Author Topic: Chapter 1 - The Sacred Elderberries of the Winter Lord  (Read 14572 times)

Offline Archon

• View Profile
Re: Chapter 1 - The Sacred Elderberries of the Winter Lord
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2019, 10:47:13 PM »
1:10"You *are* mercenaries, surely? Why would you lie when the truth can serve as elegantly"

Offline Arccosecant

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2019, 01:00:34 AM »
Maxim begins walking out of the grove as well.
"Whatever degree of truth is required, I would not be opposed to claiming something that is not an outright lie. At this moment, I would consider claiming myself to be a bodyguard closer to the truth than if I were to claim to be a mercenary."
He hesitates, for a moment, before speaking again.
"I am Maxim, and I have previously had combat training by the Church, though I am capable of using a power beyond what the Church teaches."

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2019, 01:47:38 AM »
Lobinha starts moving out too.

: "Hello Maxim, good to see a worker from the faith. But we should prepare our case and presentation, whatever story we tell, we need to make sure all the pieces fit together, leave no room for doubt to those who listen to us, make everything as clear as black on white."

:"It'll be simpler if one of us plays the role of some important, rich noble or mechant looking for entertainment and the others be their bodyguards, maids, lovers, pets, whatever. I volunteer myself for the dangerous position of important person, which will surely make me the main focus of attention, giving you the openings for doing dirty stuff."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:21:51 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2019, 11:15:24 AM »
"Mercenaries take all types of jobs, I have a little more discretion than that," Yuki quibbles, frowning at all of Anoitecer's suggestions, "If I were to play a role in this deception, I would rather be considered an associate or friend than your subordinate."

She thought it was a well-founded concern: neither her general attire nor her preparations for battle screamed "for hire". That she had some difficulty operating in polite society hardly changed that she was still a step above the peasantry... and accepting a position to pose as this fairy's subordinate would mean allowing Fuyuko to work for her too. That simply wasn't acceptable. Indeed, as she followed along, the assassin had taken the yuki-onna's hand in hers. Quite the worryingly charismatic bunch...

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2019, 05:51:17 PM »
You march on, taking your preparations as you see fit.

Soon you arrive at the gate, getting a better sense of your bearings. The gate itself is shut with a portcullis, behind it waiting two Red Guards with muskets at the ready and a middle-aged NCO watching over them in turn. There is a guard house in plain sight behind the three, and some of the civvies mulling about behind them are obvious plaincloth guards to the more street-savvy among you.

Anoitecer, being appointed as the noble leader, takes point speaking to them and requesting entry.

"Regularly, the gate tax would be 8 copper kopeks per head."

"However, after some incidents we no longer take in strangers after sundown."

"Incidents that have been very costly for our meager widows and orphans fund, I would like to add."

"Of course, we sometimes make an exception for individuals who have proven their well-meaning nature, and as you, fair lady, seem to be both of a charitable disposition and to be the kind of person who doesn't hate widows and orphans, we might be able to make an arrangement that makes the world a better place overall."

"An arrangement that will bring a little ray of sunshine into the lifes of a few widows and orphans."

*coughs and visibly eyes Anoitecer's disguise as a rich noblewoman* "Of quite a few widows and orphans, I'd rather hope, considering the sizeable depth of your purse and the great need those very poor wretches suffer from. You are not the kind of person who hates orphans and widows, are you? A person of such sinful and hate-filled nature wouldn't be welcome in our town anyway."

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2019, 11:04:14 AM »
While Lobinha discretly pulls down her hoodie to hide her furry ears and focusing on projecting out her dragon blood to relax the situation, the moon fairy smiles brightly, almost glowing.

:"I had heard about the exceptional morals of the Scarlet Guard protecting the Old Chancel, but truly the stories don't do you enough justice. Indeed it would be an insult to donate only copper for the orphans and widows you watch over, so I shall offer you bright silver instead. No, no need to thank me gentlemen, I'm the one who should thank you for offering me such a valuable chance to help those in need. Well, let us be off everybody, and I'll make sure to spread the word about your hard and good work."

While speaking, Anoitecer pulls out a dozen silver coins and hands them to the red crooks.

: "My fairy Lady is so generous."

:"Why yes I am, hohoho!"

(click to show/hide)

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2019, 02:20:48 PM »
The guards eye the meagre "donation" with some obvious disappointment, but are impressed enough by Anoitecer's silver tongue to lift the portcullis anyway and let the strange procession in.

"Enjoy your stay, though as a word of advice you won't find the sellers of amenities as cheaply satisfied as the hungry orphans and widows just yearning for a loaf of bread."

As soon as the street bends out of sight of the guard house, Scarlet Women Lane shows its true face. It begins with seemingly innocent taverns, inns and "healers" hiding their juicier offerings in their backrooms, but the offered entertainments become soon more blatant and explicite.
Red Guards become a much rarer sight, and more concerned with chasing away beggars harassing paying visitors and taking away drunkards ruining the experience for all.
Plenty of unlit alleys and backyards line the street, offering a place to do any preparations unseen if anyone should feel the need for them.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2019, 04:29:04 PM »
As you approach Scarlet Women Lane 37, the streets become emptier, save for some entertainers and patrons hurriedly scurrying away from the general direction you are going. As soon as you get around the bend that brings #37 within sight, you know the reason why.

With glee, a middle-aged nun spurs a group of white-robed teen girls to take rotten vegetables and eggs from a handcart and throw it at house #37. One of the teen girls, with some white highlights in her very fair blonde hair and hints of pointed ears that might betray Snow Fey ancestry, is sobbing and obviously unwilling to take part. The nun smacks her backside with her mace and turns her full attention to her:

"Tanya Gravesend, you must finally put out of your mind the lies your mother told you about having been fathered by the Baron. She is just a gold-digging strumpet trying to smear an upstanding pillar of the monastery for a few quick coins. Besides, you will have to sever all your ties and claims to the mortal world once you enter your noviciate - and being given the opportunity to enter the noviciate is your only chance to cleanse your sullied soul from the sinfulness your have inherited and be spared from the fires down below. So now go on with it!"

Threateningly, the nun lifts her mace, announcing a harder and more hurtful smack this time. Still sobbing and fearfully eyeing the mace, the half-elf girl grabs a moldy carrot and throws it at the house, with little enthusiasm.

Four White Guards of short but stocky build carrying greatswords and burning torches overlook the scene, obviously just itching for an excuse to rough up any sinful harlot, or anyone else getting into the way of this holy quest to make Old Chancel a better place.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2019, 11:49:28 PM »
Wonderful, the person they needed to speak with--and perhaps the title claimant they were meant to assist--was being forced into a nunnery. That wouldn't do at all, and these weren't simple gate guards who would be talked out of it. They were fanatics. Fanatics who just so happened to regularly get into brawls with the red guard for spoiling their fun. The talking could come after.

"Fuyuko, get back. Everyone else... let me get the drop on them..." Yuki mutters, turning the corner, and immediately going for the stealthy approach--disappearing into shadow and then attempting to appear in the one spot nobody would think to look. Under their own cart.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 11:55:11 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2019, 01:18:08 AM »
: "Wait, I'm sure we can talk things out... Or we can start with the punishing right away, sure, why not."

:"My, how lucky, we've seen to found our target right away. Shall us save the fair maiden with due speed?"

Lobinha sighs and discretly pulls her rod of remorse and starts scribbling on it while eyeing the mace nun.

: "Let's see, for Sin #1, dirtying the street.... For Sin #2, wasting perfectly rotten food that could be turned to compost or fed to pigs or something... Hey Anoitecer, get ready to make me wet, ok?"

:"Oh you want me to get you all wet? Right now in public? Have you got no shame?"

: "You know what I mean. Just get that water ready."

The moon fairy discretly flies up giggling so she's floating over Lobinha, pulls a waterskin and opens it, pretending to take a sip but holding it precariously so it will spill over Lobinha should Anoitecer drop it.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2019, 02:11:38 PM »
Yuki unfolds from beneath the cart, stepping up to the nun and lashing out with a single strike--though a misleading shadowy second strike appears to mislead the target's defence. Without saying a word, of course, better that they try to work out what was going on themselves.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2019, 02:18:07 PM »
The nun gets hit hard in the stomach and staggers back - reeling and with a flimsy grip to consciousness, but still well enough to fight even if barely so.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 02:37:44 PM by Skyrock »

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2019, 10:07:42 PM »
Zadiel steps forward in light and glory. She takes her longsword and goes to attack the nun. Nonlethally. Hopefully if she's defeated, the others will cower. Or just, the nun won't keep getting stabbed. Or, at worst, people will attack Zadkiel over squishier opponents.

"May the heavens forgive me for this violence I am about to inflict" she mutters under her breath as she swings the pommel of her longsword into the nun.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2019, 10:02:12 AM »
The nun topples like a heavily pushed bag of potatoes, leaving her unconscious on the ground.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2019, 03:17:31 AM »
Lobinha takes a deep breath, subtly changing stances from somebody ready to act to somebody react to talk, then suddenly rushes forward while speaking:

: "Do you even have any idea how wrong you are? A child is not guilty of her mother's sins, and that's assuming the mother is indeed guilty. Did either receive a fair judgement? I demand to see the papers. Blahblahblah do the right thing blahblahblah Don't do the wrong thing."

Then she throws her rod of remorse at the closest guard in sight, the hard piece of wood suddenly surrounded by fire and electricity yet mostly just inflicting pain before bouncing back to Lobinha's stretched hand.

: "Actively picking up good news. This is the good deed you can do right now."

(click to show/hide)

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2019, 08:18:41 AM »
One of the White Guards gets hit hard by Lobinhas rod, and the smell of burnt flesh fills the nostrils of Yuki and Zadkiel. He is still up in fighting shape, but visibly hurt.

The girls are the first to react to the sudden attack and scream frightfully. The tallest and possibly oldest one of them, a human with raven tresses, grabs the mace that the nun dropped, holds it up awkwardly in a way that makes it clear that she has no idea what she is doing, while using her free hand to urge the other girls towards a corner away from the violence.

The wounded guard is the first among the White Guards to snap out of his confusion, and shouts "Bog vult!" while charging at Lobinha. His wide swing wildly misses, but it helps to get the others into action. Under more shouts of "Bog vult!", Yuki easily evades another clumsy swing, while a much better aimed one barely misses Zadkiel.

Only one of the guards keeps his coolness and positions himself between the attackers and the teen girls. He frantically waves at the raven girl to follow the others. "Sophia, get away! Those thugs want to kill you!"
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 08:24:52 AM by Skyrock »

Offline Arccosecant

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2019, 09:01:31 PM »
White fire encircles both of Maxim's hands as he brings them up toward the guards. Six projectiles of solidified light speed toward the guards.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 09:27:10 PM by Arccosecant »

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2019, 01:55:14 PM »
The White Guard threatening Lobinha comes under a hail of soul arrows. While two arrows whizz past him and he knocks another to the side, the fourth one hits him in the throat, downing him and leaving him instantly dead in a growing pool of red, slick blood.

The remaining two soul arrows go at the White Guard standing alone waiting for something, but whizz by.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 01:57:22 PM by Skyrock »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2019, 02:33:29 PM »
Yuki follows up her initial introduction with a concentrated strike at another guard.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2019, 02:43:40 PM »
The guard zigs when he should have zagged, and takes a heavy hit to the solarplexus.

Yuki could swear that he should be lying down dying and bleeding out after such a mighty and well-aimed blow, but somehow, he still manages to stand on his feet, keeping up the fight as his life ebbs away.

(click to show/hide)