Author Topic: Chapter 1: A New Beginning  (Read 128775 times)

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 1: A New Beginning
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2016, 05:13:27 PM »
Samuel pulls a hip flask from his coat pocket and takes a sip while the interrogation is beginning. He leans up against a wall, available should they need him, but out of the way. At the mention of rain raw chicken or squirrel, he perks up.

"Aren't you worried 'bout eatin' raw meat? Makes most sicker than a dog."
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2016, 01:22:00 AM »
"I didn't say raw, I said living."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2016, 08:19:08 AM »
Elizabeth sighs and puts her forehead between her first two fingers and thumb.

"This is less than productive. I think we should either see where the tracks go, or look to coordinating the town's defense before heading to Philadelphia."

Bhu, do I recognize the circle on the ground? If so, do I know how long it lasts?

Knowledge (TMWNMTK) = 1d20+11

Rolled 1d20+11 : 5 + 11, total 16
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 08:20:43 AM by RobbyPants »
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 10:03:35 AM »
"Next time he's ready to eat, I want to be here. Maybe I could learn a little something. "
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2016, 12:18:06 AM »
wobby

(click to show/hide)

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2016, 08:29:14 AM »
"Next time he's ready to eat, I want to be here. Maybe I could learn a little something. "
Elizabeth smirks slightly.

"Looking at that circle more closely, I think anyone who goes in can't come out. I'm not sure if entering from the outside will break it, or not. In fact, him asking for a live animal may be a ploy to do just that. So. no live animals are to cross that circle, for the time being"

Sense Motive to see if I think he's trying to trick me into breaking the circle: 1d20+10
Rolled 1d20+10 : 10 + 10, total 20

"I think our three priorities should be: first, to fill in other constables about the handling of this man here. Second, we should investigate those tracks before the rain destroys them. I'd like to get a good idea where they're heading. Thirdly, we should see to the town's defenses, and head out to Philadelphia.

How does everyone feel about that?"
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2016, 04:51:18 PM »
wobby 
(click to show/hide)

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2016, 09:31:39 PM »
To group: "Just to reiterate: nothing live passes through that circle.

Is everyone fine with the plan?"
My creations

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2016, 07:55:50 PM »
"Nothing live, got it. You seem to know quite a bit about these things. Study them somewhere?" He directs his question at Elizabeth.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2016, 08:14:03 AM »
To Samuel: "I learned some... tricks over the years as my studies have taken me out of the realm of the strictly mundane. I can go into more detail when we're not around the prisoner."

To the group, away from the prisoner: "I have a bit of an understanding of how these sorts of things work, but there is just... so much to learn. And the more I learn of it, the less sense everything else makes. It's rather disappointing to see twenty years of scientific study become somewhat obviated.

As for the 'tricks', I can turn myself into a hawk or rat, banish creatures from the other realm out of this one, 'burn' things, for lack of a better word; it's not really fire. I can gain some control over the minds of others, usually as a distraction or to make them more friendly or receptive; it's not actual mind control. I can make people see or hear things that aren't there, view a location remotely, and provide some amount of physical protection for myself.

Now, some of these things I only have a passing knowledge of, and they all come at a bit of a... cost. Using them tends to weaken me and give me one hell of a headache. It's why I usually stick to more traditional methods of investigation. Given what we're up against, I may be in for some more headaches, soon."

OOC: By this point, working with Elizabeth, you would know she has some knowledge of these types of things, but you might not have seen her cast a spell directly. She does so sparingly.
My creations

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2016, 12:43:30 PM »
To Elizabeth when she is talking about her tricks:

"I would love for you to tell me more when we have them time. Always looking to learn something new. It's why I became a doctor."

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2016, 05:26:56 PM »
After informing the other constables of the prisoner, you head off into the woods on horseback.

Survival rolls to follow tracks plz

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2016, 09:26:43 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2016, 08:07:49 AM »
Survival -> 1d20+1

Rolled 1d20+1 : 8 + 1, total 9
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2016, 05:26:51 PM »
:headdesks:  Okay Sol, save da party

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2016, 06:06:01 PM »
rollin' fer sol

Rolled 1d20+1 : 20 + 1, total 21

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2016, 06:07:59 PM »
Damn...

Okay it's getting harder and harder to follow but the tracks lead to an old farm of some sort.  Probably an outcast who didn't fit in in one of the towns and moved to the middle of nowhere to live.  There are no lights on, and the doors and shutters are open.  You hear nothing but the howling of the wind and rain.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2016, 08:30:40 AM »
Do the tracks stop somewhere abruptly or lead to a building, or something?
My creations

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2016, 12:09:47 PM »
Cheeky bastard was smiling at him.  Grinning like a madman.  Looked more like a mad bloodthirsty predator than a man from this angle.  A bit too much to be honest.  Lionel figured the punk was trying to rattle him, reverse this interration.  That meant this one was smart, but Lionel was too, he wasn't about to be outdone.

"Heh."  He offered a cold grin in return.  "Grinning in the face of danger, raw living meat... you're a real sick one, but the act doesn't work.  I've seen people worse than you, the only kind of monster you are in the human kind."

He leaned back and slid the stool he was sitting in to the side carelessly.  "Come on, he's not talking.  Let him stew a bit, we've evidence to collect.  I'm sure we'll have enough to bag his ass.  Don't let him out of your sight."  He slapped the nearest guard (or PC) on the back and will follow them.  Quietly to Elizabeth as they leave, he mutters "You don't actually believe the hocus pocus, do ya?  I know you like your tricks, but those are just parlour stuff."  Barnes always was the superstitious type.  Just like John was.  Rambling on about spells and magic and other nonsense.  He may not be a skeptic in the supernatural, but 'giant monster' was not his first go to explination for this.  He'd get to the bottom of it, he was sure of that.

He'll leave with the others.  The others must be rattled, bcause somehow he's the one who finds the trail (thanks for rolling for me Bhu).  Tracks.  These were people footprints, and there wasn't much to go on that these were related to the case.  But these tracks were all they had for the moment, and it was time to see what lay at the end of this path.
Mudada.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2016, 03:06:02 PM »
Quietly to Elizabeth as they leave, he mutters "You don't actually believe the hocus pocus, do ya?  I know you like your tricks, but those are just parlour stuff." 

"It took me a while to accept it, but yes. I've spent two decades studying chemistry, mechanics, and natural science. It was hard for me to come to grips to, when I was confronted by other... truths. I had to see them with my own eyes to believe it. I believe in studying things through observation in a controlled fashion and learning from them. The things I've seen are not explained by natural science."
My creations