Author Topic: [Discussion] Stark Industries discussion thread  (Read 27757 times)

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
Re: [Discussion] Stark Industries discussion thread
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2012, 08:54:45 AM »
Nat weapons work like this: you get x amount at your highest BAB with your primary, and then all secondaries are at -5 (or less if you take feats).  Iteratives are irrelevant.

So, in a Standard action, you can attack with 1 primary nat. weapon, and in a Full attack, you attack once with all your nat. weapons, but secondaries are at a -5 (pending feats).  Correct?

Also:
Bolter Guns: At 4th level, the Anaxim adds two Bolter Guns to its arsenal. A Bolter Gun is a built-in ranged weapon with a range increment of 120 feet that deals damage equal to 1d6 +Strength modifier, and counts as both a natural weapon and as a manufactured weapon, including being able to perform iterative attacks if the Anaxim has enough Bab and attacking with them both in a full-attack without penalty. The Anaxim will never run out bolts to fire. In a full attack it can combine its Bolter Guns with other ranged weapons, but not melee attacks.
I posted this in the Anaxim thread, but I'll also post it here.  It doesn't specifically say, but do you think the Bolter Guns count as primaries?  I think that's what the part about "attacking with them both in a full-attack w/o penalty" means.

EDIT: and the difference in pricing is that Flay has a feat which reduces the base price.
SWEET!  Flay, what all can you craft?  Or -possibly easier to answer - what can't you craft? Nevermind, looked at your sheet.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:00:59 AM by FireInTheSky »

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2012, 08:55:19 AM »
I thought the Anaxims weapons are just so you can change damage type and maybe put different abilities. I don't believe you can use all six together. Maybe four (slam, slam, swift change to drills, drill, drill), but I think it is meant as two natural attacks only. Of course SirP's ruling sounds much better :)

Edit: my opinion is that bolter guns are primary weapons and you can either shoot them as manufactured (with iterative attacks and maybe use both of them if you have two wepon fighting) or as natural weapons (where you get only 2 attacks at full-BA, one with each, much like what happen when you have 2 slam attacks.)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:01:57 AM by samnemath »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2012, 09:00:39 AM »
Nat weapons work like this: you get x amount at your highest BAB with your primary, and then all secondaries are at -5 (or less if you take feats).  Iteratives are irrelevant.

So, in a Standard action, you can attack with 1 primary nat. weapon, and in a Full attack, you attack once with all your nat. weapons, but secondaries are at a -5 (pending feats).  Correct?
You can attack with all nat weapons you have active -- so only two melees at a time, since the other four are inactive.  Sam I think is right, though.

Also:
Bolter Guns: At 4th level, the Anaxim adds two Bolter Guns to its arsenal. A Bolter Gun is a built-in ranged weapon with a range increment of 120 feet that deals damage equal to 1d6 +Strength modifier, and counts as both a natural weapon and as a manufactured weapon, including being able to perform iterative attacks if the Anaxim has enough Bab and attacking with them both in a full-attack without penalty. The Anaxim will never run out bolts to fire. In a full attack it can combine its Bolter Guns with other ranged weapons, but not melee attacks.
I posted this in the Anaxim thread, but I'll also post it here.  It doesn't specifically say, but do you think the Bolter Guns count as primaries?  I think that's what the part about "attacking with them both in a full-attack w/o penalty" means.
Yes, they're primaries.  And I think basically what it means is that you can make iterative attacks with one and also make an attack with another, as if it was TWF, but with no penalties. So you get iteratives +1.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2012, 09:06:15 AM »

You can attack with all nat weapons you have active -- so only two melees at a time, since the other four are inactive.  Sam I think is right, though.

Sam is right about 2 attacks, swift to swap, 2 more attacks?  Nice.

So, Boz or Venn, will one of you have Craft Wondrous?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2012, 09:13:33 AM »
And Boz, will you be using one of those Beer Keg Helmets?  Potions stored in there count as "held" for MB stuff.

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2012, 09:33:08 AM »
Four is the greatest  number you can possibly do I think, since you only have one swift action. I would guess the intention was two though. Seems little strange to allow 4 natural attacks at full-BA at 1st level. But other than that both seem equally possible. I guess oslecano will respond and tells us.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2012, 10:24:25 AM »
I can probably nab it if no one else can, sure.

And Boz, will you be using one of those Beer Keg Helmets?  Potions stored in there count as "held" for MB stuff.
That would look incredibly silly!

So probably.
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2012, 10:27:11 AM »
I knock off 25% from the base cost, then it's half of that. Same for xp, but you'd need to pay for the xp (which is 5 gp per 1 xp), and tack that on to the price.

For example, a +1 sword. 2000 for +1 enhancement, 300 for masterwork, and lets say 10 for the weapon. 2310 is the base cost, down to 1732.5 after reduction of the base amount, then 1/2 of that for gp and 1/25 that for xp: 866.25 gp, 69.3 xp. But we have to calculate out the xp into gp, which is a 5:1 ratio, or 346.5 gp. So the cost for one of us to craft it would be 1212.75 gp, as opposed to 1617 if you crafted it yourself.

Assuming I didnt screw anything up there...

So basically it's: [(base cost - 25%)/2] + 5*[(base cost - 25%)/25]

Oh, and I can only make scrolls, potions, wands, and magic arms/armor. I cant make wondrous items or staves or anything.

Your math is off there. Only the magical properties are converted to 1/2 gp, 1/25 xp. Mundane components are converted to just 1/3 gp if created with Craft or Fabricate, or remain untouched if you buy them. So the example +1 longsword is actually 103.33 gp + 750 gp + 60 xp = 1153.33 gp.

Without your reductions, normal magic item crafting amounts of 70% of normal costs when done before the game begins (ie: with the 5gp:1xp conversion). With a 25% reduction to both, your costs are actually 52.5% of normal. Don't forget to calculate the mundane components separately (either at full price or 1/3 price, depending on whether you self-craft with Craft or Fabricate or not). Making an item masterwork is only a DC 20 Craft check, so if you can take 10 on it with a +10 modifier (should be very easy with your magic), you're golden.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2012, 10:28:44 AM »
I can probably nab it if no one else can, sure.

That would look incredibly silly!

So probably.

Sweet.  And Flasked Avenger has been implemented.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2012, 11:04:24 AM »
I was planning on taking Craft Wondrous Item, also. Because of reasons.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2012, 11:10:31 AM »
If you want to take it, that's fine. It frees up another feat for me, which I could either put to use on flasking or some other item creation feat we won't have covered between us. I've already got Magical Artisan (Brew Potion).
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2012, 01:22:05 PM »
Four is the greatest  number you can possibly do I think, since you only have one swift action. I would guess the intention was two though. Seems little strange to allow 4 natural attacks at full-BA at 1st level. But other than that both seem equally possible. I guess oslecano will respond and tells us.

Well, "Full BAB" at 1st level is +0...

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2012, 03:39:45 PM »

Well, "Full BAB" at 1st level is +0...

Well, that's also true  :)

But I mean compared to all the other creatures in oslecano's index. I think the maximum is 3, with one or two being secondary (although I haven't read all the entries). Of course Anexin expend's a swift action to gain four, but since it can't use it for anything else it's not such a great cost. But as I said, I am not sure what is the correct interpretation.

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2012, 05:03:55 PM »
So about item cost. If I get it straight magic items cost 52.5% of the cost + the mundane object cost. And the mundane objects cost 1/3 of the price and we don't have to pay for making them Masterwork?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 05:06:08 PM by samnemath »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2012, 05:09:12 PM »
The mundane materials are for things like weapons and armor. I'm not sure there's technically any mundane cost for wondrous items. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2012, 05:15:21 PM »
I  don't think there is. But I am more interested in the " not paying for masterwork" part and whether the 1/3 cost applies to other mundane objects.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2012, 06:04:53 PM »
I  don't think there is. But I am more interested in the " not paying for masterwork" part and whether the 1/3 cost applies to other mundane objects.

You pay 1/3 the cost of the masterwork component, which is in addition to the cost of the item. So for a MW Breastplate, for instance, you pay 66.67 gp for the armor and 50 gp to make it masterwork (instead of 150 if you were buying it in a shop). So instead of 350 gp it costs 116.67 gp. In other words, the total mundane cost is 1/3 normal, including normal item cost plus the cost to make it masterwork.

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2012, 02:13:26 PM »
My Golem has two Wand bracers (re-fluffed as Alternate Munition Canisters). I intend for them to hold 1 charge wands. (which will be ejected like spent ammo  :cool)

Any suggestions for good spells to have as one-shots?

Some spells I already decided:
1) Targeting Ray (tracer round)
2) Grease (oil canister)
3) Sleep (Knockout gas grenade)
4) Fog Cloud (Smoking screen grenade)

Edit: Since there is a minimum of 10 charges when buying a wand, i will see if I can find spells that would be useful only once per combat.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 02:38:52 PM by samnemath »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2012, 02:21:35 PM »
Note that while you can buy partially charged wands, it's with a minimum of 10 charges.

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2012, 02:27:35 PM »
Note that while you can buy partially charged wands, it's with a minimum of 10 charges.

Didn't know that, well this changes things somewhat. Still useful though.
Thanks for the heads up!