You are a disgusting monster. ;~;

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2014, 10:47:48 PM »
Hat*

Offline Kasz

• The God-Emperor protects, the Omnissiah provides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2014, 07:34:05 AM »
Any ideas for the spellbook? It's a whole lot of wealth and I can really think of are Relic books, Tomes of Worldly Memory and then the stat increasing books.

Not really what I'm aiming at. I think I'm going for mostly buffing spells and divinations in terms of my spells known though.

Offline MrRoboto

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2014, 07:22:56 PM »
Metamagic Rods Chapters.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2014, 08:41:50 PM »
I suggest our casters take Somatic weaponry so the Dwarf can slash while he casts and cast while he slashes.
Hmm.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2014, 08:46:29 PM »
I cast my spells myself :3
But I should grab it anyways because I just realized I took Reach Spell but never picked up any spells to use it with...

But oh my god this is exactly the feat I've been looking for for a long time for exactly the type of magic-swordsman concept this feat allows. What with drawing the magic in the air with your sword :v
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 08:48:19 PM by ketaro »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2014, 01:48:21 PM »
Feat-swapping? Doesn't that take levelling up? :huh

And the dorf couldn't get an ancient temple stance so can't take Mystic Dream. I think. He has enough Dex for TWF, I see. Dorf, take TWF! You have two axes in your appearance anyway! Take the flaw that lowers your will saves! :lmao
Gonna do that.

That reminds me that I had a question about that skipped.

If I enchant myself with an enhancement bonus to a stat, does it only apply the boost to the person I am equipped to or both of us?

Some one else probably is having a Con boost....I'd want Cha but that decision relates to the question.
Hmm,  ok, you benefit from whatever effects you grant to your wielder because of your own enanchments.

Can we enchant ourselves for bonuses to any stat, not limited by slot? If so, are other abilities limited by slot (eg could the boots be enchanted with the effect of a belt of battle)?
Ah, what the hell, I'll say yes to that as long as you can come with an half-plausible explanation better than "a wizard did it for the lulz". :P

Ooh nice, I should probably try to get the effectiveness of Gwaeron's Boots at some point. Dragons have Scent as well as Darkvision, right?

While we're benefitting from effects that we grant the wielder and whatever buffs the wielder has active, do we benefit from other Magic Items' effects?
No. You are equiped on the wielder, not each other.

Edit: Would Whirling Blade allow Raineh Daze to use Manouvers on their own? Provided they were willing to be thrown of course.
No, since they're not being wielded while being thrown.

Though I suppose I could suffice with just a combo of "Item looks ridiculous" & "Character is polymorphed into a specific creature (5% chance [01–05 on d%] each day)." (A Horrid Lion (Horrid template from ECS on a Dire Lion) would be beautiful :3 aaaaand considering it IS a spirit lion totem barbarian apparently.....but that is just a lovely coincidence as it's more because I am looking at the Alternate Form feat by Prime32 and picking a cat and the Horrid stuff at least gives me a decent image of something suiting the Scary theme of this hat! )
Despite what some media may make you think, transforming the wielder into a super strong creature isn't much of a curse.
Would also interfere with the wielding some of your allies bit.

Okay okay, but it's a fun idea :p
How bout just Item Looks Ridiculous & Wielder is selfishly possessive about the item :D
Good to go.

Ideas (all from the Magic Item Compendium)

Useful even if only the Dwarf can use the abilities
Horned Helm (8000): fluff it as the cat ears being really sharp. Dwarf has pounce so more attacks are always good.
Helm of Gazes (5000): Ignore 3 gazes/day. It could come up and it'd be really handy if it did.
Bear Helm (1500): Forget the description exists and you've got a solid counter to something that could really ruin our day
Mindvault (8000): Another counter for things that potentially make us all cry metal tears.
Scout's Headband (3400): True Seeing is good and I don't think we have it yet.

Useful if you can also use the abilities
Circlet of Mages (5000):  basically 3 spell levels of pearl of power/day  and +2 concentration.
Circlet of Rapid Casting (15000): Compares favorably with Lesser Metamagic Rod (Quicken) which is a good place to be.

Of course they're good ideas but I'm trying really hard to make an II that isn't tailored specifically for this Dwarf. :p
I guess I gotta have the Circlets tho.

Bailey the Cursed Cat in a Hat
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Looking fabulous there! :D

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2014, 02:22:22 PM »
Aaaaand complete. It remains a very risky, but possible, option for me to try killing things if the Dorf has his hands full. XD

Life & Death

Level 10 Intelligent Item (Youkai Forged Blades)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 02:24:45 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline MrRoboto

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2014, 07:47:29 PM »
In case anyone isn't monitoring the II thread, we can now use physical feats.

Ability text:

It can ignore any feat prerequisite that demands an physical ability score, but only benefits from that feat while carried with a wielder that meets said physical ability score, or meets it while on DiF form.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2014, 08:05:58 PM »
Whoa it's too bad Raineh can't put Dancing on her axes :o

Offline MrRoboto

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2014, 08:22:24 PM »
If an II took Shock Trooper and used Heedless Charge, who would take the AC penalty? The item or the wielder?

Also, Thrashing Dragon?

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2014, 05:31:37 PM »
If an II took Shock Trooper and used Heedless Charge, who would take the AC penalty? The item or the wielder?
Does your II has a way to move on its own to actually use a charge?

Also, Thrashing Dragon?

Hmm, that looks like really, really lazy design, as in "steal the best maneuvers from Diamond Mind, Iron Heart and Tiger Claw and call it a day".

But ok, I'll allow it, with the changes that it works with Balance now, and any maneuvers with an initiation action of "attack action" change to standard action.

EDIT:Players with characters so far:
Ketaro
Raineh Daze
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 05:38:27 PM by oslecamo »